Growls: How far could one go?

In "between two worlds" the album of the superband band of Abbath "I" (that i looooove, i wish they make more albums!) he has lot of pitch changing growl for example in this song:

go to 4:27

and many others of the same album... This side project changed a lot Abbath's voice style despite this is not properly growl like M.Akerfeldt does, but i think it's a good example!

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot fully growl and sing at the same time. You can however half growl and half sing. Never heard anyone growl like Mikael while having a clear pitch (well there's some hidden pitch that sounds more like a frequency); the only way would be to have a second throat.

In Heir Apparent, during the famous E-string-only riff, maybe some of you noticed that Mikael's voice was a bit different, more brutal, and that you could clearly hear a pitch in his voice. Mostly in the last sequence...

"A burden so great weights heavy on old and withered beliefs; the swift solution crumbles beneath the mock notes of a masterpiece"

I thought about it, but if we had more vocals chords, our talking would be different and our growls would already be doubled, it's sorta relative.

How do you mean? I've had a long day and maybe I'm just not in the zone to think, but could you explain this a bit more?

To clarify, I was just talking about how some monks have learned how to uses both sets of vocal cords at the same time but can make each one say something else. At least I read it about it some where...

Right, must be I either misinterpreted what I read or the article was fraudulent. Either way, I don't exactly remember now, but I believe I was thinking of using that technique to growl in one voice and pitch in the other simultaneously.