Does DT depresses you?

yeah but stop saying i'm stupid or that i don't understand anything, it's really not necessary. Just let me know your opinion on black metal, if you think all I say is crap

Well, for me DT is not positive at all. I honestly hear the positveness in any song...if I want positive songs I'll go listen to some power or something.

For me black metal is dark, melancholic, anger-like,and hate-like.

@fab: You misunderstood me. I didn't say you're stupid. You asked me what my definition of black metal is and i told you my opinion. I think black metal is stupid.

ok no prob siren. Anyway, I guess that what you mean is that black metal is stupid because of some black metalers and their bastard neo nazi philosophy, and if i'm right I totally agree with you. But I just find some of them are really talented

rahvin: I admit i haven't paid that much attention to th older songs. When i said that, i was referring to their newer ones.

Siren: Are you assuming DT can be classified as black metal?

And Dark Tranquillity, regardless of whether it's black metal and of what black metal is or is not, is one of the most melancholic bands i've ever heard (imo, anyway). To me, that (melancholy) is the one thing that's characterized DT since "Skydancer" and which will never die (not even if DT gets more "extreme", following the course of Damage-Character-heavier).

@Undo: have i been that unclear? let's try one more time:

i think DT doesn't have much positivity, but it has power and emotion and epicness and beauty.
i don't think black metal is melancholic.

i think black metal is stupid.
i seem to appreciate DT in some way since i post on their forum, therefore i don't think DT is stupid.

so i hardly see where you got that i think DT is black metal from.
to make it even more clear, i think there's nothing black metal about DT and i take all such connections as offensive. ;)

@fab: i guess you're keen on making leaps of logic and/or faith in order to draw conclusions about what i think. so far you've been wrong 100% on what i think, so please stop making such assumptions. i just think black metal is stupid, end of story.

Siren said:
@fab: i guess you're keen on making leaps of logic and/or faith in order to draw conclusions about what i think. so far you've been wrong 100% on what i think, so please stop making such assumptions. i just think black metal is stupid, end of story.

geez. or you could dismount and tell him why.

Siren said:
@Undo: have i been that unclear?
I'd say you've just been a humongous jackass.

Which rahvin noted, I see, but I suppose I'll add another voice to the choirs of resentment.

Anyway, I'm not that big on black metal, but yes some of what I like definitely has elements of melancholy. Only need to listen to With Strength I Burn for that. Ulver's Nattens Madrigal is melancholic too in a way, though mostly due to the lyrics.

TheFourthHorseman said:
I'd say you've just been a humongous jackass.

Which rahvin noted, I see, but I suppose I'll add another voice to the choirs of resentment.
why, thanks, you're always very kind.

Siren i think u're misunderstood too... And reply to the topic: When i first listen Lethe i almost lost my stability :) it drove me too bad... And i couldn't wake myself up from that depression long time...

Siren:

No, not that unclear, just:

Siren said:
Also epic and beautiful doesn't necessarily mean positive.
^ talking about DT

and

Siren said:
And i hardly see black metal as melancholic.
^ in the same paragraph

Which looks as if black metal and DT were very closely related (i.e. DT being black metal, or some other close relationship of the sort).

And then your other posts say that you dislike black metal, which implies that DT aren’t black metal.

So i didn’t really know what you were talking about. I thought i’d missed something. Or something.

And, for all that, do you think DT are melancholic?

Not sure if this is really necessary, but to prevent further misunderstandings I'll say that to me what Siren said was rather obvious, and I don't think she needs to try to explain her tastes any further than what she already did (she thinks black metal is stupid), as doing so would probably require a huge effort - if I right now tried to explain why I think all rap is stupid, it would take hours, possibly days. Then again, the lack of explanations in her replies might appear somewhat rude - yet in my opinion not to the extent of being purposefully insulting.

Thus, in conclusion, this short discussion should not be an issue at all. Tomorrow none of us even remembers it.

rahvin said:
take "a bolt of blazing gold". a serene, idyllic presentation of the peaceful acceptance of feelings and thoughts in certain environmental conditions. i remember that, back in 1994, what struck me as most original was how different that song was from the usual themes of death metal: there was no lethal conflict there, no torn emotions. only the satisfied, calm smile of someone who was contemplating the natural beauty of the universe.

Ah, yes. No words can grasp this song better than what you just did.

-Villain

@Undo: Ok, now i see your point. Actually i only referred to DT in the same paragraph with black metal because fab combined them in one paragraph/post and "melancholy" seemed to connect those topics. In my mind it was two completely different topics (black metal and positivity in DT) and i had to reply to both. And i also tried to make the point that DT is melancholic (not positive) but bm is not melancholic and things got confused somewhere there. :p

Anyway, i do think DT are melancholic, sometimes. Of course they're not a happy happy pop band (therefore my conviction that there's no positivity). Then of course you can find much more melancholic bands than DT. It's actually all a matter of personal taste, regarding what someone thinks as melancholic and what not.
I find DT to be somewhere between melancholic and energetic, some songs give me the feeling of aggressiveness and energy, and some other make me deeply depressed.

Villain said:
Not sure if this is really necessary, but to prevent further misunderstandings I'll say that to me what Siren said was rather obvious, and I don't think she needs to try to explain her tastes any further than what she already did (she thinks black metal is stupid), as doing so would probably require a huge effort - if I right now tried to explain why I think all rap is stupid, it would take hours, possibly days. Then again, the lack of explanations in her replies might appear somewhat rude - yet in my opinion not to the extent of being purposefully insulting.

Thus, in conclusion, this short discussion should not be an issue at all. Tomorrow none of us even remembers it.
Thanks for this reply, i couldn't have said it better. :)

To me it was quite a surprise that at least the regulars here didn't recognise my style of replying (i don't use that style much, but i've used it before).

Usually when you talk about your tastes in threads like this noone asks you to justify your opinion. As you said, it's not exactly easy to justify tastes. Still i was asked to, and i tried, but up to the point i could (and had energy and time for). Maybe the short straight style in my replies was taken as rude, but it wasn't meant to be that, just straight.

There really is no "why" about my opinion on bm, if there was i would have saved us all the trouble and would have gone straight into that. Years of psychanalysis have come to no conclusion, and i didn't want to just blame it on some obscure childhood trauma. :p

Undo said:
Ah, thank you for such a complete explanation. :D
you're welcome. :p