Growling........

Faaip De Oiad

Apr 20, 2005
I realise this isn't a very inventive question, but i haven't actually been able to find an answer in my long search.

Basically, We're doing some Opeth covers. (Demon of the fall, April ethereal, Godhead's lament), but i can't growl. Before answering, take in mind that I do realise Mikael is a special case in that he is very clear even when growling.

I thought i might as well ask where people might know him best.

Does anybody here know if there's any special way/technique to it? Is there any way i can train my voice to go that deep while growling? Or is it just a progression as we've seen in Mikael from Orchids to Deliverence?

Any help is appreciated

You need to be possessed by demons. Go and find a wicked priest, he'll sort you out.

Use your throat and mouth. That's what I do. Sounds better through a mic of course.

JeBuZ said:
Use your throat and mouth. That's what I do. Sounds better through a mic of course.

hahaha, i'll keep that in mind next time. How stupid of me, i've been using my arse this whole time, thanks for the killer tip! Any more thoughts of a great mind you wish to share?

Haha, the old thread on this was great, it involved several black men and bukkake.

I'll see if I can find it.

Faaip De Oiad said:
hahaha, i'll keep that in mind next time. How stupid of me, i've been using my arse this whole time, thanks for the killer tip! Any more thoughts of a great mind you wish to share?

No, I'm seriouse. Use the back of your throat as much as you use the front. It'll make you sound harsher. Kinda hard to control untill you get used to it.

It depends on the sort of growl you're trying to achieve.

I personally have never been able to get the sound Mikael gets. I think part of it is due to the amount of cigarretes he smokes and the alcohol he consumes. There is some real midrange shit in his growls that just HURTS to recreate. I think the substances aid the pain threshold in that area.

I find that the easiest growls to do are the cliche death growls. Try to start with them, because they damage your throat the least. Breathe in heavily, perk out your chest, use all the muscle power you can muster in your chest to push that air back out. Move your mouth into a sort of 'O' shape that muffles the air coming out. The actual sound that's being created is just due to the way air is passing through your throat. You shouldn't be using the voice for these at all... that just hurts and generally isn't healthy. You need to mess around until you find the right mouth/throat shape to create the growl.

Think about how you clear your throat. That feeling you get in your throat... that's how a growl feels. Try to replicate that by pushing air out of your lungs. It's pretty much just an elongated throat-clearing 'ahem', except more controlled and 'musical'.

Moonlapse said:
It depends on the sort of growl you're trying to achieve.

I personally have never been able to get the sound Mikael gets. I think part of it is due to the amount of cigarretes he smokes and the alcohol he consumes. There is some real midrange shit in his growls that just HURTS to recreate. I think the substances aid the pain threshold in that area.

I find that the easiest growls to do are the cliche death growls. Try to start with them, because they damage your throat the least. Breathe in heavily, perk out your chest, use all the muscle power you can muster in your chest to push that air back out. Move your mouth into a sort of 'O' shape that muffles the air coming out. The actual sound that's being created is just due to the way air is passing through your throat. You shouldn't be using the voice for these at all... that just hurts and generally isn't healthy. You need to mess around until you find the right mouth/throat shape to create the growl.

Think about how you clear your throat. That feeling you get in your throat... that's how a growl feels. Try to replicate that by pushing air out of your lungs. It's pretty much just an elongated throat-clearing 'ahem', except more controlled and 'musical'.

Yea, listen to that guy. ;)

Ok, cool, to Jebuz:sorry i was being an ass, i actually thought you were just being sarcastic(can't tell these things from the internet).

To Moonlapse: Thanks for the tips, that's the most useful tip i've been given when it comes to growling. I'll try to get that sound. Are you meant to exert as much force as a yell, to growl? Or just a control it?

All up:thanks guys, and hail Moonlapse, a fellow aussie :headbang:

In regards to how much force: It depends what kind of growl you're after. For the death metal growl I described above, no. You just want enough to push the air out at the right velocity. About the same force you use for clearing your throat. You'll know if you're using too much, because it will start hurting your throat.

If you want to do some Amon Amarth style stuff... that's a whole new thing. When you yell your voice naturally peaks at some volumes and distorts. Scream-growling is another technique where you learn to control that natural distortion and make it work for you. Jens Kidman from Meshuggah is pretty good at this. I've never tried it (I live in a residential area for God's sake, the neighbors would sodomize me).

haha, yeah, same situation here. My neighbours don't care...............but i've been banned by the court of NSW under penalty of death :( .

Have you heard Therion's Of Darkness album? That kind of death growl would be alright to achieve as well, is that a similar sound again?

Faaip De Oiad said:
Ok, cool, to Jebuz:sorry i was being an ass, i actually thought you were just being sarcastic(can't tell these things from the internet).

To Moonlapse: Thanks for the tips, that's the most useful tip i've been given when it comes to growling. I'll try to get that sound. Are you meant to exert as much force as a yell, to growl? Or just a control it?

All up:thanks guys, and hail Moonlapse, a fellow aussie :headbang:

Hehe, no problems. :p

I'm a fellow Aussie too. ;)

JeBuZ said:
Hehe, no problems. :p

I'm a fellow Aussie too. ;)

Well, i think that when Opeth tour next, there should be an Opeth forum (this place) meet up. (yes, that means Mikael is invited) haha. Just for the hell of it.

Faaip De Oiad said:
Well, i think that when Opeth tour next, there should be an Opeth forum (this place) meet up. (yes, that means Mikael is invited) haha. Just for the hell of it.

Hell yea. I've already asked a bunch of friends if they'd all come with me in a group and they'd kill to go.

Though I'd be going to Melbourne..