NWOBHM - The Forgotten Genre?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
It seems to me that a lot of metal fans (including me up till now, but I want to change) do not give NWOBHM the attention that it deserves, and it is a style often overlooked in favour of its successor genres like thrash.

It seems that most people will be content with the discographies of bands like Saxon and Maiden to represent NOWBHM in general. Of course you could say this about any genre, as you can always look deeper into something than the basic 'big names', but I feel the NWOBHM falls especially victim to this.

I was browsing this site: http://www.truemetal.org/battle/remasters1.html

And it made me realise how much of this musical style I know so little about. Which is sad because my favourite band is Iron Maiden!

Check out tracks there by Jameson Raid, Fugitive, Satan, and others - this is a rich genre in itself which deserves just as much exploration as the metal styles that it influenced.

www.nwobhm.com

NWOBHM, due to the fact that it was so long ago and because everybody and their brother (literally) started their own band and record label to put out one 7", has fallen victim like no other scene to utter anonymity for so many amazing bands. There needs to be a massive reissue campaign for NWOBHM as a whole, instead of just focusing on the major bands as has been par for the course.

Necuratul said:
everybody and their brother (literally) started their own band and record label to put out one 7"

:lol: true, e.g. the three bands called Stormtrooper!

You just have to sift through I guess, and get recommendations like any other genre.

Not so long ago i've listened to Satan and Pagan Altar for the first time. I have no ideea how the fuck i heard of them so late. They're awesome :kickass:
And i have this feeling i'm missing a loooot of good bands just like this. Same happened to Pentagram and Manilla Road (i know they're different but i'm just saying). I guess i focused too much on just one genre (bm).

I got heavily into the NWOBHM genre a few years back... While some great bands came out of the genre, there were many bands that just weren't up to snub with most of today's metal genre.

Some highly recommended bands include:

Fist, Trespass, Diamond Head, Samson, Jaguar and Hollowground.

Angel Witch!

Pagan Altar is also the best band in the world. Probably.

The s/t Angel Witch rules, and the two Pagan Altar full-lengths I've found are also great (there are more, but they're pretty much impossible to acquire).

Other favourites of mine:
Satan - Court in the Act
Blitzkrieg - A Time of Changes
Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Elixir - The Son of Odin
Quartz - Satan's Serenade (single)
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

The other Pagan Altar releases are bootlegs of demos that were tape-traded throughout the 80's. There's about 5 full lengths all up in demo form, but only Volume 1 (Judgement of the Dead) was in good enough quality to be released. The others they're re-recording over time, like Lords of Hypocrisy, and the forthcoming Mythical and Magical.

Aye, that's pretty much what I heard from Vic:

Vic said:
They had four full-lengths plus a live album back in the day. It's just that runs were limited, they're all OOP now, and the masters are so damaged that they can't repress. That's why they had to rerecord Lords of Hypocrisy. The plans are to eventually rerecord them all IIRC...