Mikael's Voice

Spinifex

New Metal Member
Mar 11, 2006
OK, I'm relatively new to Dark Tranquillity. The first album I heard was Projector and I love it. I really like the mix of 'growling' and 'singing'. So I bought Haven since it came out after that, and the music is quite good, but well, the vocals are all the same - growling (also sort of subdued). Are there other albums like Projector or have I just discovered the album I would like most first? What are some opinions of Mikael's voice, especially his 'singing' on Projector?

Welcome to the boards. :)

Unfortunately, Projector is the only album with "singing" vocals (not counting Emptier still on Haven). All other albums have growling (and very powerful) vocals. Projector is Dark Tranquillity's "mellow" album.

welcome!

imho, mikeal's voice is just the most fascinating and powerful voice of the the whole metal scene, coz it mixed harsh growling+screaming and sometimes also clean vocals.. it changes every time and this is what makes it abosolutely unique. anyway u better check out all other albums, and let's hope in the next one mikeal pulls out of the drawer clean vocals once again!

UndoControl said:
(not counting Emptier still on Haven)
And Through Ebony Archways on Skydancer.
I'm not sure I care for clean vocals in Dark Tranquillity, since after the initial Projector-phase I've started mostly preferring their heavier stuff.

@Spinifex: well, you have to listen to that "growling" a lot more. Theres plenty of different colours and emotions in it. It sounds the same on the first few listens, but then youll realise Mikeal is really good at it. He can talk and whisper in the growling manner and there are also other specialties he uses, which you have to disclose first. I dont care much for clean vocals either, because I think Mikael is not so sure a singer as he is a, lets say, growler.

i agree with marduk. i also think mikael's clean voice is rich and deep, but his clean singing isn't as 'developed' as his growling.
that said, his clean vocals was what drew me in metal in the first place.

Something has go to give.............

Spinifex,

Projector is one of my favorite DT albums. You do get used to his voice on the other albums and after a while it doesn't make any difference.

...............These things I just don't want you to know

Spinifex,

Projector is one of my favorite DT albums. You do get used to his voice on the other albums and after a while it doesn't make any difference.

Mikael's growls are revered across death metal. His clean singing, in my opinion, is rather dull, reminds me of a sad cowboy. And this is coming from someone who likes bands who like to alternate growls and cleans.

Zephyrus said:
Mikael's growls are revered across death metal. His clean singing, in my opinion, is rather dull, reminds me of a sad cowboy. And this is coming from someone who likes bands who like to alternate growls and cleans.

I'd take it that you've heard of Opeth. :) Their one of the coolest at alternating between growling and clean vocals.

A Reason To Sing said:
I'd take it that you've heard of Opeth. :) Their one of the coolest at alternating between growling and clean vocals.

Well, Akerfeldt also sucked on the first few albums, whereas his growling (along with the blackish screaming, which was more the case on Orchid and Morningrise) has always been absolutely great. He has evolved as clean vocalist from album to album and from Damnation (where he alreayd felt so sure of himself as to put out an album like that) he has been really good. Had Mikael Stanne done the same, he wouldvebeen a lot better, too. But for me, one of the mightiest voices regarding growling/screaming/clean vocals is possessed by Phil Anselmo.

Haha, that's a good one. Mind you I'm fittingly listening to Pantera at the moment, but Phil Anselmo's voice got totally blown somewhere between Vulgar Display and Trendkill.

marduk1507 said:
Well, Akerfeldt also sucked on the first few albums, whereas his growling (along with the blackish screaming, which was more the case on Orchid and Morningrise) has always been absolutely great. He has evolved as clean vocalist from album to album and from Damnation (where he alreayd felt so sure of himself as to put out an album like that) he has been really good. Had Mikael Stanne done the same, he wouldvebeen a lot better, too. But for me, one of the mightiest voices regarding growling/screaming/clean vocals is possessed by Phil Anselmo.

Yes, I've noticed, but I was simply refering Opeth because the other fellow said that he likes bands that mix up the growling and the clean vocals. :)

Vocalist evolve.

i agree with 'a reason to sing', in fact i love how mikael sings clean and growls but opeth has this voice...the growls so powerful yet the cleans so.. angelic..dunno opeth brought me to metal with black rose immortal, and it is a song with too much emotions, growls awaking strenght and the cleans taking you to new dimensions lol...hard to explain :p...anyway i love to sing, and i always sing clean..sometimes i do a lil scream, try to growl..but i dont know how to do it, i think i got it but practice makes perfect huh? hehe... you know, i am more active in cobs forum but they are all to agressive, i prefer it here, you are always very kind :)