Yet another post about GROWLING

Black_paragon said:
I'll record me growling when its not 3 30 in the morning and I have a sleeping girlfriend next to me :D

firstly try losing some of the overall reverb sound.... the way I get my growls is tightening and loosening the muscles in my stomach to accenuate certain tones and strengths. an easy tip is to keep your mic cranked right up and growl quietly - less strain required, a more natural sound. I'll get a sample of me up somewhere when I can.
:)

Haha, good idea.. i would definitely like to hear it.

Reverb? What reverb?.. lol, just kidding.. There's tons of reverb on my voice in that clip.

hmm, i'll have to try that.. so do you think i'm straining myself by pushing too hard?

Yes, that guy from Kill Switch used his throat and now he can't sing anymore. He really fucked his throat up and had the quit the band.

About growling from the gut. I have heard that this is the best way to growl, but I can't figure it out. How do you do it?

Ok... growling from the gut. First you have to learn how to breathe correctly.. Take a deep breath, make sure your shoulders do NOT rise when you breathe in, thats wrong. Once you have the air in, put your hands on your sides, just below your ribs dont really squeeze, just place them against strong enough so you can feel the air inside when you breathe in... Now breathe out slowly, make a hissing sound if you must.. when breathing out, try to PUSH out from your stomache, youll feel pressure pushing out on your hands.. That is how you use your gut. The breathing will help you with growling also, cause if you cant breathe correctly, then you cant sing correctly, so trying to growl would be useless... Once you have the breathing and pushing out down, try growling.. It shouldnt be very loud, especially when you first start... It will be like talking softly.. After a while youll learn to build up the volume..

To growl, your throat shouldnt be dry.. If its dry and you push too hard, youll eventually be scraping your throat as you growl, which isnt very healthy.. Just drink some water, maybe wait a minute before you attempt... If you try too hard, youll just force out all the stuff in your throat and it will be dry again... Dont try too hard.. Keep the volume down until you have more control over your growls.

I hope some of this helps.... Well i hope someone actually reads it... Ive seen topics about "How to growl" pretty much every other week.. Is there anyone listening to me??? If you need more help getting the actual sound out, reply to this... Most of the people in this thread seem to already know how to get sound out...

I wish I had a way to record mine. I don't know if I'm using my mouth, throat, stomach, or ass. If I use each one, I get a different sound. Actually, scratch that last one.

I'm not sure if I'm actually using my stomach. Does it feel a certain way? I can teach you to do it the way I do it, but that's it...

I can't even blow up a balloon, so using my stomach is nearly impossible. However, of all people, my mom walked in me trying to growl and helped me out, giving me some tips.

If I use my throat, I get a horribly deep growl that is completely untelligible and very loud. After 2 or 3 seconds, the throat begins to burn and my voice cracks. I've done it a lot, so I recover right away, but I know it's wrong.

When I'm doing Slayer/Hatebreed styled shouting, my throat hurts also, and I run out of breath quickly.

However...my In Flames/Soilwork style growl works. Not always, but my throat hurts the least(cept when it's dry, ouch), I'm not really out of breath, and after I do it, if I don't breathe in, I can't push out my stomach. It doesn't happen. It's not sucked in, but I think i'm inadvertently using it. My mom gives me tips occasionally, but I think I've got it. It's not the powerful growl I had before, but it works.

Anyone need advice?

anonymousnick2001 said:
I can't even blow up a balloon, so using my stomach is nearly impossible. However, of all people, my mom walked in me trying to growl and helped me out, giving me some tips.

If I use my throat, I get a horribly deep growl that is completely untelligible and very loud. After 2 or 3 seconds, the throat begins to burn and my voice cracks. I've done it a lot, so I recover right away, but I know it's wrong.

When I'm doing Slayer/Hatebreed styled shouting, my throat hurts also, and I run out of breath quickly.

However...my In Flames/Soilwork style growl works. Not always, but my throat hurts the least(cept when it's dry, ouch), I'm not really out of breath, and after I do it, if I don't breathe in, I can't push out my stomach. It doesn't happen. It's not sucked in, but I think i'm inadvertently using it. My mom gives me tips occasionally, but I think I've got it. It's not the powerful growl I had before, but it works.

Anyone need advice?

It shouldnt hurt at all... Only if your throats really dry, but then you shouldnt be growling or singing =-p

Growling 101:An introductory course-Guest lecturers John Tardy and Tomas Lindberg. An excerpt from Lecture One.

N: Well John how do you do it?

JT: Well I sort of try to think of when I last vomited something really gross like after a 15 beer binge and two pizzas and it sort of comes out like that.

N: Many regard you as one of the sickest death metal vocalists ever to grace the genre.

JT: Well thanks I guess.

N: What did you just say?

N: Tomas you tend to sound as if you are totally insane when you, ah, sing.

TL: I don't sing and yes I am insane.

For further enquires about Death-Metal University contact N. At Shards Of Glass Stuck in the Throat.

I can growl even if my throat is dry.....

What you gotta do is instead of trying to growl a word, start with "grrrrrrrrr" until you find the sweet spot, then take it from there. Or at least what's what I did.

illbeleavinnow said:
You can't grow like him, you're not him. He's able to go so deep because of his anatomy. I don't think any amount of practicing will make you be able to growl like him. If you can growl well NOW (well as in it does'nt hurt, it's from your stomach, and it doesn't take every ounce of effort), then that's YOUR growl and you can't change that.

That's such a load of bullshit.

Push from my stomache? My sholders shouldnt move when I breath? Agh? Is it normal for this green stuff to come out?

Hehe anyway, how do I make the sound when I push from my stomache and stuff. My shoulders still go up a little when I breath. :(