The three growl-tracks on WS

Ninfix

Gamer of life
Nov 30, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I realized some time ago that there's only three tracks on Watershed with growl-vocals on them. Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel. Of these, Heir Apparent consists of only growl-vocals.

When I think about it, the other four songs aren't half as good as those with growls on. I'm not saying clean is bad, I just say that the big picture of the musical approach in the three "growl-tracks" are much better, in my oppinion, than the other four.

What do you think about this? Do you think Opeth will continue to make tunes with less growls on them? Considdering that Ghost Reveries had 5 of 7 with growls, this was the only let-down for me on Watershed, and in my ears, HA, TLE and HP are the three best tracks on Watershed.

I disagree. I think the "growl-less" tracks are on par with the others, with the exception of porcelain heart. I really think there is a near perfect balance of beauty and brutality on Watershed, and the clean-death vocal ratio is part of that.

Indeed, I found interesting soon after WS' release that it's Opeth's only album with death vocals not to have them on the majority of tracks. However I don't find this disappointing, even with "The Lotus Eater" being in my opinion the record's only 'death metal' song better than "Burden" and "Hex Omega".

Additionally, I think "Hex Omega" grossly underrated; its opening riff is great, the transition to eerie keys with mystic vocals incredible, and the repeated closing riff staggering. While it's a relatively simple Opeth song structurally, its tone, cohesion, and placement make it seem to me a huge progression for Opeth-- even stylistically unprecedented.

I would say that growling and screaming do not make a great tune, so I would have to say that I really enjoy the clean 'sung' tracks just as much as the growling ones. If they continue to write songs with clean singing I wouldn't object.

I still want to see an all acoustic album a la' 'Benighted', 'Still Day Beneath The Sun' and 'Patterns in the Ivy II".

For all we know Opeth's next album will be all death vox and no clean singing :rofl: (Please have clean singing, please have clean singing..) Anyways I think it's highly possible the next few records will have less death vocals than normal. Progression, progression, progression!

For all we know Opeth's next album will be all death vox and no clean singing :rofl: (Please have clean singing, please have clean singing..) Anyways I think it's highly possible the next few records will have less death vocals than normal. Progression, progression, progression!

it wouldnt suprise me if their next record had no clean singing, but i doubt very very highly that that would happen. mikael's clean vocals have gotten so good and beatiful that it'd be silly of him to not utilize that talent.

i think splitting it up 50/50 would be fair for the next record.

It'd be cool if Mike and Steven finally found the time to do something together outside of their main bands. Maybe one of these years.