Opeth says Mike is leader?/Deliverence

Black Rain

Aug 1, 2004
New york
On the damnation DVD, I think martin mendez says that mike is the leader of the band. I don't like how they think that, Opeth is a band not mike akerfeldt. Mike is excellent but what about everything else? Don't really get why mike gets all the praise.

Why does everyone think deliverence is the worst album? I Think Martin Lopez does the best drumming on this album than any other one and the structures are much more clean. On Orchid/Morningrise/and MAYH The structure is like a musical Maze, constant changes and hard to remember what comes next although the're good cds.

Mike writes all the songs and he's one of the only two members left from Orchid. I don't think what Martin said is wrong.

If someone is a leader of a band, that doesn't mean he/she is the whole band. Almost every band has some kind of a leader, I don't understand why that should bother anyone. And as dew pointed out, Mikael has composed and written the lyrics to all their songs, plus is the singer/lead guitarist... I think that it's quite natural that he is the captain of the Opeth-ship.

Midwinter_melancholY said:
The term 'leader' is a very false term when applied to a band. I don't think there's a 'leader' in Opeth, rather a 'main composer', the one that feeds the band the most with his inspiration.

Usually, a bandleader also has the final word on important decisions concerning the band, gives most of the interviews and is mostly responsible of the band's "personality" or something...

I also heard that Mike writes most of the bass and drum parts too... I don't know how truthful this is.

"I also heard that Mike writes most of the bass and drum parts too... I don't know how truthful this is."

Naa, not very true these days. He makes basic demos at home with a drum-machine, but Lopez arrange most beats over again, into "lopez"beats and Mendez writes all the "unique" basslines, where the bass doesnt follow, for example, a guitar-fill (in this case it will be like on the D&D documentary where i shows mendez the fill in deliverence)

And on GR Mendez/Lopez deffinately had time to write their own stuff, thanks to rehearsals.

Back in the day Mike wrote some stuff for defarfalla though.

And I think Mendez was right saying mike is the "Main guy", he makes most of the music and even arrangements, he writes the lyrics, sings and plays most of the acoustic / leadguitars and also a lot of rhythm guitars on top of that.

I do think Mike is the leader of Opeth. He writes the main song ideas obviously, I don't see why you guys think he isn't the leader...

seems like mike is def. the leader, but that doesn't mean there's no other input or collaboration...
and yeah, for some reason it's "cool" around here to bash the D&D albums, but i love deliverance as an album.

to argue that Mike is NOT the leader of the band is to be the equivalent of an all encompassing moron who's ignorance to reality astounds even the KKK.

Opeth wouldn't be Opeth without Mike. Actually, they would be shit. Peter can't write songs lol.
However, they would still be awesome Opeth with anyone on bass, drums or even the other guitar.

Lets face it Peter has the best job in the world. He's pretty much like Samoth was for Emperor (although I do know Samoth wrote a few songs on his own). Just sit back play what your told and get to be in an awesome band cheers to Peter. I have the same role in my band and it's great.

Yeah, being a tag-along member can be quite cool in bands, if the main songwriter is strong enough to keep things going by him/herself. Getting back on track though... Mendez has been with the band since Still Life. If he says Mike is the leader of the band, then Mike is the leader of the band. I mean quite evidently he's their PR guy. He's the one that justifies their signing decisions, does the major interviews, totally overturns the writing direction, writes the on-going biography on the official site etc.

Mike's the front man. Though he's the main writer it does not mean the others are less important.

Remove Lopez's drums from the albums, opeths not listenable, remove Mike, opeth's not listenable. Martin's bass playing is incredible,very audible. Each member's sound is equal regardless if Mike writes all the music.

You need drums,bass,guitar,etc... together to have a band,play live,etc...

Everyone needs to play a song together for it to be complete. It does not matter who writes what parts.

Black Rain said:
On the damnation DVD, I think martin mendez says that mike is the leader of the band. I don't like how they think that, Opeth is a band not mike akerfeldt. Mike is excellent but what about everything else? Don't really get why mike gets all the praise.

Why does everyone think deliverence is the worst album? I Think Martin Lopez does the best drumming on this album than any other one and the structures are much more clean. On Orchid/Morningrise/and MAYH The structure is like a musical Maze, constant changes and hard to remember what comes next although the're good cds.

1. Mike co - started the band.
2. Mike is the only original member left. Peter joined later.
3. Mike writes most if not all the music on all the albums.
4. Mike is not the band, which is why the band is called Opeth and not Mikey A and the 'Peths.
5. Deliverance seemed kinda empty to me and in my view is the most un Opethish album.
6. Anders Nordin did the drums on Orchid and Morningrise. My Arms Your Hearse forwards is all Lopez.
7. The constant changes is exactly what Mike likes to do. He's said it himself endlessly that he hates predictable music, hence the changes.

Mike's the front man. Though he's the main writer it does not mean the others are less important.

Remove Lopez's drums from the albums, opeths not listenable, remove Mike, opeth's not listenable. Martin's bass playing is incredible,very audible. Each member's sound is equal regardless if Mike writes all the music.

You need drums,bass,guitar,etc... together. Them being seperate is lacking maybe pointless for some.

Everyone needs to play a song together for it to be complete. It does not matter who writes what parts.

I don't understand that logic at all. So, even though Mike does a substantial amount more work in regards to the band than the others, he's not more important?

If you remove Lopez' drums, then the albums will simply lack that latino groove element. If they were to replace him with a stock standard metal drummer, it wouldn't make the music unlistenable, albeit simply more mundane and monotonous.

Obviously, everyone adds their own influence with their playing style, and perhaps Lopez the most, being the one that writes most of his drum parts, but it still doesn't overshadow the fact that Mike.writes.the.core.music. Mike's riffs and ideas are what Lopez' drum parts are based around. Mike is orchestrating everything. I don't think the band have any problems with that, so I don't understand why the fans would. That's just how bands work.

George said:
Lets face it Peter has the best job in the world. He's pretty much like Samoth was for Emperor (although I do know Samoth wrote a few songs on his own). Just sit back play what your told and get to be in an awesome band cheers to Peter. I have the same role in my band and it's great.
o_O I wouldn't like that job very much. I don't understand how players can be happy just playing what someone else wrote. I think writing music is half the fun, performing is the other half.

As a musician I have mixed views on creating music. Sometimes it's fun,sometimes it's dreadful. Sometimes just wish there was already songs written.

If I had a band with another guitarist that wrote more,faster, better i'd rather just play that material.

I'd love playing Opeth songs every night even if I did not write any of it.

why do people bash on deliverance? its one of my favourites of theres. my 1st opeth album and i love everysong on it except By the pain i see in others

i love threads where a retarded kid asks something really retorical and obvious, but fails to even return to view the answer after 40 people feel the need to answer the same question in the exact same way...

FRUGiHOYi said:
o_O I wouldn't like that job very much. I don't understand how players can be happy just playing what someone else wrote. I think writing music is half the fun, performing is the other half.

My thoughts exactly. I would MUCH rather play my own songs.

NineFeetUnderground, haha, that's so true!

Damn them for taking away the "now playing" slot.
np. Opeth - In Mist She Was Standing