Genre-defying bands........

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAzagthothx

likes jambands, too
Sep 8, 2009
Okay, so this is something I've been wondering about and meaning to post for some time now. Theres a number of bands I've been listening to a lot of lately, and incidentally a number of them seem to defy traditional/easy genre-classification.

So I'm wondering what you guys would call these bands:

Abominator - They're from Australia and have the drummer-singer from Destroyer 666. They're fast, with upper-mid-range vocals like Absu. But they aren't black metal.

Destroyer 666 - basically just like Abominator, but with a more classic thrash influence, from what I can tell, but definitely arne't a thrash band. But they aren't death metal, as in Morbid Angel or Deicide or Suffocation or Hate Eternal, but they aren't black metal, as in Thornspawn, Immortal, Darkthrone...

Belphegor - I'm ASSUMING these guys are considered black metal... but they write like death metal bands do... especially their first few albums. is THIS "blackdeath"? Because i think Behemoth sucks...

Angelcorpse - I guess I'm seeing a trend here, because they sound like Abominator/D666... fast blasting metal that isn't quite black metal, but definitely not traditional death metal...

Absu - I've heard these guys called both black metal AND death metal on separate occasions... I like to think of them as old school death metal, but I'm not sure.

Council of the Fallen - is THIS blackdeath?

One of the reasons I'm asking this is because I'm not exactly quite sure what to call me own band, Angeldeath. We sound kinda like Angelcorpse and Morbid Angel, but have vocals like Abominant, and play lots of fast speed picked stuff, but then we do a lot of groovey thrash stuff like Immortal and Slayer.

I donno... I've always just called us "death metal" but normally when I think of "death metal" i think of Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Incantation... and we A) don't have guttoral vocals B) don't tune down, and C) dont play breakdowns but we are most certainly NOT a black metal band.

Kinda funny tho I just noticed that most of the bands here playing this weird non-death/non-black style of metal have names that start with the letter "A" and are single-word names lol.

I don't mean to spam my band here, but I just wanted to get your guys input on this because I really don't know what to call us, and i'd like to have SOME sort of definitive response for marketing ourselves.

Old school death metal? Thats what I think of when I think us, because we play riff-based/rythmically-involved fast stuff like Morbid Angel, but we also do thrash grooves like Immortal and gallops like Slayer.

What about "Blast metal"? I think that would be VERY appropriate for bands like us, Angelcorpse, Abominator, Destroyer 666, and Absu.

anyway... just wondering what you all think on this subject. you can check our stuff out at www.myspace.com/angeldeath518 as i'm sure you're all already in possession of the other bands' material lol

Thanks guys :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.