Do you consider Slipknot to be Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am curiously waiting for a number of responses, including an explanation of Morbid Angel's impact on Slipknot's music. No one ever learned anything by not having a discussion about it.

well, if you do not similarities of iowa nu metal and florida death metal, there is no hope for you sir! wub wub wub wub wub wub wubb!!
for example, morbid angel has vocals, slipknot has vocals
morbid angel has guitar, slipkkknot has 2 i think.
morbid angel has a bass, so does slipknot
morbid angel has drums, so does slipknot
morbid angel has lyrics about babylonian gods, and im sure that with the war and all, one of the 11 guys in slipknot has to have heard about iraq, so you see sir, you really have no arguement here.

Last time I checked, it doesn't really matter how you're tuning your guitar, when you're playing a fucking hardcore riff!

Besides, Slipknot doesn't possess then spirit of metal, so all this arguing about theory is quite useless.

Most of the arguments against them are based on what is common, so I think it does matter as it greatly alters the sound and that is what the band is about, sound. I am not sure how you can argue they dont have the spirit of metal, if you have watched their home videos they act like a metal band should. Stop fucking getting your panties into a knot over them because you dont like them.

But there are solos in many other genres, and spoken word isn't even that common in metal. So these are poor arguments for calling Slipknot metal.

You missed the important part:

"Please expand on where you see this influence in their music, and how this overrides all the other non-metal influences in their music and makes them undeniably metal."

So stop dancing around and explain your position on this point.

No, the primary influence behind Slayer was metal. The punk influence complimented the metal core. If the biggest influence on Slayer was punk then they would be a punk band.

Why? How can a punk subgenre be metal? How is this different from calling thrash metal punk?

Again, this just seems like you have a fuzzy conception of what metal is all about.

Slayer didn't start using hardcore oriented riffs in abundance until the late 1990s when people started calling them nu metal, so I'm not sure how well that argument holds up.

Last I checked not much metal is either.

How can you even say they are trying to play metal? Look at the intent of their music, what they are trying to convey - how can you kid yourself for one second that this band is trying to be metal? This is the most important consideration, as art there is virtually *nothing* Slipknot has in common with metal, and musically we have clearly shown that their influence lies elsewhere.

You have failed to prove first that there is significant metal influence in Slipknot, and second that this influence is the primary element in their music. And the second point is as far as I can see impossible to prove, as the primary element, the core, the main message is not something familiar and integral to metal, but "I'm different, I'm special, I don't fit in, no one understands me, etc.". This should scream 1990s hard alternative rock (nu metal) to you, not metal.

Just pointing out that when people have written dozens of reasons why Slipknot may be metal that posting "I just think it's bizarre that ppl think they are not metal just because a bunch of 13 year olds listen to them" makes it seem like you probably aren't really keeping up with the discussion.

Dancing around? What the fuck. I just said they have a lot of influences, mostly metal. Slipknot are not undeniably metal, if they were there wouldn't be these arguments every four weeks. Most people however do agree so far that they are metal and as much as you want to fuss about it, if you ask most people whether or not they are metal on the street, they will say yes. Does it matter to them that some people believe they know better hence they are right? The majority of the metal community is divided on this, and if it fell to a vote, or you asked the band, the response would be it is metal. You are missing most of my argument in references to Slayer being heavily influenced by punk (which they were, check the reasons behind undisputed attitude) not effecting the outcome of the band. What I am trying to say is it is possible to create metal without starting off with metal, a jazz musician could come along and in experimenting create something that falls directly into the paramaters of metal without hearing any in the past, it is not impossible. Black Sabbath may have been credited with starting metal but a lot of metal bands did spring up afterwards with no link to Sabbath at all, not even hearing them in many cases.

I cannot be fucked continuing this argument, not because I dont care, but because you are going to retort with the same views over and over and it is going nowhere. Bitch about this all you want, I dont give a fuck, argue it with someone else, I have better things to do. Bands dont need to be primarily influenced by metal to fall into metal, if you disagree, fine, we will go our seperate ways. /contribution to thread

Just pointing out that when people have written dozens of reasons why Slipknot may be metal that posting "I just think it's bizarre that ppl think they are not metal just because a bunch of 13 year olds listen to them" makes it seem like you probably aren't really keeping up with the discussion.

I did read the whole thread, else I wouldn't have quoted something of every page in my first post in this thread. And alot of ppl wouldn't be so anti-slipknot if 13 year olds didn't listen to them, I'm quite sure of that.

i think they fall under the umbrella somewhere between sunset strip and norway. metal is a vast genre, that everyone gets in free, why not slipknot?

just come on, why not? come on guys. come on. why not? why not guys, why not? let slipknot in guys, come on. come on.just, just why not? what could it hurt? come on. seriously come on. why not guys, seriously, why not?

You have failed to prove first that there is significant metal influence in Slipknot,
He doesn't need to, you admitted it yourself right here:
You said:
Look at the big picture: Slipknot is not a metal band trying to play metal, they are a band combining hardcore/grindcore/industrial/alternative/hard rock/rapcore/metal/etc to convey
Emphasis mine.
and second that this influence is the primary element in their music.
Begging the question. Who says metal needs to be the 'primary element'?

Or is this just your opinion?
Edit - You're not trying to pass off your opinion as fact, are you?

Most of the arguments against them are based on what is common, so I think it does matter as it greatly alters the sound and that is what the band is about, sound. I am not sure how you can argue they dont have the spirit of metal, if you have watched their home videos they act like a metal band should. Stop fucking getting your panties into a knot over them because you dont like them.

Then your entire argument falls through, too, then, doesn't it? Seeing as it's not normal for metal bands to play hard core riffs, I mean.

And you obviously don't know what the "spirit of metal" means, Mr. Herman. Slipknot is a jump da fuck up sorta band, with a fucking gimmick beaten to death to make it easier to fuck stupid teenage girls. Don't make me bring examples, boy!

So if you have a hard time telling which of these two tabs belonged to Darkthrone or The Exploited, their respective genres would be in question? Is that the reasoning of this thread so far?
PHP:
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|---------------------------------9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-7-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9--
|---------------------------------9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-7-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9--
|-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6---7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-5-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7--
|-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-----------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
--9-9-9-9-9------------------------------------------------------------|
--9-9-9-9-9------------------------------------------------------------|
--7-7-7-7-7--7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-77-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6--|