What kind of music you consider to be good or bad?

Tuuletar

Amokala
Dec 16, 2012
Finland
wolverica.deviantart.com
What do you think?

Well, I tend to like the most of those bands that combine different music styles and that's why have variety in their songs. I like also different instruments; that may be one reason for my fascination for folk music, as I like the sound of those traditional instruments and violins.
And the funny things is that I do love melancholic music, even though I'm not that melancholic person, heh. But I feel there are much more feeling and depth in that kind of music, as if the happy music would lack that certain feeling...

Like I said in other thread, I don't want to limit myself to one genre only. The most important is that the music creates good feelings and I can find something meaningful or even personal of it.

And that's why I don't like those songs that are only about partying or more superficial themes - that may explain my dislike towards mainstream pop music and especially that Finnish "pop-rap". Then again I don't like lyrics about struggles of human relationships, too... like I said, I prefer melancholic music, but that starts to be bit too angsty. Well yeah, to me there are some good poprock music, but at least the Finnish ones tend to sing mainly about those themes, so I do have bit mixed opinion of this genre.

I rarely seek out new artists that aren't metal and it's 90% of what I listen to these days, so i'll put in my 2 cents on what I consider to be good metal:

I like metal bands that are unique, or at least don't follow cliche's of their genre. I don't like too many bands that religiously stick to the "scream the verse catchy chorus" formula, but I love when bands have two vocalists and are able to mix it up really well with vocal arrangements. I love melodic death metal but I don't really like metal when it's too extreme (black metal or straight up death metal). Musical ability is a plus (i love me a good guitar solo) but i'll take good songwriting over good musicianship any day. Music that conveys true emotion is a huge plus for me (doomy stuff like Woods of Ypres and While Heaven Wept). I love unique and powerful singers (which is how I got roped into Amorphis) but I can be very picky. My favorite subgenres of metal are melodic death, folk, industrial, prog and power (all of which influence my band ORCumentary). There are exceptions to every rule and I enjoy some bands that don't follow these "criteria" but when i'm looking for new music this is more or less what I go by.

I agree with a couple of your points; doomy music does seem to convey true emotion better than a lot of other kinds of metal i've heard (have you heard Grey Skies and Electric Light by WoY?) Nothing wrong with a good love/heartbreak song, but if it's done in a way where the genuine emotions are captured rather than presented in a contrived way (Redemption is an example of this).

There are very few styles of music I will write off without giving a chance, but I despise rap, country, pop, mainstream Nickelback-esque "rock", indie, deathcore, most metalcore, "djent", scene bands, and classic rock/metal.

Probably the main reason I don't listen to much aside from metal any more is because once I started getting into the genre, everything else just sounded weak, plus there's so much more room for experimentation in metal than in any other genre. Although Poets of the Fall are definitely my favorite non-metal band and are able to combine a lot of interesting elements into their music.

I try not to be oriented on a certain genre. As I said in another thread, I try to be as eclectic as possible about my music, which means any genre, any artist, as long as it feels good to by. That said, I think that going 'artist by artist' is the best approach.

However, going through the music I usually listen to, majority falls into 'metal' category, sure, but I try not to limit myself there. From classic '80s heavy, over thrash, to doom, death, black, 'dark', post-metal and whatever metal there is (I usually avoid -core stuff, though - not because it's a trend not to like it, but because I simply don't feel good about majority of -core stuff I heard).
As for what is my most preferred style of metal - again, no specifics there.
I too like melancholic music, and I guess you could say that bands who plau such are the ones I mostly listen to.

Besides metal...anything. From classic to rap. I listen what I like. Period.

So, to wrap it up, there is no simple 'good' or 'bad' music. More like bad musicians who can make music seem bad - in that case, majority of turbo folk would be the music I consider 'bad' (most of you don't know about it - and for God's sake, don't look for it) .

The majority of what I listen to is metal. This can be confirmed by my LastFM account. Beyond that, though, it doesn't really give you a sense of what I consider good or bad. For me, even the vast majority of metal is bad to meh, but then that's Sturgeon's law -- 90% of everything is crud.

Outside of metal I listen to classical, jazz, ethnic folk rock, prog and some older goth/punk/industrial stuff like The Cure and Dead Can Dance and still like Alan Wilder era Depeche Mode. I like a lot of post-rock and post-metal. I like good guitar stuff like Dada, Jeff Beck, Zep, Hendrix, Kingston Wall. I like some EBM, but a lot of it leaves me cold. Even the lists of 'If you like X you will like Y' generally don't do me much good because bands can sound similar and still lead me to a different opinion of them -- for example I like Front 242 and don't mind Front Line Assembly, but think that 242 is by far the better group. I like Cynic, but can't get into Atheist. Don't ask me why, though.

