Mike's growl changing?

Godhead59

Dim Sam
Jun 6, 2006
Harlequin Forest
Hey everybody.
So now that I see Watershed being discussed and that people actually have both physical and digital copies of it, I thought about bringing this next topic up. Mike's deeper growl seems to be changing, or I may be just now noticing something that's always been there, I don't know.
On Heir Apparent, I can't help but notice the sound of Mike's growl changing up quite dramatically.
Listen to his growl at the beginning where he just starts growling (especially around 01:47) Then listen to the first fast part (04:09). Now listen to the fast part that comes after the short acoustic interlude with Mike's slide going on (05:29-05:50). His growl sounds noticeably different from, say, Ghost of Perdition (06:38). It's almost as if you can hear more of his voice behind the growl.
The same can be noticed on this and this (white faced, haggard grin part).
Seems to happen when he uses deeper tones.
I can't seem to remember Mike ever growling like this. Weird.

Did any of you notice this?
Am I just hearing stuff that's not there?

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been screaming his ass off for a long time. His voice has gone over many noticable changes. Orchid compared to MAYH for example, both growl and clean. I think it has changed for the better over the years.

sry for ignorance was unblessing the purity recorded before or after watershed? coz it has his best "death" performance by far

Its strange to see Mikeal getting better as people have said most vocalist's deteriorate the worst example being Anders Frieden who started off as one of the best Death Metal vocalists imo (I love his vocals on the jester race) and then just went shit because he fucked up his throat.

Its strange to see Mikeal getting better as people of said most vocalist's deteriorate the worst example being Anders Frieden who started off as one of the best Death Metal vocalists imo (I love his vocals on the jester race) and then just went shit because he fucked up his throat.

probably has alot to do with technique.

If I remember correctly, Mikael has said that the growls in Ghost of Perdition are less "distorted" than the ones in Watershed.

Its strange to see Mikeal getting better as people of said most vocalist's deteriorate the worst example being Anders Frieden who started off as one of the best Death Metal vocalists imo (I love his vocals on the jester race) and then just went shit because he fucked up his throat.

No, his best vocals were on Subterranean. Oh wait lolololololol, that wasn't him, it was the great Henke Forss! teh lulz
The JEster Race is cool though :p

Jester Race= In Flames' Opus.

sry for ignorance was unblessing the purity recorded before or after watershed? coz it has his best "death" performance by far

UTP was before Watershed I am pretty sure, but either way, the sound on UTP is more from production than anything else.

No, his best vocals were on Subterranean. Oh wait lolololololol, that wasn't him, it was the great Henke Forss! teh lulz
The JEster Race is cool though :p

Lol I personally don't like the vocals on subterranean that much they're good but I prefer anders but thats just personal preference really. Although thinking about the anders frieden thing most Death metal vocalist are actually encouraged to sing to improve they're technique maybe thats why hes been able to sustain both his clean vocals and his growls.

and yeah I'd definatly say that The jester race is in flames magnum-opus no contest imo.With Opeth its alot harder to determine they're magnum-opus because all their albums are so fucking good.

Definitely getting better Maybe just me, but i think the band as a whole has just been perfecting their sound with each release. Funny thing is, they're not even there yet. I really don't know of any other band that can improve like Opeth has been over the years. I can see them just getting better and better with every release. This goes for vocals, as well as creative music writing. Pretty soon they'll almost be super-human. Can't think of many other bands out there today with this much talent. AMAZING!!:OMG:

(Again, maybe it's just me...)