Mike's growls

Andrew Park

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2008
anyone else notice that on the new songs mikes growls sound slightly more distant.

I'm not saying its bad, but it seems to be more of an atmospheric growl, and less of an in your face growl.

thoughts?

agreed. i really think that his growls are less in your face, and they contribute more to the atmosphere of the new songs

He's getting farther and farther away from the enunciation thing for a more brootal sound. :p
And from what I heard of the new songs, he's using a good bit of reverb. :p

The growling at the end of The Lotus Eater is kind of unusual. But it definitely suits the song. Brutal!

I guess. It does have a very rich sound, so it's not as in-your-face or raw as the previous albums. But that doesn't make it less brutal. :headbang:

The new growling style sucks in comparison to his old method. He sounds like ass and would be better suited for Job for a Cowboy, not Opeth.

Pffff. Mikael would never do anything like JFAC. His growls are still Opeth, just a bit changed. But his clean vox get better for every damn album.

This being based on one song? That's probably how he wanted his voice to work in that track.

Listen to Unblessing the Purity or even the live video of Heir Apparent and it is quite clear that Mike's death vocals are very raw, and very in-your-face.

Yeah on a few songs there's quite a bit of reverb but it still sounds awesome, I think his vocals have improved a lot... both his singing and screaming. One track in particular had me scared a little, haha. His growls sounded evil!

^--- agreed.

Yet, having not heard the entire album (I am *not* getting myself a rip from the net, thanks, I'll wait for official release) I can't rightly say about all the songs, but I think the growls fit very well on those two songs.

I'd not like it if all of the raw growl was removed, though, at least I'd hope it to return either when on tour or on the next album :D