Top 10 Heavy Metal and NWOBHM Albums

How could you include Motörhead when they're not even metal? ;)

And I wouldn't include Venom in the NWOBHM list because they're so vastly different from all those other bands.

Motorhead is metal you fool! More metal than Sabbath if you ask me. And NWOBHM doesn't have a sound behind it, but rather is represented by a time period in which a surge of bands came through Britian and Venom came right at the peak of this movement. Know your facts before you spew such crap.

Motorhead is metal you fool! More metal than Sabbath if you ask me. And NWOBHM doesn't have a sound behind it, but rather is represented by a time period in which a surge of bands came through Britian and Venom came right at the peak of this movement. Know your facts before you spew such crap.

Haha, I've just been fucking with you guys! I'm a HUGE Motörhead fan so I was just referring to the fact that Lemmy refuses to take the term Heavy Metal on Motörhead. They're one of the few bands that actually got much harder with time.

So chill out man, I know my crap very well! :lol:

Haha, I've just been fucking with you guys! I'm a HUGE Motörhead fan so I was just referring to the fact that Lemmy refuses to take the term Heavy Metal on Motörhead. They're one of the few bands that actually got much harder with time.

So chill out man, I know my crap very well! :lol:

Good point :lol: But recognize Venom as NWOBHM and you shall be forgiven

Good point :lol: But recognize Venom as NWOBHM and you shall be forgiven

I do so. It's just that many NWOBHM bands share their certain style and Venom was just pretty different (though you can spot similarities with Motörhead or the more punk-ish style of early Maiden).

Anyway, while I certainly could understand if someone wouldn't want to include Venom there, I can definitely see reasons while people would include them.

I'm gonna make one list because I've been cooped up in the black and death metal undergrounds for so long and haven't done my homework.

In no order:

Manowar - Hail to England
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations (amazing album, absolutely amazing)
Savage - Loose 'n' Lethal (ditto)
Motorhead - Overkill
Venom - Welcome to Hell (I've always slightly preferred this to Black Metal)
Helloween - Walls of Jericho (I'm including this because I don't really consider it power metal)
Trouble - Psalm 9 (I'm including this because I don't really consider it doom metal)
Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (easily their best)

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (easily their best)

Fuck yeah, That is a fucking amazing album.

I'm not going to make a list to avoid looking like a tool. I suck at putting bands into genres at the best of times, never mind when your not even classifing them based on thier sound.

I'm going with the mish-mash approach too:

01. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
02. Danzig - Danzig II Lucifuge
03. Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years
04. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
05. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
06. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
07. Alchemist - Organasm
08. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
09. Satan - Court in the Act
10. Manilla Road - Crystal Logic

I'm noticing Venom and Mercyful Fate on these lists. Is this through the assumption that first-wave black metal is permissible to be classified as being just as much another genre?

Mercyful Fate and Venom are both Black Metal and Heavy Metal equally. Not 50/50, but rather 100% each. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Mercyful Fate is zero percent 'black metal.' Like Deicide, their only possible connection to black metal is lyrical content, but everything else about their music was oriented towards traditional heavy metal with some prog elements. They weren't important in development of black metal, and they certainly weren't themselves a black metal band.

Mercyful Fate is zero percent 'black metal.' Like Deicide, their only possible connection to black metal is lyrical content, but everything else about their music was oriented towards traditional heavy metal with some prog elements. They weren't important in development of black metal, and they certainly weren't themselves a black metal band.

:lol:

Heavy Metal
Manilla Road - Open the Gates
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Omen - Battle Cry
Rainbow - Rising
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Attacker - Battle at Helms Deep
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
Brocas Helm - Into Battle
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - The Lord Weird Slough Feg

NWOBHM
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Pagan Altar - Volume 1
Satan - Court in the Act
Legend - Legend
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Iron Maiden - Killers
Venom - At War With Satan

I suck at this genre... this thread may help...

Same here, I totally suck at this. I checked out Cloven Hoof's s/t last night and was fucking blown away though. Guess I need more.

Really? I always thought that album was one of the most representative doom albums.

I mean, they've got doom parts, but to me that album in particular is a synthesis of elements of what would eventually become doom metal and really aggressive trad metal. Check out "Assassin," "The Tempter," "Bastards Will Pay," "Tales of Brave Ulysses," hell, any of the songs on the debut and they're really not that doomy. There is a significant Sabbath influence in some of the songs, but I don't think it's enough to warrant them being classified as strictly a doom band.

Mercyful Fate is sorta black metal. I suppose they were black metal at the time. Nevertheless, I consider them more of a progressive traditional metal band than anything else.

Venom, to me, is just as much a black metal band as a NWOBHM band. They're just both.

The first wave of black metal was not black metal, but I can conceed that they are black metal.

I have a hard time seeing Mercyful Fate as just heavy metal. I always considered them thrash. I know they are different than thrash, but they are way more extreme than heavy metal.