The three growl-tracks on WS

^ The same could be said about clean vocals in an opposite situation.

I'm usually a strong advocate on majority of cleans with fewer harsh vocals because they're a dominant form, which means greater impact. However I do think Mikes Growls are second to none, and for the majority of the cds where he shined vocally, but with each cd he has improved on his cleans, and with Watershed has really started to match his harsh vox. With songs like Bridge of Sighs you can really hear his range as he's trying new clean vox techniques, and for the next record I hope he really lets it all out.

I agree. Mikael sounds even more ferocious on Heir Apparent after the beautiful vocals on Coil.

That transition is definitely the peak of the album imo.

Although Heir Apparent, and Hessian Peel are easily my two favorite tracks off the cd I'd say the growls have greater impact when used sparingly as they are.

That's a very good point. Maybe that's why I appreciate those three songs so much. Because the others make them outstanding, "growlwise"?

Works for me :kickass:

I'm usually a strong advocate on majority of cleans with fewer harsh vocals because they're a dominant form, which means greater impact. However I do think Mikes Growls are second to none, and for the majority of the cds where he shined vocally, but with each cd he has improved on his cleans, and with Watershed has really started to match his harsh vox. With songs like Bridge of Sighs you can really hear his range as he's trying new clean vox techniques, and for the next record I hope he really lets it all out.

That is something I have noticed also and have stated in another thread. He is definitely a vocalist with clean vocals that get better and better with each successive CD. You dont even need to venture all the way back to Orchid to compare (which obviously has rougher cleans due to his youth), but one can compare Deliverance and WS and hear a very noticeable difference. I wonder if he hired a voice coach? Thats what kind of bothered me about In Flames...I loved the music but found Anders voice to get much worse right after Whoracle, but in his defence I thought I read somewhere that he blew out his vocal chords real bad once and just never got his voice back. Shame.

Yes, very powerful :kickass:.

That is something I have noticed also and have stated in another thread. He is definitely a vocalist with clean vocals that get better and better with each successive CD. You dont even need to venture all the way back to Orchid to compare (which obviously has rougher cleans due to his youth), but one can compare Deliverance and GR and hear a very noticeable difference with even some Falseto (however it's spelled, Windows Vista sux for spell check!!). I wonder if he hired a voice coach?
Vocal issues is what kind of turned me off to "In Flames" I loved the music but found Anders' voice to get much worse right after Whoracle, but in his defence I thought I read somewhere that he blew out his vocal chords real bad once and just never got his voice back. Shame.

I guess when I listen I find Heir Apparent to be the closest thing to actual death metal that they've written yet? I know most refer to them as Death Metal but IMO "Progressive Metal" is what they seem to fit into and I think most agree. I think Heir Apparent could be the most brutal song they have. Hex is good too, love that song in its simplicity, very easy to listen to but I keep waiting for the growls that don't happen (just like on Porcelin Heart) :lol:

I agree that "Heir Apparent" is Opeth's heaviest on Watershed, perhaps ever; what I meant is that of all WS' songs incorporating death vocals (which I loosely referred to as 'death metal', in apostrophes for a reason), "The Lotus Eater" is the only one I find better than "Burden" and "Hex Omega". Right now, my top three on WS are those in this order: TLE, Hex, "Burden".

I can definitely relate to having anticipated growls on parts of WS, but only during "Porcelain Heart"; I've always thought Hex is perfect without them-- the song evokes in me a sense of bewildered sorrow (at the demise of a relationship, so suggested by its lyrics) devoid of 'growl-worthy' aggression, almost acceptant of current and increasing bereavement.

Regarding the prevalence of compliments on Mike's ostensibly ever-improving clean vocals, I'll say that while I've always loved his voice and think it continues to increase in skill, it seems no one has considered the role Pro Tools no doubt played in producing pitch-'perfection' on multiple Opeth albums. I'm fairly certain that starting on Blackwater Park if not earlier, Åkerfeldt's clean singing has been digitally corrected; I -know- it has been since Deliverance based on Lamentations studio footage of Mike and Steven Wilson recording vocals, hence my notion that SW would have done the same on BWP though parts of it sound pretty raw (e.g., beginning of "Dirge for November"). Did anyone really think Mike can consistently hit pitches like on "Ghost of Perdition", "Isolation Years", etc.? Remember, he even had a doctor prescribe him vocal steroids before the Roundhouse Tapes gig, another performance fueling excessive praise of a nonetheless great and improving voice.

I disagree. I think the "growl-less" tracks are on par with the others, with the exception of porcelain heart. I really think there is a near perfect balance of beauty and brutality on Watershed, and the clean-death vocal ratio is part of that.

Agreed. It's really just Porcelain Heart that I don't particularly like on Watershed. I think the clean/growl balance is fine especially as it's clear that Mike has grown in confidence with his clean vocals. We all know how well he can do the growl stuff and in the past I've thought I'd like to hear more clean singing 'cos he really had the potential. Next, I'd like to hear him develop his "in between" rock kind of voice..

All 3 growl tracks are clearly the standouts on WS. However I think they have the perfect balance of growl/clean vocals on the album. The others are still right up there.