The "Mike's Growls" thread?

He has a very deep natural voice, a good technique (for death growls) and a perfect (almost) pronunciation. He knows how to sing, clearly. Maybe he's not able to sing like those power metal bands, but he's still one of the greatest death metal singer.

I just think that having a deep voice adds a certain "strenght" to it. Don't you?

He has a very deep natural voice, a good technique (for death growls) and a perfect (almost) pronunciation. He knows how to sing, clearly. Maybe he's not able to sing like those power metal bands, but he's still one of the greatest death metal singer.

I just think that having a deep voice adds a certain "strenght" to it. Don't you?

Yeah, definitely.

There's no question that his skill in normal vocals HAS to help with the extreme vocals.

To me, the perplexing thing about his vocals is their "dry" quality.

It's something about the way that he can do it with almost NO gurgle sound.

Of course, it may have something to do with the quality of his normal voice.

For instance, I have a very coarse voice and a very coarse sounding growl, so I guess it might make sense for someone who has a nice smooth voice to have a "smooth" sounding growl as well.

Before Opeth I didn't even like Growls! But Mike made me change my mind completely, now I absolutely adore Brutality on vocals. BUT! I can't still get my ear around the other brutal singers I've listened. Mike is the ultimate growler for me too. When he growls you can hear feelings.

You don't need to have a deep speaking voice to have a great growl though. Karl Sanders from Nile has the deepest growl I've ever heard, and his speaking voice is kinda high pitched. You just have to know the right technique.

I can growl kinda deep, not Mikael deep though. I think I'm using a different technique. hmmmm

Hello all, my first post here :p

I read somewhere on the net that Mikael uses some kind of instruments (vocal pedals?) to manipulate his voice to come out like those "great" vocals.

Is anyone out there knowing this issue? Are we hearing his pure voice or manipulated version?

Thanks in advance!

worst first post ever.

worst first post ever.

Thanks to you for sincere compliment.

I fail to see in what way it is so bad. I am no into technical details about vocals yet I wanted to learn some about it. Whats so awful about not knowing something?

I just wonder would ignoring such guys like you, help to improve my mood generally?

Thanks to you for sincere compliment.

I fail to see in what way it is so bad. I am no into technical details about vocals yet I wanted to learn some about it. Whats so awful about not knowing something?

I just wonder would ignoring such guys like you, help to improve my mood generally?

i just cant believe u think he uses effects on his voice. :OMG:
it should be obvious that he doesnt.

i just cant believe u think he uses effects on his voice. :OMG:
it should be obvious that he doesnt.

All right, I know further pursuing conversations like that is quite pointless. However I declared that I dont know this issue very well and guy was pretty insistent that Mikael himself told it in an interview..

Apart from that what good is a forum if you wont learn anything?

Regards

^It's ok, it seems Lothlorien doesn't know the difference between not knowing something and actually believing something.

Anyways, as far as I know, he uses no effects on his voice outside of the studio. And even in the studio, the growls aren't really significantly manipulated. Again, this is as far as I know...

^It's ok, it seems Lothlorien doesn't know the difference between not knowing something and actually believing something.

Anyways, as far as I know, he uses know effects on his voice outside of the studio. And even in the studio, the growls aren't really significantly manipulated. Again, this is as far as I know...

? there's atleast 3 dozen threads on this forum that have already stated these facts. it's a waste for a debate on something that's already been proven to go on this long.

:) :heh: :) :heh:

I don't know, I don't think it's that big of a deal that he didn't search the forum on this topic if he's posting in a thread that was already made. If he had made an entirely new thread on the topic, then it would be different.

The only effects he seems to use in the studio are echoes and stuff like that. He doesn't use a compressor to get harsh vocals like shitty metalcore bands do.

Anyways, as far as I know, he uses no effects on his voice outside of the studio. And even in the studio, the growls aren't really significantly manipulated. Again, this is as far as I know...

lol true

You don't need to have a deep speaking voice to have a great growl though. Karl Sanders from Nile has the deepest growl I've ever heard, and his speaking voice is kinda high pitched. You just have to know the right technique.

I can growl kinda deep, not Mikael deep though. I think I'm using a different technique. hmmmm

Yea, that's pretty wierd. I always imagined Karls voice to be very deep, but when I heard him speaking in an interview I was taken aback a bit :loco:
Do you post on the Nile board?

I've done a few half-decent growls for the first time now (see the post your own recordings thread), and it only works for me if I do them quietly and then turn up the volume. I've tried them before and it hurted my voice after a few lines, but now I think I found the way to do it properly, just going from the stomach, focusing on keeping it low. What I'm wondering is how loud Mikael actually growls, I imagine his volume is a lot higher than mine, that would seem to me as the only way to make it sound decent live without having too much background noise.

The only effects he seems to use in the studio are echoes and stuff like that. He doesn't use a compressor to get harsh vocals like shitty metalcore bands do.

LOL. yes he uses compression on the vocals. who the fuck does not use compression on the vocals? He doesn't use it to get "harsh vocals like shitty metalcore bands do" though, not sure where you got that from?

Yea, that's pretty wierd. I always imagined Karls voice to be very deep, but when I heard him speaking in an interview I was taken aback a bit
Do you post on the Nile board?

yeah, my nick there is The faded scar.