What do you dislike about Opeth's music?

I thought Deliverance was definitely necessary. Opeth wanted to do their own version of a straight death metal album, and they succeded. None of their albums were bad enough as to wish that they never came to be. But I guess with such high standards that fans have for their music, someone's bound to be disappointed.

Steven Wilson needs to stay out of Opeth's music, musically. He can produce, even though I'm not that fond of his style. But I don't want/like elements from his music to come across in Opeth's music. They were just fine even before Blackwater Park, which is, coincidentally, my least favorite Opeth album. But that hardly means much, anyway. They're all masterpieces. Well, maybe not Damnation. ;)

I think the fact that Mikeal Akerfeldt isnt the best singer only adds to the music. This is METAL! It's not supposed to be classical music, and I think that a perfect singer would take away the passion in the music. I think his voice is warm, and beautiful especially on damnation.

If there are some things that Opeth shouldn't do than it is making happy songs with simplified lyrics whilst hiring a 'better' singer...

I think that Akerfeld has a very good voice, and although it seems (mostly live) that he sometimes isnt able to nail down the right tone, i like his voice characteristics and the "tone" of his voice much more over singers like gildenlöw and keenan, who are actually considered "better" by many people.

In comparison with Opeth's former releases, Akerfelds voice has grown a lot. And even if id say that he does not have the most perfect (when it comes to accuracy) voice i know, he definitely has my favorite voice.

ShroudOfDusk said:
I dont have a problem with you liking the outro to Deliverance... lots of people do. What I strongly disagree with is you calling it an 'awsome riff', when it hardly even resembles a riff. "Passage", "segment", any other word but riff.
I'm sorry my terminology is so general... I can see why you flipped out so strongly now. :loco:

Mikeals voice does crack sometimes. Listen to the lines-

"You sighed and let me in" from Leper Affinity
"Lost here is nowhere" from Dirge For November

They both show that his voice isnt the best. But I would have thought that he could easily have just redone it after listening to it and seeing the problems. But he doesn't...maybe it's supposed to sound like that?

Lol it was about the only one I could find. From one of their very few live gigs after they changed to black metal. Can't remember the site though.

Moonstruck said:
If there are some things that Opeth shouldn't do than it is making happy songs with simplified lyrics whilst hiring a 'better' singer...

You seem to get an exaggerated version of what I tried to say.
What I meant is that maybe just to add to the dynamic, they should put in a song that relfected hope, like a ray of light to pierce the gloom :D or something. I mean even the calmer numbers are downright moody.
BWP definitely could have used at least one song that was not downright depressing. Even the extra tracks Patterns in the Ivy II and Still Day... don't let up.

^^why even post here you festering corpse cunt. if you dislike everything about the band then fuck off.