Mikael's growling on diffrent albums.

The Shape

Apr 2, 2003
Monterey Bay, CA
Visit site
I don't know about the rest of you, but in my opinion, Mikael's best growling can be heard on Still Life and Blackwater Park.

On Deliverance, his growls were still the same, but diffrent. For instance, on longer growls his voice seemed to lack power almost, seem crackally or weak, kinda like he had abunch of flem in his throte or something.

Judgeing from the bootlegs I've heard of thier gigs since Deliverance has been released, it seems as though Mikael's growl is as strong as ever.

So my question to you is: Do you think his growls sounding a bit diffrent on Deliverance was a conceous effort on his part to give another aspect to the album, as far as making it its own entity just as the other Opeth albums have been?

Because from what I've noticed, each Opeth album has been given its own uniquness. The sound production of the instruments is clearly diffrent on every album(execpt not so much so on Orchid and Morningrise), and the growls have been diffrent. You could play 2 seconds of any track off any of thier albums and name the album simply based on the "sound" of it. I beleive that up untill Blackwater Park, his growls were diffrent on the albums because he was developing his growling voice, and has now perfected it, which is why I wonder if the growling was modified slightly on Deliverace, so that it would again have a diffrent feel and thus adding to the album standing off as a bit more unique.

I think the growls on Deliverance sound different because Mikael's growl is weaker then it once was, also his clean vocals are weaker then they were.

I'm not complaining about it though...everyones growl gets weaker with time, just look at Ander's Friden. I'm still surprised that Mikael's voice is still so great...it really has kept so well. Just imagine how much growling he's done over his career, and look at the power his voice still holds...amazing I tells ya! :)

I think that the growling on Deliverance isn't *obviously* weak or anything...I'm just saying that if you listen hard to it his growl is *slightly* weaker, less powerful and drawn out. Its still great, but no ones voice can stay perfect with that kind of strain, even Mikaels. Wonder if his throat ever hurts from all that growling, mine does when I do it.

I've not really noticed myself, but if the death grunts :yuk: sound weak on Deliverance I'd say it's down to the production - with all the effects and stuff they've got in studios they could make Britney Spears growl like Chuck Schuldiner if they really wanted! (Not that I'm suggesting Mikael uses effects!) :D

Listen to Paradise Lost - As i die. The very last time he sings "as i die" it sounds like the vocals are about to dissappear for one second.

Something like the above can be found on the end of Wreath:
"Staring right back
Spiritual decay - Still seeking
Frozen in time
Mourn this departure - All watching
Calling me back
Closure to bleak matters- I'm leaving
End of a search
Coming of morning"

Not quite as weak as on As i die, but it's similar.

The best growls in my opinion are on BWP, he varies very much there.

If his growling is getting weaker why does he sound the most brutal on RTC? It's gotta be the production....personally I think his vox on MAYH far surpass all the others...the growling is just insane...

The early albums have the best growls... I never get bored of them.... however, Mike no longer things they are cool... probably because his voice can't do it any more... lol.

Still Life is probably the best overall effort vocally - the clean vocals are just outstanding. Smoking kills your voice, so it's no doubt the vocals will be getting worse.

I love the growls on every album, I couldn't pick a favourite.

definately! why did no one else mantion MAYH? THE BEST ALBUM?!?!!

definitely*

Don't ever make that mistake again, Rob, or I shall brutally sodomise you.

MAYH is the best album though. :)

Static said:
*shakes his head in disbelief*

You're an ass.
why, for telling you something you should have known?

and i said i didn't wanna hear it, now if you can't listen you'll be standing in the corner.

behave.

Someone tell me one valid reason why Brave Murder Day doesn't have his best growls. They are absolutely wicked, they almost reach white noise at points with complete throat-shredding anguish. It sounds like someone puking their soul out for everyone to see. Absolutely chilling.

I think the difference is that the vocals are much more raw on Deliverance, by that i mean they have been processed and EQ-ed much less than on the other albums.... i think that gives rise to this "weakness" you guys talk about, mind you I don't see it as weakness at all....

I guess you're talking about that high crackling thing that his throat does when he sustains some of the high notes... that doesn't sound weak to me at all, it sounds like he's pushing the hardest he possibly can.

But yeah, see, i believe that reverb would cover that up, and I think there is more reverb on his growling on say - Still Life.