If Opeth are destined to become a mainstream band

People seem to forget that the mainstream itself changes. Everyone bitched when Korn "went mainstream" when in all reality the mainstream "went Korn". Same thing is happening now, the mainstream (and I mean the mainstream of heavy music, not THE MAINSTREAM of music, which has always consistantly sucked) is latching onto this new "generic metalcore band" sound...hard music, shitty breakdowns, horribly sung melodic parts and most of it bitching about how hard life is or their girlfriend dumping them...in other words, the mainstream is going emo.

Now you look at Opeth, heavy music, no breakdowns (because they're not so predictable to need to use them to change things up), very well sung melodic parts and very well written lyrics...it's no wonder some of these kids who were into the generic crap metalcore stuff heard Opeth and suddenly thought "My god, what the hell am I doing with my life"...at which point they threw down their eyeliner, combed the hair back into a proper place and threw all their Atreyu CDs in the oven.

So now Opeth is getting more publicity, selling more records and making more money...any of you who don't think they deserve it should have your testicles (or vagina for those of you of that persuasion) used as a speed bag.

And as for the musical direction of Opeth, I personally thinking Still Life was their best album, so as long as they stick with the light/shadow soft/heavy style on EVERY album from here on out, I'm happy.

SOAD...haha

I was at work the other day and I was outside sweeping leaves, so I had my headphones on and I was listening to Opeth :headbang: and some guy asked me what I was listening to so I told him. not only did he try to give me his phone number...as if that wasn't annoying enough, he started going on about how I should listen to SOAD :erk:

what is wrong with people these days

Mainstream = platinum sales in the U.S.A

1,000,000 copies sold.

Opeth will never be mainstream. They might scratch at it and get a Gold Album someday. But I highly highly doubt them ever selling a million albums.

and as another guy said, the mainstream (whatever's trendy) usually shifts to accomodate whatever new thing the CEO's want people to like. (metalcore currently)

I think this thread is really fucking stupid. I can't say I agree with anything the threadstarter said, in fact I find it all to be laughable.

Also, I don't think Opeth will ever go mainstream and I don't think mainstream will ever go Opeth. But if I had to pick one, I would say mainstream would go Opeth because I don't think Opeth will ever change their sound just to sell more records. But we can't ignore that .00001% chance that they might. I don't think anyone saw it coming for Metallica in the early 80's, not even the band themselves :tickled:

Cutter said:
Name one Mainstream band that has 'cookie monstor' vocals?
Dood. Most of those metal core bands on SOTU tour have (badly) growled vocals mixed with melodic singing laong with third rate thrash riffs straight out of the tab book of Slayer, ATG, and Carcass. God Forbid, Arch Enemy, Shadows Fall all have badly growled vocals (not gutteral vocals) and are HUUGE here in the USA because of thier MELODIC sound, sometimes mixed with a hardcore asthetic.
Those bands are on Ozzfest, SOTU, Warped tour, Hellfest tour ect. Ok?
Badly growled vocals with screamed/melodic singing does not within it self define "extreme metal" or "death metal".
Yeh, those bands are mainstream for bands singed to major indie labels (Shadows Fall as I don't think much of them are biggest selling band in Century Media history), but not top 40, then again with soundscan, you would be suprised on what is in the top 100 of the billboard charts or gets Headbangers ball airplay , or are on CMJ charts here in the USA. This melodic Gothenburgh Swedish "death" metal", hardcore, metal core sthuff is replacing nu metal as the "mainstream" trend in heavy music. I prefer the more progressive tech/brutal stuff, but ya know, that's just my taste.
What I mean by mainstream, isn't the rap/top 40 stuff, but mall core stuff that is mainstream for indie metal and may as well be signed to majors.
I think the pendulum has swung, and the more melodic hardcore/metal core, Gothenburgh bands are huuge now signifying a changing of the guard.
opeth may be progressive, but so was Pink Floyd before them, and Dark Side of the Moon was on the charts for over 15 (?) years.
While Opeth are not, as of yet, commercially accesible, they are FAAR more accesible within the melodic, clean vocal/acoustic interlude transition than say, Immolation. I love Immolation, btw.

deathbearer said:
Dood. Most of those metal core bands on SOTU tour have (badly) growled vocals mixed with melodic singing laong with third rate thrash riffs straight out of the tab book of Slayer, ATG, and Carcass. God Forbid, Arch Enemy, Shadows Fall all have badly growled vocals (not gutteral vocals) and are HUUGE here in the USA because of thier MELODIC sound, sometimes mixed with a hardcore asthetic.
Those bands are on Ozzfest, SOTU, Warped tour, Hellfest tour ect. Ok?
Badly growled vocals with screamed/melodic singing does not within it self define "extreme metal" or "death metal".
Yeh, those bands are mainstream for bands singed to major indie labels (Shadows Fall as I don't think much of them are biggest selling band in Century Media history), but not top 40, then again with soundscan, you would be suprised on what is in the top 100 of the billboard charts or gets Headbangers ball airplay , or are on CMJ charts here in the USA. This melodic Gothenburgh Swedish "death" metal", hardcore, metal core sthuff is replacing nu metal as the "mainstream" trend in heavy music. I prefer the more progressive tech/brutal stuff, but ya know, that's just my taste.
What I mean by mainstream, isn't the rap/top 40 stuff, but mall core stuff that is mainstream for indie metal and may as well be signed to majors.
I think the pendulum has swung, and the more melodic hardcore/metal core, Gothenburgh bands are huuge now signifying a changing of the guard.
opeth may be progressive, but so was Pink Floyd before them, and Dark Side of the Moon was on the charts for over 15 (?) years.
While Opeth are not, as of yet, commercially accesible, they are FAAR more accesible within the melodic, clean vocal/acoustic interlude transition than say, Immolation. I love Immolation, btw.

But you have to admit, the long, dense song structures would throw a lot of potential fans off. There's not only growling to consider. But Floyd was one of the pioneers to progressive in their time, so who knows?

mayhemchrist said:
People seem to forget that the mainstream itself changes. Everyone bitched when Korn "went mainstream" when in all reality the mainstream "went Korn". Same thing is happening now, the mainstream (and I mean the mainstream of heavy music, not THE MAINSTREAM of music, which has always consistantly sucked) is latching onto this new "generic metalcore band" sound...hard music, shitty breakdowns, horribly sung melodic parts and most of it bitching about how hard life is or their girlfriend dumping them...in other words, the mainstream is going emo.

Now you look at Opeth, heavy music, no breakdowns (because they're not so predictable to need to use them to change things up), very well sung melodic parts and very well written lyrics...it's no wonder some of these kids who were into the generic crap metalcore stuff heard Opeth and suddenly thought "My god, what the hell am I doing with my life"...at which point they threw down their eyeliner, combed the hair back into a proper place and threw all their Atreyu CDs in the oven.

So now Opeth is getting more publicity, selling more records and making more money...any of you who don't think they deserve it should have your testicles (or vagina for those of you of that persuasion) used as a speed bag.

And as for the musical direction of Opeth, I personally thinking Still Life was their best album, so as long as they stick with the light/shadow soft/heavy style on EVERY album from here on out, I'm happy.
I don't know what to say. All those metal core bands are just ripping off ATG, Carcass, and Slayer anyway. While I find most metal core borrowing heavily from melodic death, thrash ect, those bands worked very hard and the mainstream came to them when kids got sick of Korn and Limp Bizcut, lmao.
If Opeth progressed instead of regressed on thier sound or don't change thier sound to be that more accesible or to fit a trend, and after 15/20 years in the business became an influential cult act like Slayer, Cannible Corpse, then fine, hails to them. Cannible Corpse's ENTIRE catalog has gone platinum on thier own terms after over 15 years in existance. Of course Cannible are anything BUT mainstream.
I always felt that Opeth were NOT a reaction to mainstream heavy music trends nor trying to pander to it. If TGC is an example, Opeth may be changing thier sound for better or for worse, and who knows if that makes them mainstream or more accesible. Just becuase Opeth are not an emo/hardcore/metalcore band does NOt make them INaccesible. I alwsays felt that Opeth were more accesible for a death metal band. A good gateway to extreme metal ect.
NIN were on the charts in then 90's and still are.
A song like Harverst, lol, could easily be on an AAA (adult alblum alternative) station, who knows.

If Opeth were to go mainstream they would release really gay promo pics of themselves all in black, with power arm bands, sitting or standing against a wall or a misc. grass field....

i don't think opeth are gonna turn mainstream .. but i can see why Mikael may want to get more mainstream.. so there is a greater chance of being heard by people and a bigger chance of people appreciating his art etc.. I'm sure he wants to get the stuff he's put loads of effort into to as many people as possible. It's doubtless they'll become more popular though.

But if by become mainstream you mean that they'll start making their songs shorter and more radio friendly etc.. i doubt they'll do anything drastically different.. they may write a couple more ballads etc.. but they won't just out of the blue do a pop-rock album will they.. lol