What do you consider intelligent music?

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I was having a discussion with a guy who actually enjoyed boybands :)( ), and we started discussing intelligent music, as in intelligent structures/compositions.

I said that most metal bands make far more intelligent music than, say, Britney Spears' songwriters, or those who make up those Spice Girls songs.

So what do you consider "an intelligent metal band"?

I'd like to mention Opeth, Arcturus, and Dream Theater, as well as 70s prog, to describe intelligent music.

But there are actually people out there who claim Roxette to make intelligent music.

(Dis)agreements?

I'd agree with most of the bands above. I also think Britney's songwriters re intelligent. The music isn't but, they write catchy music and gets payed quite a bit for it (I think).

I would consider well written music, with many layers - eg. more than just a melody bass and drums and vocals intelligent. I think a lot of the Cure's songs are very well written. Enigma and Delerium also. Quite a few people :)

Opeth, Meshuggah, Led Zeppelin.

It's hard, because looking back, you can only rate a band within its era. As time goes on, music becomes more complex.

Jimi Hendrix - was intelligent in its time, nbut maybe not compared to bands of today.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Opeth, Meshuggah, Led Zeppelin.

It's hard, because looking back, you can only rate a band within its era. As time goes on, music becomes more complex.

Jimi Hendrix - was intelligent in its time, nbut maybe not compared to bands of today.

most classical music is way more layered than most any rock or metal band. I don't think era is that important. music should stand the test of time. hendrix does, i think.

hmm, let me see:

° Shape of Despair
° Evoken
° Saviour Machine
° Arcturus
° Dolorian
° Samael
° Katatonia
° My Dying Bride
° Death
° Tiamat
° Diabolical Masquerade
° Hollenthon
° Opeth
° Emperor (In the Nightside Eclipse)
° Hypocrisy
° ...

Cheers

OK Guys...this is a difficult one...firstly, I think the question is difficult to answer because one person's concept of intelligent might not represent anothers ideal...but...I shall explain my view... I (believe it or not) am a classical flautist...I have been involved with music composition since the age of 13...my understanding of compostion leads me to conclude that "all music" is"intelligent music" as it is all based on the same thing...I think I am making little sense but here is an scenario.....

When Metallica write music, I class that in the same field as Vivaldi composing lets say...The 4 Seasons. There is no difference in the effort and structure required, to construct the piece, obviously less instruments and more modern input etc etc...

So I class any person who writes music, including the people (songwriters) who write for Boy Bands and the like as one...for me it is the emotion and depth that the listener gains from a piece of music that defines its worth...

On a personal level I find NiN incredibly intelligent because most of NiN moves me to emotion...99% of all classical music is *in my opinion* intelligent too. I can sit and listen to Steps and Britney and take it or leave it...Pop has its place in music hostory...it sorts the artists from the puppets!:p

I know you must all be getting sick of me....

:loco:

I agree with most of the bands listed above and I'd also like to add Morbid Angel to the list particarly their lyrics on Gateways to Annihilation.

Pink Floyd has also written some of the most meaningful songs I've ever heard aswell.

overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
and deep beneath the rolling waves
in labyrinths of coral caves
the echo of a distant time comes willowing across the sand
and everything is green and submarine

and no-one showed us to the land
and no-one knows the where or whys
but something stirs and something tries
and starts to climb towards the light

strangers passing in the street
by chance two separate glances meet
and I am you and what I see is me
and do I take you by the hand
and lead you through the land
and help me understand the best I can

and no-one calls us to move on
and no-one forces down our eyes
and no-one speaks and no-one tries
and no-one flies around the sun

cloudless everyday you fall upon my waking eyes
inviting and inciting me to rise
and through the window in the wall
come streaming in on sunlight wings
a million bright abassadors of morning

and no-one sings me lullabies
and no-one makes me close my eyes
and so I throw the windows wide
and call to you across the sky

ECHOES

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
LOL - no, how could we?
Apart from making us all seem like dunces by putting a lot more thought into what you write than the rest of us mere drooling cretins, you're wonderful! Plus you let me stay at your place and eat your food... hehehe :)

WHAT...you have been staying at my place and eating all my food??? Thought the fridge looked empty Sunday morning :OMG:

Just kidding Honey...Pceptimus says "Hi"

Have to say Dill this is an excellent site...

Oh and I have to add what I missed on my previous post...
PINK FLOYD - how could I have forgot to state them as being an intelligent band...:mad:

Intelligent music......

MARDUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem*

Being mostly a classically trained musician like Spacebunni (ten years as a classical guitarist before I saw the light and went to metal :) ) I need music with 'depth'. Stuff like Opeth, ..In The Woods, My Dying Bride, Arcturus, Ulver, Emperor, where there are alot of layers and the song doesn't always end up where it started. What I regard as a 'classical' approach (sweeping generalisation, I know). I get bored real quick of the 'verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus' format, which I suspect is behind my general dislike of 'nu-metal', and most pop stuff on the radio. Problem is, doing classical music theory, you have to learn how to transcribe songs just by listening to them and without trying to play along, so any music I hear, I have all the guitar parts etc.. visualised in my head. The above bands are what I regard as intelligent, and are what I'd point out to fellow classical musicians, the music is just alot more involving to listen to (IMHO). That's not to say I don't like stuff I wouldn't include in the 'intelligent' group, it's just the distinction I draw. 'Intelligent' does not necessarily = good.

Originally posted by spacebunni
So I class any person who writes music, including the people (songwriters) who write for Boy Bands and the like as one...for me it is the emotion and depth that the listener gains from a piece of music that defines its worth...

I disagree here. I totally agree some music for boy/girl bands is well written. However in my mind, much music is badly written. For example Slipknot - if you took all the distortion off, not only would you notice the lack of tune, but the fact that I doubt very much whether the music itself holds together.

Therefore I would agree to a certain extent - all thoughtfull well written music is intelligent, but I don't think thats all music.

I forgot a few others I deem intelligent:

Mercyful Fate
Queensryche

The problem seems to be in the definition of intelligent. Is it smart lyrics? Complex musical arrangement? Or do you need a balanced combination of music and lyrics?

I can't really tell you why I picked my choices, but they seem intelligent to me.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
I forgot a few others I deem intelligent:

Mercyful Fate
Queensryche

The problem seems to be in the definition of intelligent. Is it smart lyrics? Complex musical arrangement? Or do you need a balanced combination of music and lyrics?

I can't really tell you why I picked my choices, but they seem intelligent to me.

I did state in my post that one person's perception of "intelligent music" might and won't be the same as another's...deeming this a non-argument because we can all come up with our own scenario's of what intelligent music is...I personally feel that if someone has the brain and the understanding to write music (not including lyrics) that is comprehendable to the ear - regardless of added effects, and regardless of how many instruments are used) then that person is, for me, is producing intelligent music...whether I can stand the sound that they produce is another matter....

Originally posted by godisanathiest

I disagree here. I totally agree some music for boy/girl bands is well written. However in my mind, much music is badly written. For example Slipknot - if you took all the distortion off, not only would you notice the lack of tune, but the fact that I doubt very much whether the music itself holds together.

Therefore I would agree to a certain extent - all thoughtfull well written music is intelligent, but I don't think thats all music.

I agree that not all lyrics are well thought through in the process of making some music. But, the inteligence, for say, slipknot is not in the lyrics - its in the whole piece itself, they made their music to get an emotional response in this case anger and hate, the same could be the case for Henry Rollins and many other bands.

You see lyrics don't mean a thing unless you have a good tune to back them up, there is a lot more thought put into music as a whole, not just one part of it...

(???):loco: :headbang:

Originally posted by pceptimus

I agree that not all lyrics are well thought through in the process of making some music. But, the inteligence, for say, slipknot is not in the lyrics - its in the whole piece itself, they made their music to get an emotional response in this case anger and hate, the same could be the case for Henry Rollins and many other bands.

You see lyrics don't mean a thing unless you have a good tune to back them up, there is a lot more thought put into music as a whole, not just one part of it...

(???):loco: :headbang:

I'm shocked you think slipknot have some intelligence! ;) And I quite agree with what u say :)