The "Mike's Growls" thread?

fimbulwinter666

New Metal Member
Nov 18, 2006
I've spent months surfing the internet reading all I could about extreme vocals. After seeing thread after thread on growling/screaming, I think it's pretty obvious that Mikael Akerfeldt has one of the most, if not THE most, respected, unique, and "asked-about" vocal styles in metal.

So I wondered, "would it really hurt anything if there was a thread dealing SPECIFICALLY with Mike's extreme vocals?". I don't want the thread to just be about all the noobs out there who are hellbent on imitating his voice. Rather, I think that there are more myths and rumors out there surrounding Mikael's voice than anybody else's, and maybe there could be a specific place out here in cyberspace to dispel myths and discuss facts.

Thoughts?

Which explains all the misheard lyrics.

What impresses me most is his ability to switch back and forth. And the fact that his death growls are sooooo heavy and his clean vocals are sooooo smooth.
It gives me a hÅrd-on. :)

i find it amazing he pulls off those growls live. alot of singers that scream cup the mic and such. Mike for obvious reasons CANT do it. so its all him.

What impresses me most is his ability to switch back and forth. And the fact that his death growls are sooooo heavy and his clean vocals are sooooo smooth.

+1

I was never a huge fan of the death growls... the first Opeth album I bought was Deliverance, and was completely on a whim. I listened to it and I didn't like it at ALL. Over time, my tastes began to change and evolve, and I began to like some Opeth stuff... then I remembered I had Deliverance, gave it another spin and loved it. And, as has been stated, the ability to sound SO good in both "heavy" and "light" mode... awe inspiring, tbh.

I agree 100%! There is actually a third style he uses as well, the higher-pitched "shriek" vocal that he also does better than just about anybody...you can understand most of the "shrieks" just as well as the rest of the vocals. His vox ability is in a league of it's own. IMHO, Paul Kuhr may come the closest to matching Mike's vox ability, clarity, diversity, etc, but Mike has him beat in the clean vocals, so...

Well it seems alot of you don't have much exposure to the world of growls. Doing death growls isn't what you think it's like. It's not like you are screaming your balls off on the verge of losing your voice. The proper technique makes it extremely easy on your throat. The only challenging parts to this is learning how to do it properly and working with your breathing.

Anyone who's been growling for a while using proper techniques can easily switch from growls to clean vocals. I do it all the time. There isn't a need for "recovery" time for your throat or anything. Just comes with a bit of practice.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Mike's growls are amazing, and this is coming from someone who can growl.

The most impressive thing about mike is that his clean vocals are equally impressive, and both of his vocal styles ALWAYS fit the music, lyrics, and story. Then again opeth is dead. rofl

Which explains all the misheard lyrics.

It gives me a hÅrd-on. :)

Me too:p 100% agree, both growl and voice are amazing.

i find it amazing he pulls off those growls live. alot of singers that scream cup the mic and such. Mike for obvious reasons CANT do it. so its all him.

I'm pretty sure cupping the mic is not a good thing?

What IS the right technique? Ever since I was introduced to it I've always wanted to learn and last time I tried I fucked up my voice and couldn't go to work for a few days, which was fun:-D.

I agree, Mike def has the greatest growl imo. King Richard is right about the tecnique, if you do it right it doesnt really kill your throat at all, this is what I work at when I growl, and striving for the tecnique definately makes it sound good. Mikael obviously does it right lol. For tips on growling, I suggest reading the How to Properly Growl thread in the Bloodbath forums. Theres a video of me growling, as well as other peoples growls in there somewhere if you decide to check it out.

Hello all, my first post here :p

I read somewhere on the net that Mikael uses some kind of instruments (vocal pedals?) to manipulate his voice to come out like those "great" vocals.

Is anyone out there knowing this issue? Are we hearing his pure voice or manipulated version?

Thanks in advance!

Are you serious? That's retarded lol.

Anywho anyone who wants to use harsh vocals should check out The Zen of Screaming by Melissa Cross. I think the dvd is out of print but you could probably find it somewhere, or "acquire" it off the internet. Some of the stuff on there can get kinda annoying but it works, and you get to see Randy Blythe do vocal training that makes him look really stupid lol.

No, that stuff will make your teeth rot but it won't help your vocals any.

What about all the people who claim that Mike is actually doing all his growls really quietly?

I personally don't think they sound that way, but a lot of people say it.

I heard that Mikael kills kittens during the growl vocal sessions in the studio so the Devil in him can express itself better.

Is that true ?