PW's Opeth cover thread

Protected Witness

Magickal Theatre 33
Sep 27, 2002
www.mrniel.net
www.mrniel.net
**(removed from previous thread and started up here for ultimate spammage...learn from me kids, I am the self promoting spam master)**

Alright. Before Moonlapse became Mr. Moderator/Opeth coverboy extremo, there was me, Mr. Niel (before joining the Witness Protection Program), in his place, spamming the hell out of my own music as well as all these little Opeth covers I've made on this very board. A recent formatting of my hard drive allowed me to uncover these songs as a reminder of the shit I used to spend too much time on.

They are all recorded between 2003 - 2004 and have various production styles, my path into home recording has been a crash course to say the least. Whenever there was a lapse in DIE material or I just got bored, I would make something like these following songs...

Full songs:

Closure

The Moor

Demon of the Fall

Now these first two are done by DIE, with most of the Moor's music being done by a board member whose name I think is Kranki or Cranki, but I can't remember and they took out the search function, so it may remain a mystery forever. Closure is okay, but it suffers from a plight of many of our first mixing attempts: STUPID LOUD HI-HATS. The drum programming at the end is sort of lazy as well, but it worked out pretty cool. (I lied about the Moor being a full song too, as it is really about half of it)

Demon of the Fall came a little later (this is me by myself), and turned out pretty good except for the half assed vocals, and the lame drum programming during the slow part (damn you, FRuITY LoopS 3.0!!)

Clips:

Advent

Dirge

April Ethereal

Forest of October

Advent is one of the very first things I recorded, which is why it sounds completely different from everything else. The drums are very stupid sounding, but I still think it's a cool clip because I played everything in Bb instead of E.

Dirge is just the outro acoustic piece...pretty.

April Ethereal is the Outro, done the updated way they do it with Per now (I think). I half assed the vocals again though.

Forest of October is the last third of the song. I play some wicked bass on here, that first bass player in Opeth was pretty kickass...one of the solos is my own too. I think this is my favorite clip.

There are other very early clips that hopefully no one remembers of me and Jack doing Drapery Falls and some other things that were pretty piss poor. They did not make the cut.

---

Now some of you noobs who haven't been spammed by me before may be asking yourselves "Does this guy have his own projects?"

http://www.mrniel.com

And yes, they all sound better than these clips. Particularly the new DIE stuff, which will be finished up later this year.

Emperor Cover:
http://www.mrniel.com/infinity.mp3