Yet another post about GROWLING

6Arch6Enemy6

There is no god.
Jun 21, 2002
Dicksmack, PA
Screamers.. help me out.

How in the hell does Mikael get that god damn deep growl that seems to come from his gut????

This is confusing the hell out of me.. when I growl I sound like Thomas Lindberg.. :yell: nothing's wrong with that.. At The Gates kicked and still kicks ass.. but i'd much rather have a deeper, much scarier growl.

What exactly do I have to do to get that sound?

I noticed that there was an eariler thread about growling, but i can't download anything from there for some reason. any help would be greatly apreciated. \m/

I can't record my growling for you, but I've got loads of tips and stuff. First, a question: What do you do to growl, i.e. use your throat?

anonymousnick2001 said:
I can't record my growling for you, but I've got loads of tips and stuff. First, a question: What do you do to growl, i.e. use your throat?

You know what.. i always thought that I wasn't using my throat all that much.. but I guess must use it to get the sound i'm getting now. Isn't there a way to get it from your gut?

Don't try to copy Mikael's style. You can't grow like him, you're not him. He's able to go so deep because of his anatomy. I don't think any amount of practicing will make you be able to growl like him. If you can growl well NOW (well as in it does'nt hurt, it's from your stomach, and it doesn't take every ounce of effort), then that's YOUR growl and you can't change that.

But if you're not growling from your stomach, if it does hurt and if it does require a lot of effort, you've still got work to do.

illbeleavinnow said:
Don't try to copy Mikael's style. You can't grow like him, you're not him. He's able to go so deep because of his anatomy. I don't think any amount of practicing will make you be able to growl like him. If you can growl well NOW (well as in it does'nt hurt, it's from your stomach, and it doesn't take every ounce of effort), then that's YOUR growl and you can't change that.

But if you're not growling from your stomach, if it does hurt and if it does require a lot of effort, you've still got work to do.

No, it doesn't hurt when I growl... it did when I first started.. but I eventually learned how to not make it hurt.

No way.. I've heard mike growl high, normal and low... and several other people.. there is a way.. oh yes.. she will be mine.

heres my growl, its really short but its really hard to do, and when you have nothing to say its hard to lol

http://sipclan.tripod.com

if the link doesnt work, just copy paste the URL into your browser and hit go

illbeleavinnow said:
Impossible Arch, you can't copy someone's growl. :D You can go high, low, mid, but seein as growling isn't like singing, it's not as if you can gain octaves by practicing. Maybe it does, I don't know, but I highly doubt it.

Hey, I never said I wanted to "Be Like Mike".. get it?.. get it?.. eh.

I just want a deeper growl for me.. all for me, mine!!

I have heard people change the way they growl from higher to lower.. i noticed when i growl just over a whisper it's pretty deep.. but when i use my throat it's higher.

Hm, well I don't know how much help I can be as I'm not a professional. I've always said that growling is a god-given talent, not like singing where you can learn to do things and such through practice. Personally I could growl even as a youngster, and I've always been able to throw my voice from high to low and back again. In any case, to change pitches it really is a matter of controlling your voice box. I can go from glass-cracking high to gut-wrenching and demonic deep in a single breath. Learn to control your vocal cords, experiment with different sounds, pitches and the volume at which you can do so. I began with single-style growling, not very aggressive and not very interesting but as I continued to try it changed entirely but I was also able to change the original style slightly. Honestly my changes actually did come from selfishly challenging Mikael on recordings. Hitting higher notes with more velocity and emotion etc. But don't over work yourself, you may not be able to and that's just how it is. Just practice controlling your voice. Humming would work well I think, then graduate to actually trying growling the different pitches and styles.

[Edit]If you're curious you can check the link at the bottom of my sig to hear some of the shit I've done, however horribly old it is. It shows somewhat of a progression over about 2 months. Also: that clip rules. "yuhreoolooohooo"

6Arch6Enemy6 said:
Very nice!

Well, since you showed me what you sound like.. here's a sample of my band.. we only have a guitarist and me the growler so far. Tell what you think :hotjump::hotjump::hotjump:

http://members.aol.com/draperyfalls1111/setmefree.mp3

I'll record me growling when its not 3 30 in the morning and I have a sleeping girlfriend next to me :D

firstly try losing some of the overall reverb sound.... the way I get my growls is tightening and loosening the muscles in my stomach to accenuate certain tones and strengths. an easy tip is to keep your mic cranked right up and growl quietly - less strain required, a more natural sound. I'll get a sample of me up somewhere when I can.
:)