Do you think you would have gotten into Opeth if...

the answer is yes. The only reason I wanted to get Opeth CDs is because I loved the acoustic parts so much and I didnt like the death metal parts until after a little while. When I heard they were making an all mellow CD back in April or May or whenever they announced it, i was so excited, and still am.

I got into Opeth after hearing "Silhouette", but I don't know if they would have released that song or at least that kind of song without their metal styles.

Static said:
They had always made mellow music like Damnation!?

A purely hypothetical question, but an interesting one to ask nonetheless.

Over the past couple of days this album has grown on me so much, it's absolutely gorgeous...Opeth has always had a thing to it I've loved, and I thought that taking away the brutality of it might kill its 'pull'. However Damnation has hit me totally off guard...its so beautiful, sad and melodic...I think its gonna from now on be one of the most play albums I own for the rest of my music listening career. The other Opeth albums are all great, but Damnation, out of all of them, feels like a real 'keeper'. Theres also alot of argument about the fact its more 'proggy rock/acoustic' than 'prog'. I expected a bit more prog, however this album is so beautiful I no longer care about that. How can you not like an album thats this emotional and lush??

Totally satisfied with this, few complaints. I think that I like this better than any of my other albums already, I wonder how long that will last.

Sorry Maudlin of the Well, Opeth is back to being my favourite band. I've sorta missed having them in the number one spot...:saint:

I wouldn't have gotten in to it, because Opeth wouldn't be categorised in the metal section. It doesn't happen a lot that I skip on that section, unless I'm looking for stuff of e.g. the doors etc..

If I knew how it would be like, I would have bought it for sure! I'm just very glad Opeth made the album so I could find it! Damnation is majestic!

I'm pretty sure I would have, because I eased into Opeth through their mello stuff. The first album I got was 'Blackwater Park' and it was a gamble, because I hadn't heard them yet and hadn't heard much about them, I just kind of got it, so I had no idea what I was in for, and you must understand that I was making a transition from Korn...anyway, the first song I enjoyed was Harvest. Then The Drapery Falls, since it started out all mello, but I didn't have too much of a problem when that song get pretty heavy.

No..I wouldn't have gotten into Opeth if all of thier songs were mellow..I like Opeth's contrast between heavy and mellow..It's the contrast that intrigues me about Opeth...I'm into extreme metal anyway, and I like Mike's death vox.. -l-

Damnation is officially my favorite Opeth album now. It's touched me in a way no other album has. I've listening to it at least three times a day, for about 2 weeks, and it's only growing on me even more. This is far and away my favorite Opeth album.

About getting into the band if they had always been this mellow: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would have. But I'm thankful it didn't happen that way, cause Opeth is the band that got me into metal. I became a fan the second 'Dirge for November' was over. That was a first for me, becoming completely fanatical over an artist that fast, and I love the heavy part of the song. So if they had made strictly mellow music, I would've gotten into them just as easily, but I probably wouldn't have discovered the wonderful world of metal.

it is easy to hide behind the harsh sounds of metal, all the heavy riffs and shitlodes of distortion. eg Pantera(yes there a thrash metal but u get me drift). play a song softly quietly and the full colour of the music will show. this is what makes Opeth the great band they are. You could play their music on acoustics and it will still capture you , drag u in. they have great musical talent and i believe that this is what draws us to them . There are many metal bands out there but few will ever reach the level of Opeth. The mix of heavy interwoven with light makes the music. so yes i would still have deen drawn to their music, for it is the music that draws not the distortion of the guitar.