I don't like much country or rap or gospel or soul, but at the same time I can think of examples of all of these that I think are really good. Where I hate these genres, I do it because I find the music fake or conventional or formulaic or too narcissistic -- which is also why I don't like a lot of metal.

Also, if I think that the person making the music is a raging asshole, I have a hard time liking the music itself.

Good music is music that I like and bad music is music I don't like :D

I like many kinds of music - usually the one that moves me and speaks to me - be it musically or lyrically - From Pink Floyd through Depeche Mode (Songs of Faith and Devotion is one of the greatest albums ever, imho) to Machine Head and a lot in between. I like music that has emotions in it, preferably of the darker kind, though I don't consider myself as a morbid person. (There's a contradiction for you). I would say I like music that comes from the heart. "Happy, happy, joy, joy" sugary music tends to annoy me a great deal, as I find it superficial and unnatural.

I pride myself as being fairly open-minded and am willing to lend an ear to quite a few genres, but in the end of the day I end up with rock and metal, though, of course, the majority of it is actually generic BS. I also like blues, some classical stuff, swing, folk (Irish, mostly, and some Viking, plus the few local bands who mix metal with Bulgarian folk instruments) alternative (whatever this means these days). There were times when I was also listening to some electronica and, I do enjoy some 80's-90's pop music :oops: Occasionally I also dabble in some industrial and EBM, sludge and stoner, but very occasionally.

I notice that generally I prefer music that is hard to be labeled in one genre.

I generally dislike power metal, hardcore (anything with "core" in the title, as a matter of fact), rap metal (an absolute disgrace). Black metal I find generally hilarious, though, I must admit, somewhat intriguing. I have serious mistrust for anything "post-". And I fucking hate chalga (go google it - the wikipedia description is fairly correct and unbiased) - this is the creme dela creme of shit music :puke:

I haven't listened to much rap metal other than Rage Against the Machine, who I dig, and the early Faith No More/Anthrax offerings back when hip hop was young and still full of ideas.

I haven't listened to much rap metal other than Rage Against the Machine, who I dig, and the early Faith No More/Anthrax offerings back when hip hop was young and still full of ideas.

I'd beg your pardon, good sir, but Faith No More is anything but rap metal. And I actually like them a lot.

It shows my age that when someone mentions rap metal the first two songs I think of (in order) are:

and...

(even before I think of Bring the Noise).

Last edited by a moderator:
(Sorry, Trin. I knew I was going to pull you in with that Faith No More comment). ;)

To make up for that, here's one for the 'good music' column that is not metal:

Jeff Beck is one of the only people I can think of that simultaneously makes me want to both pick up a guitar and give up the guitar forever. When he starts tapping with that slide above the last fret... perkele!

Oh, that's fine :D But I really don't associate FNM with neither rap, nor metal, nor rap metal. And I don't like Anthrax anyway.

But when I said rap metal, I meant those:

I must admit, somewhat intriguing. I have serious mistrust for anything "post-".

Why?
Many people seem to think that 'post-' musicians and genres are just pretentious f*cks, which is true for some, but there are plenty of post-rock, -metal and even -punk bands which are just way to original and creative to be overlooked.

Still, there's a problem of what is exactly 'post-'...

You answered yourself :D
Most of them are indeed pretentious f*cks. A considerable number of those who claim to understand it and enjoy it, are usually even worse ;) There is this RJ here who thinks he's the shit since he likes post- ... I don't listen to his show, of course, but I know people who are pretending to enjoy the stuff he plays, just to kind of associate with his Cool and feel superior.

But that's fine, it doesn't bother me, as long as I don't have to put up with it on a daily basis.

You answered yourself :D
Most of them are indeed pretentious f*cks. A considerable number of those who claim to understand it and enjoy it, are usually even worse ;) There is this RJ here who thinks he's the shit since he likes post- ... I don't listen to his show, of course, but I know people who are pretending to enjoy the stuff he plays, just to kind of associate with his Cool and feel superior.

But that's fine, it doesn't bother me, as long as I don't have to put up with it on a daily basis.

True, there are some douchebags here and there, and I agree with you to an extent, but I still think it's worth giving it a shot. tuonelan listed some awesome bands, if you'd like to try.

But, of course, everybody has own taste. :)

I like metal music. I don't know how to describe it deeply praising way. It just makes me feel good. Sometimes only have to choose how hard metal/black metal I need for that day/time. Ah, this music style it calms me.

Congratulations on catching up, Eddie :kickass:

Troll-cat.gif