Mike's comment about death growls.

Originally posted by insidethefall
He should leave the gutteral vocals to Bloodbath.

His vox on w/ Bloodbath, specifically 'Resurrection..', are supreme. Those are the best death vox I've ever heard. They are just painful to listen to. I wouldn't mind him abandoning the death vox for all clean in Opeth since I prefer his clean voice any day. Or maybe a project, with Swano or Steven Wilson, where he sings nothing but clean. That would be fantastic.

The earlier vocals are more "airy" compared to the later growls.
I believe the change has also just been growth in his voice.
We'll get a break from all of this when Damnation comes out.

Sauron from DECAPITATED is a killer growler.He's not too in your face on the album,just enough to blend well with the music,but at the same time making it perfectly clear that he is there.

Well I wouldnt call him a killer growler, he's pretty competent. But he has such a linear way of doing it, he never seems to put even a slight bit of variation into it, it's really rigid. A blood-curdling scream ever now and then would go down well in a Decapitated song I feel!
He should take a few pointers from Lord Worm (former Cryptopsy vocalist. If you like death metal, buy None So Vile immediately!), now that's a growler/screamer and a half!

Originally posted by Ectoplasma
many singers are just growlers in studio and Mikael is one of them...live his voice is too weak if compared to the studio versions...

real growlers: jean chris (gorefest) and max cavalera (sepultura, soulfly)...i can only remember these two now.

Cavalera? He sucks and he gave himself a stomach ulcer by trying too hard. I say, whose the better musician? Hmmmm?

Anyway, dissecting opeths style defeats the point. Apart from Damnation the focus has always been pluralised. :)

Coldplay.jpg

I hate Coldplay :p

Interesting observations on the deeper aspects of what Mike's different growl deliveries might convey to the listener, but I think as he said himself, it's a lot more simple than that. When they started, he thought he wanted it to be more of a black metal sounding band, so he was trying to do screechy vocals. And as time went by, he decided he wanted to make it more deathy, so he lowered the growls and obviously they just sound better. So he stuck with 'em.

My $2: The old screech style is cool, though I don't care for the reverb. His clean voice didn't take full form until MAMH & keeps getting better. Really low growls are my least favorite; no matter who does them, they tend to sound (to my ears) absurd, forced, "cookie monsterish" as they say. My fave is when he screams in the mid to high range. Overall, he's one of my favorite metal vocalists, by far. Any versatile singer like Mikael will have moments which don't appeal to some listeners, because he's, well versatile & varied.

You know, I must be one of the luckiest fuckers here because not once have I ever had a single complaint about any aspect of Opeth. Nothing about them rubs me the wrong way. I guess I'll stop taking that for granted.

Personally, I feel his growling performance is *slightly* weaker on Deliverance than on MAYH, Still Life and BWP. Its lost a little bit of its edge, its not quite as massive. However, speaking in terms of the whole metal scene, his growls are still WAY up there.

It's just a question of how he let's the air out...I dunno if anyone has tried to do the "death-growl". It's all in the throat and the diafragma(whatever u call it....the muscle below your lungs) but also in the mouth...if u close it...it'll do the grunty one, if you open it and let some of your mucus gurgle in the throath it'll do the other one..personally I like to mix both when I'm (trying to) sing(ing). As a listener I don't give a shit...Mikael's growls own ass either they're high or low pitched..so keep it up..I don't see any fault in your growls...nor from the elder stuff or the new stuff(I'll have to confess I just went crazy with that 16 second scream on black rose immortal...but I also went crazy with the gutural, low pitched "THE SUN SETS FOREVER OVER BLACKWATER PARRRRK!"). Either way...just do as u wish...It suits me either way...

\m/

PS: Oh! And the growls don't fail live...no freaking way...in fact...I just wen't to see them guys here at the Paradise Garage in Lisbon and I was floored when he started singing "WE ENTERED WINTER ONCE AGAIN. NAKED, FREEZING FROM MY BREATH"...well.. I was already floored with the instruments...but that's a whole other story. As for the clear voice it faultered just a little here and there...but nothing too serious...I've tried to sing some stuff from Blackwater Park and my throat got dry...I almost died coughing.... :lol:

PS2: Has anyone forgotten Chuck Schuldiner, Jeffrey Walker or even Angela Gossow? I only hear Cavalera here and there...Cavalera is a choir boy compared to those 3...that's my oppinion(With all due respect to Mr. Maximiliano Cavalera)

also, probably the reason mikael's a little off pitch clean singing sometimes live, is, i'll betcha, the monitor mix, or simply the loud volume. Because when you can't hear yourself correctly you automatically overcompensate and sing sharp. And I have a hard time believing anyone as musical as Mikael would normally have a problem singing on key.