NWOBHM - The Forgotten Genre?

Stand Up And Fight > Satan's Serenade, which is not as impressive as a lot of their other material.

Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations is a holy artifact of Heavy Metal.

Wow i didn't realize there was that much NWOBHN bands out there. Also there is a lot of bands out there i had no clue were NWOBHM before reading that site.

I thought krigoch likes power metal ?

Without NWOBHM and hairmetal 'power metal' would not exist. Power metal vocally and musically is very similiar to iron maiden for example.

Liking power metal saying NWOBHM sucks would be like enjoying death metal thinking thrash sucks. makes no sense at all.

If i'm wrong enlighten me what power metal sounds like to you and what you think it was influenced by.

The Greys said:
I thought krigoch likes power metal ?

Without NWOBHM and hairmetal 'power metal' would not exist. Power metal vocally and musically is very similiar to iron maiden for example.

Liking power metal saying NWOBHM sucks would be like enjoying death metal thinking thrash sucks. makes no sense at all.

it's more like finding your cool friend unattractive but being in love with her gay retarded cousin (and i guess in kriglochs case getting rejected by said cousin for being a flabmountain on legs)

The Timebird said:
it's more like finding your cool friend unattractive but being in love with her gay retarded cousin (and i guess in kriglochs case getting rejected by said cousin for being a flabmountain on legs)

That could be the single greatest comparsion ever.

The Timebird said:
The s/t Angel Witch rules, and the two Pagan Altar full-lengths I've found are also great (there are more, but they're pretty much impossible to acquire).

Other favourites of mine:
Satan - Court in the Act
Blitzkrieg - A Time of Changes
Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Elixir - The Son of Odin
Quartz - Satan's Serenade (single)
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

I love Witchfinder General. If they would of lasted longer I think we may be talking about them rather than Sabbath. They had some great songs.

The 5 absolute nwobhm essentials imo :
Witchfynde - Give Em Hell
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Iron Maiden - s/t
Angelwitch - s/t
Pagan Altar - Lords Of Hypocrisy

Overall, it is a pretty overrated "genre", though there is a fair reason for this. Some post - nwobhm bands kick major ass too (Tokyo Blade, Elixir..)

Around here all traditional metal in general is pretty fucking underrated.

Pretty much all NWOBHM I've heard is fantastic. A lot of single and demo compilations actually come out in Japan, however, not official.

And no, Grim Reaper is NOT NWOBHM. They're more of a jokey listen anyways. Who am I kidding, they are a joke. <beavis and butthead>OH NO, not these guys again...</b&b>

Hammer of Might said:
It seems to me that a lot of metal fans (including me up till now, but I want to change) do not give NWOBHM the attention that it deserves, and it is a style often overlooked in favour of its successor genres like thrash.

It seems that most people will be content with the discographies of bands like Saxon and Maiden to represent NOWBHM in general. Of course you could say this about any genre, as you can always look deeper into something than the basic 'big names', but I feel the NWOBHM falls especially victim to this.

I was browsing this site: http://www.truemetal.org/battle/remasters1.html

And it made me realise how much of this musical style I know so little about. Which is sad because my favourite band is Iron Maiden!

Check out tracks there by Jameson Raid, Fugitive, Satan, and others - this is a rich genre in itself which deserves just as much exploration as the metal styles that it influenced.

www.nwobhm.com
NWOBHM - relevant once, worn the fuck out since. Sorry.