GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 1983

I can deal with your pathetic distaste for Manilla Road but Piece of Mind? You're shit.

You need to work on your insults sir, I feel entirely unhurt!

I actually own that maiden album and tried more than once to get into it. The more I listened to it the less I liked it if I'm being honest. Bought it for Where eagles dare, flight of Icarus and the trooper. But they became as stale cheese and began growing mold, and now have an odor..

Judas Priest don't really write epic heavy metal songs like Iron Maiden do. Show me something similar to "To Tame a Land," "Alexander the Great," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Where eagles Dare," "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and so on.

I love Judas Priest, but the only albums by them in my opinion that can compete with Iron Maiden's best are Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin.

When Iron Maiden released the masterpiece Powerslave, the same year Judas Priest released Defenders of the Faith. Need I say more?

Actually, I'm really not sure why the two get compared here so often.

wainds I would've used your own description of Crystal Logic as its quote, "metal by candlelight". Sums up the appeal of that album perfectly for me.

Anyway Piece of Mind should've been #1 you stupid fucks.

Reactions: Vilden and CiG
Judas Priest don't really write epic heavy metal songs like Iron Maiden do. Show me something similar to "To Tame a Land," "Alexander the Great," "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," "Where eagles Dare," "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and so on.

I love Judas Priest, but the only albums by them in my opinion that can compete with Iron Maiden's best are Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin.

When Iron Maiden released the masterpiece Powerslave, the same year Judas Priest released Defenders of the Faith. Need I say more?

Actually, I'm really not sure why the two get compared here so often.
100% agree, Priest, while great is mostly rockin'. Maiden is mystical and magical, big difference!

Reactions: CiG
Piece of Mind is the closest thing to an optimal Maiden album for me. It contains several of their greatest songs and is also consistent as fuck, with even the songs that are popularly considered filler being pretty damn great. I'm curious as to how a song survivor of that album would turn out, and in fact, if people are interested, I'll host one.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah do it. I love a good song survivor and since it's an album basically everyone here has heard we might get a lot of people voting.

I disagree that it should have been number one for this year. It deserved to be number 4, behind Slayer, Mercyful Fate and Satan but I'm fine with it being third.

Unexpected. I'm not quite sure where I land with that album just yet. Lately, Somewhere in Time is really doing it for me.

I'm surirpsed you're surprised. It and the self-titled (so long as you don't count Sanctuary) are the only albums where every track nails it for me. However, SSoaSS is far richer and conceptually engaging than the debut.

I would cluster NotB, PoM, and PS in spots 3-5. Those are their five "A" or "A-" albums in my eyes.