Opeth Cd's

Opeth\m/\m/

Apr 4, 2004
Everyones always talking about Deliverance and Damnation, but no one ever talks about the older ones like MAYH or Orchid Or even Mornignrise. which are all great albums. This thread is to talk about and try and bring back some of the older stuff, rather than posting on the same old "Damnation, Deliverance review threads". My favorite album of them all would have to be My arms your hearse probobly followed by the "Still Life" album. If you like Opeth and wanna talk about the older stuff, post here.
\/

I dunno if this is necessarily true, because people seem to praise the old albums a lot while putting down the newer ones a bit. Last night at work (I work night crew at a grocery store, I get to play music over the PA system) I listened to Orchid and then BWP, and they were both very impressive. The bad part was that the way the sound is set up only allows us to hear one channel (Left or Right) of the sound, so that kinda sucked (esp. for Orchid with all the dual lead harmonies).. I think I enjoyed Orchid a bit more, but both were pretty great.

I like all the albums cause even with Orchid they possessed their true sound. Though I suppose Morningrise is my favourite. But I just have a few very fav songs fro each album... Forest of October, Requim, Black rose Immortal, Advent, etc etc.. I lie even thier new stuff. I bet this new one thats supposed to be influenced by black-metal is going to kick major ass. Good luck Mike with writing!

Im not saying the new Albums are bad some of my favorite songs are on Deliverance(For absent friends, Deliverance, A fair judgement, Wreath) And I love Windowpayne and others form Damnation But I prefer the older stuff better because thats when Opeth was going wherever they wanted with the songs and wernt influenced by Steve wilson or KOCH records at all.

Yeah well someone said Opeth where bashed for what they had been doing lately, but why is this so hard to understand? I mean Both D1 and D2 was done in a bit of a hurry and many (including me) feels as if the cd´s where rushed too much and that affects the quality. Anyway what is there to say about the old albums except they rock.

To the thread creator: what the hell are you talking about? Isnt it obvious that quite a few members of this board much prefer the early albums more than the later releases? The attacks on Steven Wilson, production timetables and musical depth, I thought that would have made it obvious that D1+D2 are not considered anywhere nearly as highly as the first 3-4 albums.

Of course, this is my opinion... I'm not speaking for everyone on this board, just making an observation.

Actually shroud it isnt so obvious cause you have all these n00bs coming in and talking about D1 and D2 over and over again and having no input on the older side Of opeth. I was just trying to get a conversation going about Opeth with some people who have been following them for a while and know a good bit about them (like myself). Rather than talking about D1 and D2 over and over again, carry on lads.

Agreed about the 'newbies'. There seems to have been an influx over the past few days. Where are the trolls when you need them? Hah.

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
(...)But I prefer the older stuff better because thats when Opeth was going wherever they wanted with the songs and wernt influenced by Steve wilson or KOCH records at all.
Please tell me how Opeth as been influenced my KOCH.

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
Actually shroud it isnt so obvious cause you have all these n00bs coming in and talking about D1 and D2 over and over again and having no input on the older side Of opeth. I was just trying to get a conversation going about Opeth with some people who have been following them for a while and know a good bit about them (like myself). Rather than talking about D1 and D2 over and over again, carry on lads.

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I've been listening to Opeth for a very long time, but I like Deliverance alot anyway. Damnation is also ok, but seriously, we don't talk more about D1 og D2 than we do with Blackwater Park, Morningrise and Still Life.

hehe at first i loved the album more the newer it was........
Now my fav is orchid.......followed by morningrise.......rising up ;P
Its amazing ......sure the production is poor, but the music is almost like classical compositions. Just try to concentrate only on the music while listening the whole orchid. U will truly be stunned......

Lord_AgathoN said:
sure the production is poor...
I disagree. The production is clear. It's not muddy, its not buzzed, every element is perfectly audible. It may not be 'polished' like Blackwater Park, but it's all it needs to get the message across.

"To the thread creator: what the hell are you talking about? Isnt it obvious that quite a few members of this board much prefer the early albums more than the later releases? The attacks on Steven Wilson, production timetables and musical depth, I thought that would have made it obvious that D1+D2 are not considered anywhere nearly as highly as the first 3-4 albums.

Of course, this is my opinion... I'm not speaking for everyone on this board, just making an observation."

im with you, opeth have a fucking legacy b4 D1 and D2 and i think the fact that SW was their producer and recording time added to D1 as i see the ideas could have become more interesting then they are.

Whats with all these people and saying orchid is shit production. everyhting on that album is heard clearly and of course it isnt polished its raw thats one aspect orchid is known for