opeth? breaking up?... no way

A Gathering In Black

Death Swept Tears
Sep 10, 2002
south jersey
Swedish prog-metallers Opeth announced yesterday in an exclusive interview with Shrieking.net that they plan to split up after their next tour. "We only really decided today that we would definately split. We're going to do the tour for Damnation, then maybe do a few more gigs playing older songs, and then go our separate ways" explained vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt. He went on to say that he felt it was pointless to carry on under the name Opeth and that the band were beginning to differ in their musical directions. "It's always good to have a diverse range of influences in a band, but I think really we're wanting to do different things. I know Martin [Lopez, drummer] wants to do some electronic kind of stuff for example." Mikael seemed to express disappointment at the reception to their latest album Damnation, a radical departure from their usual death-metal style, and indicated that he wanted to continue in such a direction. "I know I said that we didn't care whether people loved it or hated it, but already most of our fans have got hold of leaked copies and I know the general opinion is that it is not popular. I get fans coming up to me after every show telling me they were really disappointed with it. I think it would be best to continue with this kind of stuff under a different name, a different band even." I asked if any collaboration with Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree was on the cards, Mikael seemed keen on the idea. "That is definately something I would be interested in, it's been great working with him on the last two albums and he's a great guy, but I don't know whether it'll happen because he's so busy these days. I can't say I know what is going to be next after Opeth." Damnation is released on April 22nd article: Jools Carving "

you think its true........ or you think it might be a april fools joke.....
www.shrieking.net/news/opeth_010403.htm

Shadowthrone said:
Sounds like a big april fools joke to me. That statement about everyone hating Damnation is quite false. I haven't really found anyone that does hate it, and doesn't hate the rest of Opeth. This is just a little trick.:)

Oh and I just realized that there will be a few people here that will say they do it hate it, but even then it is nothing like the majority.

Shadowthrone said:
Sounds like a big april fools joke to me. That statement about everyone hating Damnation is quite false. I haven't really found anyone that does hate it, and doesn't hate the rest of Opeth. This is just a little trick.:)
Oh and I just realized that there will be a few people here that will probably say they do it hate it, but even then it is nothing like the majority.

Edit: Damn, now I know how other people do multiple posts accidently....oops.