Opeth splitting up?

Oh yes, Opeth are splitting up, not after the tour, but before the tour! Mike says in an interview with Greatmetalzine:
"Me and Martin (Lopez) just can't get along, so I have decided to leave the band and recreate "Steel" with Dan Swanö instead. The US Tour will take place, but with Jon Schaffer on vocals instead. I am sorry to bail on so many fans, but Martin is really hurting me".

So there you go, No more Opeth. :p

It seems that music runs in Mike's blood. If they broke up, I think we could look forward to maybe a steady band with Mike and Steven Wilson (yet another side project, but the man's unstoppable). To me, that might even be better than Opeth. It could have the genius songwriting of both of them with the metal influences from Mike and more of the softer and more ambient stuff from Steven (not that Mike doesn't have plenty to offer as far as mellow or that Steven doesn't have heavy).

Yes definately. Ian said what I was thinking about it.

If Opeth split...Mike will move onto something else...zing bang boom...something new and interesting to listen to.

Opeth will be missed but hey...we'll have something else and whatever that may be...I'm sure it will be gold.

Logic does not dictate what you described.
I'm going here on the argument that Opeth's music (and other bands of course) does not change but simply becomes popular. There's no rule saying the radio can't play certain lengths of songs. Either way, given what you said, you're still not one of the people I was directing my comments at.