What do you do when ppl tell you that Opeth's music is good but the vox suck?

I tell them to imagine what it would sound like with clean vocals, like what kind of clean singing could possibly fit the mood. It usually makes them realize the purpose.

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Well, Bruce is a better vocalist than Mikael, what's your point?

:p

My point obviously is that if Bruce sang over Opeths music, it would be amusing.

I don't really care... they are just missing out on good music.

I never liked them myself.

But I just realised that they are just like any part of music, a way to present and emotion, I realised they were an intergral part to metal, and I just got used to them.

A lot of Death Growls are similar, scratchy, and the reason I love Mikaels so much is because he is really deep and smooth. He's one of the best. I still like all other growls though...

Maybe people need to look at it that way...

i never had a problem with growls from the first time i heard them... i mean i went from metallica to cryptopsy, in flames and opeth overnight. i love growling vox :)

but on the other hand i can see why people would not like them... they are pretty aggressive...

Originally posted by ezekiel
i really like when bands mix screaming vocals and clean vocals, and heavy music and acoustic stuff. but i prefer their lighter side.
by the way, i'm just getting into opeth. what is ther most mellow album?

No, definately not BWP.... I would definately say that Morningrise is the most mellow album.... the whole album has that entire mellow feel.... I don't know why anyone would say BWP.... BWP is definately on their heavier and dark side....

Those people are nothing more than ignorant fools! I mean, it's simply impossible not to hear the emotion in the vocals by Mikael Akerfeld, Nick Holmes or Thomas Lindberg. These desperate cries and angry growls are so beautiful. Bunch of fuckfaces that cannot open their ears for it.

well i just got morningrise yesterday and it's really good. i can't wait for the new mellow cd to come out. this is definetely a band i need to get more into.

When I can tell that people do not have the patience or interest in the music itself, i don't bother explaining 'death metal' vocals. If I can see that someone has an interest in the music I might take the time out to explain that it's like another instrument or layer in the mix. It adds to the atmosphere of the music and is probably an acquired taste.

A few listens usually helps people get over the initial shock of the brutallity of the sound and to experience the music as a whole. My girlfriend isn't bothered by the vocals anymore and can actually hear and appreciate the music I listen to now.

First time I heard 'death metal' vocals I liked them. Actually, I first got into heavy music via black metal in the early-to-mid 90's, so when I first heard the black metal screams I thought they complimented the music and created the extreme sound I was looking for.

I appreciate bands who use both styles of vocals also, but I do grow tired of 'growling' vocals and appreciate music with clean vocals or aggressive (similar to Meshugga or SYL) slightly more. If the heaviness can be maintained without the growling, I'm happy. There aren'y many bands who can do this though.