How Long Do You Think Opeth Will Be?

Did you agree or disagree with me there, Moonlapse?

Because, I have no idea what you meant!

Neither, really. Everyone just seems to think that we are ragging on Deliverance simply because we don't like it. I keep finding the need to clarify that Opeth have standardised their music on Deliverance, whether people like it or not. I mean the 'like' has nothing to do with it - if Opeth keep going in the direction of Deliverance, we WILL see their music stagnate quickly.

That's why I'm hoping the next album will be the big turnaround to a new style and better things (and no, I don't mean going back to the Orchid days).

Well, I agree with you. Thus you'd agree with me. Thus there should be no debate between the both of us because you have a big penis and I have a big penis, too. In fact, our penises are so amazingly big that only Martin Lopez from the band Opeth could possibly compete if he added his stick-length to his dick-length. In short, only our opinions are valid unlikes west german ones.

I think Opeth will make another Deliverance, BWP album.

They should try focus on the old albums...The old sound. Yes, Orchid.

They better not make another BWP or Deliverance sounding album...of course Damnation is out of the question (they're tackling black metal). I'd say the best sound for their next album would be along the lines of Orchid, but with a much more chilling, evil sound. It needs to be COLD, damnit, COLD!

*shivers*

Once again you guys have to be reminded that Opeth will not go back to the Orchid and Morningrise sound in any way. The next album will not be like any of their current ones, please undertand that! If you want to hear the old stuff, throw the damn cd you have into your cd tray. :Smug:

deliverance said:
^yeeeaaaaah, i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you. grreeeeat.
heh! the boss from office space. i love it, D1.

yeeeeeaaahh, im gonna need you to go ahead and come in on saturday. yeeeahhh.

*dorian is NEVER on-topic*

^ fuck no they wont.

there seems to be alot of deliverance and damnation-bashing here. i wish folks would go back and read some interviews with mike that were published prior to their release. i think mike would be somewhat qualified to say where they were and are going with the band.
opeth.com provides no indication as to whether their future is bleak. on the contrary, they seem quite positive.
the band just added a new member. also, keep in mind, that opeth are really mike and peter. the martins, as good as they are, are hired guns. they were not a part of the first three albums. consequently, who gives a crap whether they go or stay (aside from personal taste)? opeth, as an extension of mike and peter, will go on as long as they want.
they seem to be doing well financially and could probably publish their own records and act as their own label if they felt like it. if they decided they wanted to play pop music and just work at guitar stores, i wouldnt be surprised if they did just that.
there seems to be very very little commercial motivation for opeth. according to the media, they live in apartments and dont seem to even drive cars. what im getting at, is i dont think they are going to sell out or standardize (as moonlapse likes to say) their style. there simply isnt any indication of such a movement. one album that *appears* to be "standardized" (deliverance) isnt enough to justify that as a consistent direction. as far as we know, with the evidence at hand, deliverance and damnation were just another experiment in creativity. if mike says different, then so be it.

all this talk about the upcoming album is really getting me anxious. hmm it won't be done for a while though..of course, i'd rather him take his time, but..the wait is rough, when you're anticipating haha.

but something will be different cause there will be a keyboard and maybe a new member so I think we should already know that something will be different and I'm wondering if they'll put that keyboard on the heaviers songs.

I think the next album will the turning point in their career.
So, when i'll hear it , i'll start to think of their future and if i'ld like them to continue or not.

D1, hilarious quotation man, i love it.....

Exil on the Fall: q'est ce "restait" et "chacun"? Ma francais est...uhhh....rusty.

Moonlapse said:
The reason 'Deliverance' was used is because it isn't a stepping stone towards a higher plateu, rather a stripping of the finer points of their music and projection of the style with which they have been pidgeonholed. Normally when a band makes a move like this, it doesn't bode well for their future. Of course you have to cut slack to the fact that they had some very intense recording conditions.

So this is why alot of the fans are really holding their breath for the next album, as it will undoubtably be the defining moment for Opeth's future. Whether they will go the Deliverance route and thrive off the labels they're given as a band and work off those to create formulaic music (in their own convoluted way), or whether they will keep going the distance and working with new things, aspiring to cover yet another area of music.

So it's not so much whether one likes or dislikes Deliverance, it's more about what its existence means to the future of the band.

I don't think we're disagreeing with each other as much as we are looking at this from a different perspective...

If any band was to make an album exactly like their previous works, I would imagine that would not be productive so I do agree with you there.

However, obviously Opeth made it quite clear (just by us listening to their albums) that each one does not sound like the next. Therefore, the worry of whether or not the next album will sound like Deliverance and it being their downfall if it does should not even exist in the first place. I don't understand the negativity is what I am trying to say.

I've listened very closely to every album and I do hear this repetition that takes place in some parts of Deliverance, however I do not think this stands in the way/interferes with that album being a part of their natural progression in their music simply because (in my opinion) overall it's an excellent album.

So with that, I stand by my original statement... In my opinion, Opeth have improved (in certain ways) from one album to the next.

I'd cry if either Martin left.

Lopez is a pretty good drummer after all.. Mendez isn't exactly bad, either.

Really guys, do you actualy think that Opeth will deliver (no pun intended) a bad album to us?
The next album will be the heaviest and most epic of them all. :worship: