What would be a good Opeth album to get after listening to The Human Equation?

Kronikle66

Everybody dies alone
Oct 10, 2003
Tallahassee, Florida
Visit site
Prior to having obtained The Human Equation, I thought of Opeth's Damnation as nothing very magical. What got me the most was the singer, Mikael Akerfeldt. He just seemed so dreary and lacking emotion. However, almost half a year later now after having listened to The Human Equation a good 60+ times, I renounce my previous statement and would like to replace it with "Mikael Akerfeldt has the most badass vocals ever!"

I don't know if it was just his freaking kickass character with the dark and evil voice that just blended so perfectly or what. I mean, you hear about 3 different singers talking about hope and how "me" must make it out alive... then Akerfeldt comes in and MAN!

Ahem... I'm getting off subject. Anyway, I revisited Damnation and I've found that I'm liking it more and more. Thing is, I asked a year ago for a good album by Opeth with no growls. This was the one suggested. But after listening to his monstrous growls on Day 12: Trauma, they nearly put me to tears at how sick they are!

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get at, is that I'd like to know of an Opeth album that takes Damnation a step up in intensity. I want to experience more of Akerfeldt's amazing growls, BUT I don't want the growls to be most of the cd. Not quite ready for that. Any albums where he'll frequently sing normal and switch to growling? What would you recommend I pick up?

-Kronikle

theyre all great for dynamics accept maybe orchid, it doesnt have as much melodic singing but it still has some wicked/bad ass shit in it. i'd recommend my arms, your herse, still life, blackwater park, or deliverance. maybe morningrise but you should get that later on once you've gotten used to everything, although it currently my favourite album, it just took me a while to get into it.

Absolutely Still Life - Seems to be exactly what you looking for, and it's probably their most proggy metal realease.

If not that one, go with Blackwater Park

However Morningrise has one of the best mellow songs Opeth ever made.

And what's wrong with deliverance I think it's absolutely great :worship:

None of their albums have more singing than growling, except for Damnation, which has no growling. I think Blackwater Park is what you're looking for, though.

FRUGiHOYi said:
None of their albums have more singing than growling, except for Damnation, which has no growling. I think Blackwater Park is what you're looking for, though.

i think still life would be best :) the more quiet parts are so well integrated with the rougher parts!

anyway, i think akerfeldts vocals on the ayreon release are better than anything hes done with opeth. but one of the main reasons you seem to like the vocals so much on the human equation is because of their meaning in the song as well. so get still life, it has one of the best lyrics ive ever seen :)

[off-topic] i really like the part of "reason" , especially on day 2 (mikael's part there is great too, and dont forget the "love part", man what a typecast, she sounds so sweet ;) ).

anyway, he seems to sing in a band called saviour machine, do you know any of their work i hsould listen to?

off topic, but pertaining to The Human Equation:

i was in this really cool cd/record store and i was browsing all the used cds, and came across The human equation for just 8 bucks, used, but in mint condition haha, also porcupine tree's "lightbulb sun" for 7 bucks. i have both on my computer, so i didn't bother, but i was surprised at the cheap price of ayreon and the fact that i found the PT cd at all.
i ended up purchasing the judas priest live in london double cd, for 10 bucks and this buckethead cd for 3 bucks haha.