The Grand Conjuration REVIEW (album version)

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
After just listening to the album version from Roadrunner street team webpage and recording it to MP3 for further inspection (the file will not be shared, don't ask) I decided the next step would be to write a review.

At first it is possible to tell this is not the sirius version, there is no short growl at the beggining ("yeah"). It opens the same way, with good quality.... the production is astounding, actually I thought it sounded a bit NMF-ish. The keyboard wanker fades out, and Mike's whispers come in.... sounds great... Then his ungodly GROWL grinds its way in. I love the production on the growls, they sound closer to bloodbath-sounding, and also more similar to Orchid than to any other Opeth CD... I love the Orchid growls. I'm not saying the growls are high in pitch, they're low and sometimes high (as usual) but they have more of a thickness to them than they had on deliverance...

Now the solo, which is beautifully played.. Sounds pretty effortless and mends into the song perfectly.. Fades out on an eerie sounding note! The riffs are definately spectacular. More growls.... I love 'em.. did I mention that yet? Fast double-bass drum in the background, the drums altogether sound pretty technical. Now the keyboard is playing by itself, sort of a more bright-version of the Weakness sound they used on damnation... Now It's back into the song with a high growl from mike with Per's outstanding organ in the background. Mike sounds like he's about to kill someone, then per comes back in with more organ! The bass sounds pretty funky also, definately not something I could play like those easy basslines on Damnation... Opeth has taken their music to the next level, making stuff that is completely different than what they've made before, yet with the same Opeth vibe!

Now Mike is doing his low singing again... It's hard for me to tell what is behind is cause the production is so clear now, but it sort of sounds like drums, bass, and mike whisper-singing... but I keep thinking I hear sort of a keyboard whistle... I don't think there is one though.... I think I brutalized my ears with this track and now I can't hear properly! It sounds like there is guitar now, and the tempo picked up a bit. BOOM In comes guitar and a Mike scream! The song is almost over! It has those awesome keyboard sounds now that it had in the beggining of the song. Opeth appears to be ending the song with the riff they started with, building up the intensity.. Mike's growls are great, did I mention that earlier? Now it's ending on cool keyboard sounds, woot. Song over.

So anyway I give it a perfect score. :)

Great review. Is it actually that symphonic like many said?

And I'm also not up to date. When and Where will the song be available to us?

Cortexon said:
Great review. Is it actually that symphonic like many said?

And I'm also not up to date. When and Where will the song be available to us?
It should be tuesday but I think RR will be slow and it will delayed with a day or two. And because of time zones I may get it tuesday evening at earliest (my local time).

Looking for a Job said:
the "growl at the beginning" wasn't akerfeldt, it was the sirius guy introducing the song
Are you sure? It sounded sort of like a growl to me.....
Well sorry about that anyway. :(

Why the hell does the sound quality change sometimes? In the beginning it's crystal clear, but then after some seconds it changes to a bit worse and sounds more like the sirius rip, but in better quality. And when Mikael starts to growl, it changes back to the beginning quality for some seconds, and then back. :|

The drums sound triggered, like a drum machine.I Don't like the riffing. Opeth could do so much more with the song, as TGC is saterated with keyboards. I real symphony would be nice..I'll wait to Ghost Revelries comes out.

deathbearer said:
The drums sound triggered, like a drum machine.I Don't like the riffing. Opeth could do so much more with the song, as TGC is saterated with keyboards. I real symphony would be nice..I'll wait to Ghost Revelries comes out.

Oh yeah, a real symphony would be a great idea. Let's hire a fucking saxophone player too while we're at it.