Michael Stanne's voice

rahvin said:
it is however possible that the third band in a row to jump on the same bandwagon won't get much benefits from the change in style, and lose their former fans without finding room to fit in the higher league. in flames will probably experience some fleeting popularity then revert back to average-to-small sized band, and i can't really imagine a conscious choice on the part of their members, while it makes more sense to me that they just got influenced by some nu-metal bands they liked. even more so arch enemy or soilwork, who will probably get next to no advantages from their change of direction aside from a slightly less invisible video-rotation on mtv.

Yeah I agree, but it's NOT JUST ABOUT THAT!! I mean, even if you like "TRVE METHUL" more, it must be great to be considered as a "ROCK BAND" more than the underground callings, it's like hitting the ears of everyone, and it's more like silk shirts than beer stinking obscure bandshirt. And think as a musician, playing Creed/Bush/NickelBack music on a big stage is a bit more exciting than playing complicated riffs with a hyper fast drum without any bouncy rythm and shit. It's something that not everybody can understand. Myself I find not only easier to engineer the sound of rock music,but also It feels good to the ears somehow.

There is that "I wanna sell more and be on the cover of popular zines" thing, but not just that. And we know that losing fans isn't that bad when you open your music to USA. The fan loss is neglectable. Fans would say that fans have to be cared for, but they're fans, so of course they'd say that! Metallica got the big story like that, and hear them now! They are FED UP of bitching fans, do you think musicians will let the fans decide for them forever? Even myself I wouldn't.

no musician would make music for the fans. of course it's a genuine feeling if you stand on stage and people actually enjoy what you are doing, even if it be only two or three. but you do it mainly for your own benefits, to feel happy as well. and at some point it just all gets too time- and ressources-consuming that money as a factor comes into play. if any band mentions their care about their fans they either mean they like to party and want to have fun or they think about their income, their merchandise, their website counters. and somewhere in between these two groups of musicians is the borderline which seperates "underground" from "mainstream" bands. and fans can do nothing to alter the label of a band.

The whole thing with people saying a band sells out... What those people need to realize, although maybe they do, is that certain kinds of music, even certain styles of metal, appeal to different people depending on what their beliefs or general thought process is about life. I at least think this happenss on an unconscious level. So when an individual hears a new sound by a band that they previously adored, and that sound kind of clashes with the orignal way they viewed the band, that person kind of takes it personally. Because that person wanted to hear more music along the same lines that he/she previously listened to the band for. But as everyone has arleady said in this thread, bands have different things they are trying to accomplish with their music. And what right does a fan have to say, just because the music isn't the same, that the music isn't as inspired or tr00 as it used to be. It's just that the band has found another way of expressing an idea, and they want to go along with it and see what doors it opens. If people could listen to a new album knowing that the band may have actually found another way to express and idea which my be inspiring to listen to, there possibly wouldn't be as much dissention from music fans.

krigsbarn said:
Agreed, but "appreciate" and "ask for". Is not the same thing. I don't want DT to add vocals, I want them to do what they always done well, and if they say they'll add clean vocals, I'll remember of Skydancer and Projector, how they did very well sticking their music with clean vocals. So it's cool. And we'll always know there are songs that can't have clean vocals on it

of course. I just got the feeling that you thought the original post was stupid just because he "wanted" something which could be seen as leading to a more commercial sound, or something...

oh, absolutely. that they thought about changing to only using clean vocals (if that´s what you meant, rahvin?) was quite a surprise for me, and I`m happy they didn´t... of course it should only appear when there is a reason (whatever that reason may be) for them. e.g, day to end would probably suck big time with growling...

Well his clean voice are nice but it's just not him...I mean I loved projector but if DT was to beacome a clean voice band..well I would hate it!! Cause one of dt's beauty is Stannes great vocals...like it's now...Another kind of projector with both clean and extrem would be cool.

VultureCulture said:
no musician would make music for the fans. of course it's a genuine feeling if you stand on stage and people actually enjoy what you are doing, even if it be only two or three. but you do it mainly for your own benefits, to feel happy as well. and at some point it just all gets too time- and ressources-consuming that money as a factor comes into play. if any band mentions their care about their fans they either mean they like to party and want to have fun or they think about their income, their merchandise, their website counters. and somewhere in between these two groups of musicians is the borderline which seperates "underground" from "mainstream" bands. and fans can do nothing to alter the label of a band.

indeed!!

I have to say that I don't like Stanne's clean vocals...they are not bad at all but I don't see it as part of their music. Anyway, I don't see it as a bad thing if they use it with way like in songs Emptier Still, FreeCard or Nether Novas... but no more songs like Auctioned.

But finally, the band decide what they want to do, but I will be happy if they continue with same way as in Damage Done.

Aldraugth said:
I have to say that I don't like Stanne's clean vocals...they are not bad at all but I don't see it as part of their music. Anyway, I don't see it as a bad thing if they use it with way like in songs Emptier Still, FreeCard or Nether Novas... but no more songs like Auctioned.

But finally, the band decide what they want to do, but I will be happy if they continue with same way as in Damage Done.

I really liked the clean vocals on Shadow Duet .. and Crimson Winds... I always love when it goes "The paleness of winte'hr reflects iiiinn her eeeeyes..."

seventi said:
I want a similar Damage Done album, but with clean vox. That would be amazing!

A lot of things would be amazing, but systematically, what most people want is Dark Tranquillity becoming more like britneyspears. Hence the success of Evanescence.

krigsbarn said:
A lot of things would be amazing, but systematically, what most people want is Dark Tranquillity becoming more like britneyspears. Hence the success of Evanescence.
define "people". ;)
as a side note, i like evanescence's big hit. i know it's considered blasphemy around here, and i'm not even getting into how pop-friendly the whole band and their music is, but i do like that song. the same doesn't apply to the rest of their record.

rahvin said:
define "people". ;)
as a side note, i like evanescence's big hit. i know it's considered blasphemy around here, and i'm not even getting into how pop-friendly the whole band and their music is, but i do like that song. the same doesn't apply to the rest of their record.

You kinda confirm what I say, you like evanescence, mister A likes evanescence, mister B... C.... MOST PEOPLE, ok you can dislike some songs of them and other things about it, but it's pretty much what I said, you just think I'm doing stupid rants while I'm making a point. Why aren't all meals with sugar and cherries on the top? And liking True dark tranquillity doesn't mean hating the album haven or anything catchy. Even myself I listened 3 times in a row today the song Going under from Evanescence, because it's good, but I also recorded a raw black metal demo awhile ago, did I made it sound like "Baby One more time" from britney just because I like catchy stuffs too ? no. Because things are different, not on a ladder going from underground to catchy and who's on the top of it will be more amazing.

I'm sick of evanescense...

I heard them first a while befor ethye became popular, thought it was OK, but they have one over played song, and one that's ewell on the way. it isn't good enough to repeat that often, as almost no songs are (maybe ten to twenty that I have EVER heard)

@kriegsbarn: i don't think you're making stupid rants. it's not that i mean to invalidate a theory of yours - whatever it may be - anytime i mention i like a song by some band. this really does go way beyond my intentions, which hardly ever - through my daily life - have to do with boycotting your posts. ;)