the definitive discussioning of genre definitions discussion

-from hardcore primarily but metal is an influence
-no although obviously they often overlap
-fucking billions lol
-suffo and co
-one is metal and the other is not
-some of it rules, not all of it sounds like someone swallowing a blender

nwoahm is a sweeping term for shit mainstream US metal like shadows fall and trivium

sorry im feeling pretty lazy

Since when is grind not metal? This is an actual question, not sarcasm. I don't listen to a lot of grind, but I always thought it was within the genre

Grindcore has metal influences for sure, but it's at least equal parts other things, so it's debatable whether or not it actually is metal.

Why? It will just be a boring argument between people calling it metal and people calling it a combination of metal and the other genres that it shows influences from. Nobody cares.

What's confusing about it? I think it's easy to understand and has been adequately explained already.

Seems like a cop-out to me. Bands like Napalm Death and Repulsion always cited Celtic Frost, Venom, Sodom, Slayer etc as much as they cited Discharge, Minor Threat etc. But you can only get so far through influences. I'm more interested in a reason, stylistically/structurally, why grind does or does not fall within the definition of metal. Particularly bands that use predominantly blastbeats would seem to me to fall within metal, because in contrast punk has always predominantly relied on fast rock rhythms.

Blastbeats were first used as a defining characteristic of grindcore, not metal. As extreme music evolved in the late eighties, the two genres influenced and borrowed from each other and grindcore became less a bastardised version of hardcore and more a subgenre of metal.

I get that. I wasn't mentioning blastbeats to say "blastbeats are metal, therefore any music that uses blastbeats is metal", but rather "blastbeats are not rock, punk is (essentially) rock-based, therefore music that uses blastbeats is not punk". QED.

I hate screamo. But emos are now so anti-metal they are crediting grunge for their shitty 'music'. Question being, where the fuck did screamo come from?