What do you think the future holds for Opeth?

BRI

Dec 30, 2004
As Mikael has mentioned, Opeth aren't young anymore. According to the band, they will soon begin recording their 9th studio album, and release their second live dvd. So where do you think they will be heading next? This is not intended to be just about the next album, but in everything Opeth does. This is generally a speculation thread.
How long (in years, or albums) do you think it will be until they throw in the towel?
Do you think they will stick with it like many of the bands of the 70's and stick together until they are on their pension?
Do you believe Roadrunner will have an effect (positive or negative) on the next album? Since it will be the first that they record while under the label. Or do you think Opeth will leave Roadrunner?
What about members - can you see any leaving? Or maybe a 6th member to join (perhaps to play the lute). Maybe collaborations on future albums like SW's input onto the Music for Nations records. Perhaps Mikael will leave to follow a career in musical stand-up, while Mendez can become the new model for calvin klein, leaving Per on vocals.
Can you see them begin to headline tours with their support as a band they once supported themselves? (like they already have with Nevermore)

Yes, I will stop there, but I can think of many more things to consider

they will continue to do what they want, and make great music. Mikael will stop growling when he's about 60, and then they'll play 70's prog music only.

And Melinda will grow up to be ruler of the universe.

The end.

Roadrunne wont have an effect. There are a couple of reasons why. First and foremost the band wouldn't allow it. Secondly, The creation of the album is done by the band, they book the studios and produce the records. Finally, I think they are well aware of Roadrunner's reputation which will further push them away from collaberating with them.

A reggae album, FTW. Mendez cracking out them wild basslines, Per on the organ/electric piano, and Mikael stoned out of his mind and singing about dreadlocked Rastas.

I would love to see Opeth do something with a full orchestra. That would rock so hard it would kill the dead...twice.

I'd love to see another concept album, and although some folks don't like the clean production on Ghost Reveries, I love it and hope the next album sounds as good.

nahhhh I dont reckon, no orchestras please

Well adding an orchestra does not means Opeth has to turn into Rhapsody or Therion :). Im sure that there can be a way it can complement their music and maintain the sound of the band.

I myself wouldn't mind an album of songs that sound like the acoustic sections of Morningrise, but I don't really want them to rehash their old sound over and over.

I just want to hear them keep experimenting...even though I don't like Ghost Reveries all that much.

I see

Sold out Stadium tours all over the world.

Akerfeldt becomes the new Messiah stealing all magazine covers from Bono, Jaggers and Britney Spears combined.

10 minutes songs become the new hip rock song format thanx to Opeth

Opeth on heavy rotation on MTV 24/7

An Airbus with Opeth logo on it.

Opeth is the first band to hit the 100 million downloads on Itunes.

Opeth launch the new fashion : Hellhammer, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Venom t Shirts

Metallica, Iron Maiden and Ozzy beg Opeth to open for them on their sold out tour, Akerfledt denies request and get Camel, Morbid Angel and Whitesnake to open for them.

Gibson and Fender go bankrupt, it is all about PRS now in the guitar world.

Martin Lopez comes back to the fold : the band goes on 15 minutes Jazz Rock improv live

Green Day vocalist kills himself and realizes the hard truth on his suicide note : my band sucks, goodbye to all

Pink Floyd agrees to reunite only if the show is played on the Dark Side of The Moon : Opeth and Pink Floyd are the first performers on the moon using Virgin Space Airlines

The New Brintey Spears album contains growls

The word Punk is removed from dictionnaries all over the world

Akerfeldt becomes a God in Asia and his name means fertility over there.
All asian women want Akerfledt offspring.

Thanks to Opeth, Sweden becomes the most popular conutry on Earth, the Internet has now 5 billion pages in Sweden against two in English

^ sounds like a bright future...

especially the Lopez part...

but in reality I think they will eventually put additional instrumentation into the music,,, whether sparse strings, flute, looping and all types of weird tricks, more and more and more keyoards...this doesnt mean it will be overindulgent... just progressively more layered and deep...

its really the path of any growing musician...Mr. Mike seems to be like one of those people...its hard to stick to 2 guitar/bass format and just riff away once you become really really really good...

I see

Sold out Stadium tours all over the world.

Akerfeldt becomes the new Messiah stealing all magazine covers from Bono, Jaggers and Britney Spears combined.

10 minutes songs become the new hip rock song format thanx to Opeth

Opeth on heavy rotation on MTV 24/7

An Airbus with Opeth logo on it.

Opeth is the first band to hit the 100 million downloads on Itunes.

Opeth launch the new fashion : Hellhammer, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Venom t Shirts
Funny thing is, if Opeth actually got that popular, they could make 10 consecutive albums better than Still Life and all their current fans would still desert them as sellouts.