What bands do YOU consider the First Wave of Black Metal?

Venom DID NOT INVENT black metal. Seriously, who tells you these things and you are repeating them? Some just used one of their album's title to name a genre. Generally a musical genre cant just be "invented" or "created" by ONE band or 2 albums ...geez.
As i said before its completely wrong to put a band under a genre just because of its lyrics. So those who say Bathory are right, those who say Mercyful Fate or Slayer are dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb. Yes lets call every band that has riffs and satanic lyrics "black metal". Not to mention that Venom's or Mercyful Fate's lyrics were COMPLETELY different from the lyrics of the standard black metal bands like Darkthrone or Mayhem.

Yes, let's keep naming the bands that came later and changed the original intentions of the genre as the founders because we don't want to admit that Black Metal started as something not so different from traditional Metal.

Regardless,

varg_vikernes_1987-1999_30.jpg

Frostangelstorm said:
...I am surprised Celtic Frost hasn't been mentioned yet(CTRL+F)though.

I am not 100% sure on this, but i'm almost positive that Hellhammer turned into Celtic Frost after HH broke up.

Venom coined the term Black Metal, and definitely influenced the whole scene, though to call them black metal by todays terms is not quite accurate. But, as the one who started this thread mentioned, labels were different back in the day.

Mercyful Fate used to be called black metal as well, and again, they brought a lot to the table in terms of lyrical content, blatant satanism (which some of you may not have noticed, but modern BM borrows from this heavily), and imagery. I know, many of you will cry Kiss here, but King Diamond took it beyond anything Kiss ever did and made the whole feeling different.

That's my defense for those two and they are as much a part of the scene as anyone. Bathory and Hellhammer are a given.

Now, i know most people are going to bitch about this, but what about Possessed? Sure, they can easily be argued as a thrash band or a death metal band, but i think they had as much early black metal spirit as venom did. It was about playing ugly, satanic, poorly produced and heavily distorted music. Not too different from black metal really.

Dodens Grav said:
Yes, let's keep naming the bands that came later and changed the original intentions of the genre as the founders because we don't want to admit that Black Metal started as something not so different from traditional Metal.
For fuck's shake black metal did not started then. What "intentions" you are talking about? Venom's intentions for having a laugh with the whole "satan" thing? Good thing to know by the way that these "intentions" lasted for no more than 2 or 3 albums per band..
Do you guys actually KNOW that people then were calling Venom or M.F. "black metal"? because i know they were just calling them heavy metal (M.F.) or n.w.o.b.h.m. (Venom).

"Black metal" as a genre began with Venom, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate, Sodom and Bathory. Black metal as a conscious conceptual and artistic movement began with Tormentor's Anno Domini and Bathory's Blood, Fire, Death and Hammerheart.

IOfTheStorm said:
As i said before its completely wrong to put a band under a genre just because of its lyrics. So those who say Bathory are right...are dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb.

Even though early Bathory uses the exact musical ingredients for traditional black metal.:err: You fucking moron.

Originally Posted by IOfTheStorm
As i said before its completely wrong to put a band under a genre just because of its lyrics. So those who say Bathory are right...are dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb.

Pull The Plug said:
Even though early Bathory uses the exact musical ingredients for traditional black metal.:err: You fucking moron.

Can you read?

Musically the majority of Bathory's first four albums aside from the vocals are Speed/Thrash, so Venom is just as accurate an answer as Bathory.

IOfTheStorm said:
Venom DID NOT INVENT black metal. Seriously, who tells you these things and you are repeating them? Some just used one of their album's title to name a genre. Generally a musical genre cant just be "invented" or "created" by ONE band or 2 albums ...geez.
As i said before its completely wrong to put a band under a genre just because of its lyrics. So those who say Bathory are right, those who say Mercyful Fate or Slayer are dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb. Yes lets call every band that has riffs and satanic lyrics "black metal". Not to mention that Venom's or Mercyful Fate's lyrics were COMPLETELY different from the lyrics of the standard black metal bands like Darkthrone or Mayhem.

thank you

Ben_t said:
Originally Posted by IOfTheStorm

Can you read?

Argh, he just constructed his sentence weird I thought he listed Bathory, Mercyful Fate and Slayer together as the same thing. Apologies.

DoomsdayZach said:
I am not 100% sure on this, but i'm almost positive that Hellhammer turned into Celtic Frost after HH broke up.

Venom coined the term Black Metal, and definitely influenced the whole scene, though to call them black metal by todays terms is not quite accurate. But, as the one who started this thread mentioned, labels were different back in the day.

Mercyful Fate used to be called black metal as well, and again, they brought a lot to the table in terms of lyrical content, blatant satanism (which some of you may not have noticed, but modern BM borrows from this heavily), and imagery. I know, many of you will cry Kiss here, but King Diamond took it beyond anything Kiss ever did and made the whole feeling different.

That's my defense for those two and they are as much a part of the scene as anyone. Bathory and Hellhammer are a given.

Now, i know most people are going to bitch about this, but what about Possessed? Sure, they can easily be argued as a thrash band or a death metal band, but i think they had as much early black metal spirit as venom did. It was about playing ugly, satanic, poorly produced and heavily distorted music. Not too different from black metal really.

excellent post :headbang: good to see a newer member with some good stuff to say! I agree with where you're coming from with Possessed, and I agree it seems very blackened.

And I think you also make the good point that it is pointless judging earlier bands by today's classifications, if we are trying to agree on what exactly 'black metal' means.

And yeah I think Hellhammer did pretty much turn into Celtic Frost.

Yeah dude Mercyful Fate and Venom are definitely BM.

I mean, by today's standards, it's debatable if Black Sabbath were anything more than hard rock. Which they have never been, because the'yre 100% pure fucking metal. But by today's standards of extremity...