Does DT depresses you?

UndoControl said:
Dafne: I strongly advise you to listen to "Lethe" again, this time paying close attention to the lyrics and just feeling Mikael's screams. :)
really you can't imagine the sadness it brings to me!!!!! it's a strong pain inside!!! and I hate that feeling!!!!

Siren said:
Apart from the fact that all writers are different and have their personal style, which noone can deny, i think the difference you're referring to has to do with the difference of the albums. The writing of those lyrics was like that because that's what was best and suited those certain albums. Mikael's current style suits the current albums. For me it would be very interesting to see Niklas write some lyrics for the new album.

You're right. I also think the style of songwriting is related to the albums but, I've seen, even in Skydancer, differences 'tween Niklas and Mikael's writing. The major one is that Mikael seems to write in short images that link together in order to express a social message or feelings. Niklas, on the other hand is using metaphors and comparisons in a more fluent way in order to tell a specific story or to express things like the beauty of nature or loneliness. All in all, they're both great writers....I think my explanation isn't fully comprehensive. Maybe when I'll have more time (I'm running out right now) I'll post a new thread and try to explain in a more detailed way, with examples, the differences I see between the two.

@Rampage: i'd like to see that thread, i haven't gone into it that much to actually make comparisons, so it'd definitely be interesting to read thoughts on that.

@siren : The thread will be up in a few days. I'm presently running through all DT's lyrics and preparing my examples and comparisons. Also, and this is an early announcement, I will be posting a new DT song survivor but, focused on the lyrics only. This means people will vote for their favorite songs lyric-wise. Of course this poll will be up and running only after Villain's survivor will come to end (one at a time is enough I believe). That's all I will say for now, I will post further information about the survivor and the way it'll work in the next few weeks.

RampageSword said:
Also, and this is an early announcement, I will be posting a new DT song survivor but, focused on the lyrics only. This means people will vote for their favorite songs lyric-wise. Of course this poll will be up and running only after Villain's survivor will come to end (one at a time is enough I believe). That's all I will say for now, I will post further information about the survivor and the way it'll work in the next few weeks.

Not to imply that your plan ever needed any kind of acceptance from me, but this sounds like a very good idea and I'll fully support it. Note, however, that unless you want to spend several years with your survivor, you need to find a faster system than the one we currently use on the DT Song Survivor. And no, I do not regret choosing such a slow method, I'm just no longer young enough for another marathon like that.

-Villain (getting slowly wiser and quickly older)

hi. It's strange that with a topic like this one, nobody has already spoken about the melancholy and sadness expressed through black metal bands like emperor, darkthrone, etc. Dark tranquillity songs are for sure melancholic but also full of power, emotions and positivity. Am I right?

Villain said:
Not to imply that your plan ever needed any kind of acceptance from me, but this sounds like a very good idea and I'll fully support it. Note, however, that unless you want to spend several years with your survivor, you need to find a faster system than the one we currently use on the DT Song Survivor. And no, I do not regret choosing such a slow method, I'm just no longer young enough for another marathon like that.

-Villain (getting slowly wiser and quickly older)

About my project requiring your acceptance, I don't take it as such and I'm actually flattered to have your support. besides I've already communicated with rahvin and I have is support too. Also, when it comes to the question of time, I know your survivor took about 3-4 years. Mine, after a fast calculation, would last for approximately 1 year. I'll have all the details and information posted once yours is finished (I don't want to have two polls at once and I don't want yours veiling mine or vice versa).

Siren, why not? It's true, DT music is not only made of sadness. There are also very epic, beautifull parts. I really do not understand why you see all this sadness in their music. Please give me some explanations because "no" is noy enough to understand your point of view

UndoControl said:
Not positivity, but i agree on the power and emotion.

take "a bolt of blazing gold". a serene, idyllic presentation of the peaceful acceptance of feelings and thoughts in certain environmental conditions. i remember that, back in 1994, what struck me as most original was how different that song was from the usual themes of death metal: there was no lethal conflict there, no torn emotions. only the satisfied, calm smile of someone who was contemplating the natural beauty of the universe.

rahvin said:
take "a bolt of blazing gold". a serene, idyllic presentation of the peaceful acceptance of feelings and thoughts in certain environmental conditions. i remember that, back in 1994, what struck me as most original was how different that song was from the usual themes of death metal: there was no lethal conflict there, no torn emotions. only the satisfied, calm smile of someone who was contemplating the natural beauty of the universe.

wow. if only you had told me back then. :lol:

@fab:
UndoControl said:
Not positivity, but i agree on the power and emotion.

Also epic and beautiful doesn't necessarily mean positive. And i hardly see black metal as melancholic.

no? So what's your definition of black metal? Mine is depression, melancholy, but also power and majesty (like you can hear in melodies of emperor). Even this time I'm not right?