Mike's comment about death growls.

Slynt

Lord and Liar
May 31, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Just read the recent interview linked to elsewhere, where Mikael calls his howling vocals "weak" (the vocals he utilized for most of 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise', and large parts of 'My Arms Your Hearse'). He thinks the deeper death growls are more manly.

The way I see it the earlier vocals are better for several reasons: First, they are a little different than the ordinary death growls - they're filled with desperation, a more intense "mania" if you like, giving the songs a whole different edge. Second, I think the deep death growls on 'Blackwater Park' and 'Deliverance' are cool of course, but it does sound more childish, as someone pointed out when they heard the latter. It's more death metallish, not so original. I don't mind them though, but I'd like a little more of the other variant on the later records.

At any rate, I don't think the earlier vocals are weak at all, just different and strong in their rasping desperation.

In the NAAAAME of desperAAAATION!!!

I don't really like the vocals that much on Orchid and Morningrise compared to MAYH, Still Life, and BWP. Deliverance, to me, is like a throwback to the vocal style of Orchid and Morningrise, so I didn't like the vocals on that album much either.

I really like his "howling" vocals on MAYH though, but the super low gurgling in Demon of the Fall is awesome beyond description. If he would stick to those two styles I'd be ecstatic.

I like them both. The deeper gutteral style vox is cool, it's natural. The higher early-Opeth vox, for me, has an element of fantasy in it. Meaning the vox is something of a representation of an otherworldly being, and not just an exagerrated male facade, or human emotion. Considering Orchid has Opeth's most lyrical, stars and nature type, poetry in it, the vocals fit.

The vocals used on Morningrise were the best, I'm not sure what 'howling' vocals are, but they were easier to understand than the later vocals. Actually his vocals on Katatonia's "brave murder day" and "sounds of decay" were absolutely amazing. He should leave the gutteral vocals to Bloodbath.

Yes I prefer the high screechy growls, much more 'manic' and have a sort of insanity to them that's kind of hard to pin down.

Like someone on the verge of a suicidal nervous breakdown. :D

For me, the best of Mikaels growling vocals where on MAYH. They sound entirely evil.

My faviroute clean vocals are on Still Life...especially Moonlapse Vertigo.

Originally posted by Cutter
For me, the best of Mikaels growling vocals where on MAYH. They sound entirely evil.

My faviroute clean vocals are on Still Life...especially Moonlapse Vertigo.
oh yes:
"Their scooorn behind your back!"
:eek:

I think that death growls being 'easy to understand' is a bad thing. Then again, when they are COMPLETELY farkin unintelligable and gurgley they tend to annoy me.

Its best when they are MOSTLY untelligable, but not overly so...

Bah, you're all wimps! :p

I absolutely prefer his growls on the latter albums, so full of spite and evil sounding, and also so consistent! :headbang:

To these ears, he seems to have 2 types of growl which he utilises these days. The first is the low end growl, the more grunty type one thats typical of death metal.
The second is the throaty screamy growl he does every know and again, usually when trailing off or something (you know, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!).

They destroy :headbang:

They definately have alot more feeling and mania in the earlier albums that's for sure... it's like his voice is giving it all it has. The latter growls are great also, but I think when you just give it all you got it sounds better, and the latter vocals are more standard death metal as he said himself.

I also find it cool how he's able to look through their music and find cons and pros to it... for example he hates the production of the first 2 albums and also the melodies got tiresome to write, but he seems to think the old growls convey alot more mania or whatever.

many singers are just growlers in studio and Mikael is one of them...live his voice is too weak if compared to the studio versions...

real growlers: jean chris (gorefest) and max cavalera (sepultura, soulfly)...i can only remember these two now.

real growlers: jean chris (gorefest) and max cavalera (sepultura, soulfly)...i can only remember these two now.

Wouldnt agree with your saying Mike's growls are weak live. Fucking hell I was floored when he opened his mouth for the first time in The Leper Affinity back in 2001!

Other excellent live growlers are John Vesano (nile), the guy out of Kataklysm, and yer vocalist from Dying Fetus.

Sauron from DECAPITATED is a killer growler.He's not too in your face on the album,just enough to blend well with the music,but at the same time making it perfectly clear that he is there.

he is amazing live too.

Originally posted by threak
Sauron from DECAPITATED is a killer growler.He's not too in your face on the album,just enough to blend well with the music,but at the same time making it perfectly clear that he is there.

yes!