Is the reason you like Opeth Mikael's growls and not his clean vocals?

makethestringscry said:
I was never much of a fan of growling until Opeth, not saying im a huge fan now, but I love his clean vocals and the growls help the dynamics of the music. And to me, Opeth are the masters of dynamics.

Nor hear, I used to laugh my ass off at bands like Morbid Angel - just bcuz of the growls:heh: . Behemoth was fuking hilarious too:lol: "SLAVESHALLSERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" XD

I only liked the Metalica - Pantera - Slayer - Sepultura thing

but opeth, oh mighty opeth changed my thinking real fast, it's got alot to do with Mikeal's singing voice too. Top notch :headbang: Damnations got some killer vocals. It's really the combo of both. ^dynamics man dynamics

Angela Gossow sounds like she is getting raped in the ass when she "growls". I don't understand how anyone could put her with Mike in the same category.

I love them both equally. One of the reasons I was drawn to the band in the first place. Damnation is my favorite album :) FTR

angelofdeath9308 said:
The reason I like Opeth is because... (good essay question)

I like both growling vocals and clean vocals, that's one of the things that attracted me to the band.

Same here. But everything is great, so it worked out well for me.

I got into Opeth through the Doom/Gothic Metal scene, which was never that good. So it was kind like being able to truly see for the first time. By then I was already into the screaming vocals, but the clean singing is amazing by any standard.

when i started listening to opeth, i hadn't listened to any music with growls before, but it didn't seem particularly odd to me

When I first heard Opeth in 1993 I was already into Edge of Sanity that also uses a combination of clear and growling vocals, so it was the combination of both that got me interested. That together with the music that was so different from anything else that I'd heard at the time. I still feel it's the combination of all those things that makes Opeth interesting.

@ original post: something's wrong with you if you can't appreciate any clean vocals. it's not like we're all cookie monsters you know

^lol, no, nothings wrong with him, he enjoys what he enjoys.

and what drew me to Opeth was the dynamics. I'd never heard any band combine melodic/brutal music the way the do (still haven't either)

IamReptar said:
Angela Gossow sounds like she is getting raped in the ass when she "growls". I don't understand how anyone could put her with Mike in the same category.

I'd agree but watch her interview in Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. There's a clip from one of her gigs there here vocals are astounding, blood curdling infact.

bluewizard said:
Is the reason you like Opeth Mikael's growls and not his clean vocals? I like Mikael's growls in Opeth and the progressive music behind but not the acoustic interludes or the clean vocals but that's probably because I'm more a fan of black and death metal and not power metal and other metal genres with clean vocals. i bought The Ghost Reveries and like the growls but it's not that I can't stand Mikael's clean vocals, it's just that I don't care for them and wish he'd growl all the time. So I'm most likely never going to buy the Damnation album but i still like Opeth and Mikael's growls.

I like his ass.:oops:

it's only a matter of time before Opeth stops using death metal vocals, unless they break up in the near future.

Vegetaman said:
Why do you say this? I can't imagine Opeth getting rid of the harsh vocals completely.

Really...they're barely metal as it is...then someone will have to come up with another idiotic genre just for them, but they'll be the best at it!:lol: