Mikael's Voice

now correct me if I'm wrong: in 'shadow duet', the part starting with "one shadow of beauty..." is Mikael's voice?? I'm damn sure of myself but it's not mentioned.

and is there anybody, who thinks Mikael's clean voice reminds Dave Gahan's (from Depech Mode) voice ?

Zephyrus said:
Mikael's growls are revered across death metal. His clean singing, in my opinion, is rather dull, reminds me of a sad cowboy. And this is coming from someone who likes bands who like to alternate growls and cleans.

i'm not that harsh on judging mikael stanne's clean vocals, but, well, i simply don't like it much.
his growling is hands down the best in the music scene, he can modulate it and shape it to get whatever emotional feedback you can think of.
but one of the reason projector is my least favorite album is because of the vocals.

^I'll have to agree with that. Mikael's growling is definitely one of the best in the whole metal scene. His ability to render emotions like sadness or despair through his harsh voice is undeniable and I actually never heard someone who can do it as well as him. However, is clear voice can be disappointing. Sometimes, it seems like he's almost losing his breath. At least he's not as bad as the singer from Overhead.

I recall this being discussed somewhere in the past but..

If we go into this Mikael of Opeth versus Mikael of DT, which is anyway kind of stupid, I´d say Mikael wins.
I have to say, I don´t see the reason why Åkerfeldt is considered the best growler by so many people, when his voice is so mediocre. He differs from an ordinary bloond-squirting gutbreaker from Belgium with the money spent on recording his vocals and "angelic" clean voice, which is like´s Jonas Renkse reduced with 4. I know, I´ve never heard him singing out of tune, but well - I never heard him doing stuff which would ask for more than five notes, either.

Mikeal S on the other, has also his cons. His growling has stuck on the same thing since Haven, becoming more monotonic and so on. On The Gallery he sang with passion, but it´s just that badly arranged tired coughing (the newest album, mostly).
To avoid making the dude cry, and for the record, his clean voice on the other hand, has taken a long jump from boyish and neo-power metal Skydancer-times to this melodramatic singer that he now is. He distantly reminds me of these highly appreciated female pop-singers, who a sing a ballad a nighte in the radio channels aimed for the people over 32.

Anyway, If you want a mix between cleans and distortion, I´d say try Vintersorg. He´s good.

I'd say that both singers are different. ;)

^2 points to the one that gets that inside joke. Come on guys, that one's easy.

khanyon said:
and is there anybody, who thinks Mikael's clean voice reminds Dave Gahan's (from Depech Mode) voice ?

i've never thought about it, and i can't say it rings a bell now either.
the most obvious dt-dm connection to me is day to end in general.

RampageSword said:
I'd say that both singers are different. ;)

^2 points to the one that gets that inside joke. Come on guys, that one's easy.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229951&page=4

yay, points!

Mikael's voice on The Gallery was the ultimate metal voice, IMO. It just kept on going worse after that though. Still good though, except on Character where his voice sounds really dry, you can tell he's been doing it for 10+ years ^^;...

But what really turned me off about his voice is that it's THE WORST VOICE I'VE EVER HEARD LIVE. The DT DVD seriously made me want to puke because of that. I swear to God, he can't deliver ANYTHING live... it's really sad.