mike's vocal technique

Originally posted by shivering corpse
I can growl only when my throat has mucus in it.
In fact, I've learned it is impossible to growl well unless I have mucus in my throat, sounds good actually.
I wonder if Mike utilizes the mucus technique, probably not, in fact I'm sure he doesn't, but I should develop this technique.
Possibly save mucus by spitting into cups, and sipping on it before a show.

Actually, Mike had a bad cold during the vocal recording sessions of MAYH. You can actually notice a coarser, thicker tone on this album if you listen closely...sounds damn fine actually. I think MAYH has some of Mikes best growls.

'The portrait of the jaded dawn who had seen it all bEFORRRRRERRRRRR!'

Actually I recall Mike saying something about a "compression" technique that he uses with his throat. I guess he builds a lot of pressure right below his vocal chords and then releases as he growls, I mean if you think about it it makes a lot of sense and it does work.

You will most diffinitly destroy your voice if you attempt to growl as you would when singing. In other words using your vocal chords specifically to distort your voice.

You must compress and push the pressure right underneath your vocal chords and then lock it there, like I mentioned then gradually release and convert that into a growl.

I think the way you sound recorded is different than how you hear yourself...when I recorded that little piece of "Drapery Falls" for my webpage, I figured the death vox part I did would be okay, if not laughable....but it turned out really good (I think anyway, for a $9 dollar mic), or at least way better than I thought. I've been practicing my death vox ever since I started listening to Cannibal Corpse about 3 years ago, so it doesn't really ache my throat, especially if I warm it up.

Now the singing bit was a little harder because I have a horrible singing voice. I am cursed with knowing how my voice should sound when I sing but am uncapable of actually making it sound in pitch (at least not without trying really, really hard...I should get some lessons or something...)

The "ahhhahhh" part consists of three overdubs all reverbed differently and panned across the whole spectrum (extreme left, middle, extreme right). It sounds okay until you take out one of the tracks....

I wonder how much Mike doubles up his voice. Opeth's vocal production is so good that it's really hard to tell.

In case any of you actually read this and wonder what the hell I'm babbling about, click on my webpage in the signature and look for the "drapery falls" link.

Originally posted by Mr. Niel

In case any of you actually read this and wonder what the hell I'm babbling about, click on my webpage in the signature and look for the "drapery falls" link.

Just heard your piece Mr. Niel. Nice. Did you play all the instruments yourself? The growl passage was great, seemed pretty authentic.

Some extra discussion on Mikael's vocals would be appreciated. Does he use inhaled vocals (instead of the usual exhaled technique) anywhere, or any other various details. Mike, we would like input from you too