mike's best vocal performance

Hedon-

vic firth 2b
Apr 24, 2008
mike's always amazing but i noticed he got alot better in time, especially his clean vocals. i think he became truly amazing somewhere around still life. my favorite appearance of him DEATHVOCALWISE is on bloodbath's unblessing the purity.. damn he could make satan shit his pants there:zombie:
opinions?
and just curiosity.. other vocalists you find worth mentioning? mikael stanne kills for melodic death, peter's growl (nmf) destroys but the scream he usually uses is pretty black metal fitting and weird imo.
for non "extreme metal" :)cool:) vocalists, warrel dane owns - just bought praises to the war machine, its pretty good like nevermore but more melodic and catchy, and matt barlow destroys (hope he still does). cant think of anything right now as i listen to almost no clean vocals bands atm which is really not good but whatever

Singers: Mikael Åkerfeldt, Jonas Renkse, Steven Wilson.

Growlers: Mikael Åkerfeldt, Jonas Renkse, Dan Swanö, Paul Khur.

Best performance of Åkerfeldt: Watershed or/and Unblessing The Purity

Singers: Mikael Åkerfeldt, Jonas Renkse, Steven Wilson.

Growlers: Mikael Åkerfeldt, Jonas Renkse, Dan Swanö, Paul Khur.

Best performance of Åkerfeldt: Watershed or/and Unblessing The Purity

His best performances in my opinon.

Growls : Bloodbath - Unblessing The Purity
Clean : Opeth - Watershed

mike's always amazing but i noticed he got alot better in time, especially his clean vocals. i think he became truly amazing somewhere around still life. my favorite appearance of him DEATHVOCALWISE is on bloodbath's unblessing the purity.. damn he could make satan shit his pants there:zombie:
opinions?
and just curiosity.. other vocalists you find worth mentioning? mikael stanne kills for melodic death, peter's growl (nmf) destroys but the scream he usually uses is pretty black metal fitting and weird imo.
for non "extreme metal" :)cool:) vocalists, warrel dane owns - just bought praises to the war machine, its pretty good like nevermore but more melodic and catchy, and matt barlow destroys (hope he still does). cant think of anything right now as i listen to almost no clean vocals bands atm which is really not good but whatever

After seeing Barlow for the first time when he returned at Powerfest last week, I'd have to say he is easily my favorite vocalist right now. Mike is right up there with him though.

Favourite clean vocalists: Garm, Mike, Steven Wilson, Jonas Renkse and John Haughm.

Favourite growlers: Mike, Paul Kuhr, Peter Tätgren and John Haughm (on Ashes Against the Grain, he's not as good on the older albums, even though he's amazing there aswell, just not top 4-good)

I think Mike's best growl is on Unblessing the Purity, and his clean vocals seems like they are awesome on watershed.

Favourite clean vocalists: Garm, Mike, Steven Wilson, Jonas Renkse and John Haughm.

Favourite growlers: Mike, Paul Kuhr, Peter Tätgren and John Haughm (on Ashes Against the Grain, he's not as good on the older albums, even though he's amazing there aswell, just not top 4-good)

I think Mike's best growl is on Unblessing the Purity, and his clean vocals seems like they are awesome on watershed.

renkse is annoying, i heard live version of deliberation and it seems he's trying to sound as gay as he can

Mike's best clean vocals imo are on GR, especially Hours of Wealth and Harlequin Forest. (Note: I haven't heard Watershed yet.) Growls are most varied on GR, but the meanest growls are on Unblessing the purity.

other great vocalists: mike patton, bruce dickinson, eric adams, björk, alison goldfrapp, holly cole, jay jay johanson, jeff buckley, jon oliva, joss stone,

Warrel Dane is also good. And I liked Matt Barlow on first listen, but quickly grew tired. He's overdoing it. Tim Aymar is better.

Then again, Pavarotti pwns them all.

Steven Wilson is no vocalist...

... Mike Patton, Jeff Buckley, Daniel Gildenlow, Freddie Mercury, Stevie Wonder, Beth Gibbons, Mikael would be my favourites off the top of my head.

Death vocal wise, I maintain that his best work was on Katatonia's 'Brave Murder Day'. If you can listen to Endtime and not shit your pants, I will pay for your euthanasia.

But as for some of my favourite vocalists, dirty, clean or both:

Paul Kuhr (Novembers Doom)
John Haughm (Agalloch)
David Gold (Woods of Ypres)
Mikael
Varg Vikernes (Burzum)
Dan Swano

Ok for Death Vocals:
Mike with Bloodbath on "Weak Aside" (jesus!)
Tomi Joutsen of Amorphis on "A Servant"
Nergal of Behemoth on "Conquer All" (I don't fucking care if it's layered he sounds like a luciferian sinspawn)

Cleans:
Anything from Mercenary off of Architecht of Lies
Mike on "Benighted"
Dan Swano on Crimson II album

Clean - "Some song I've never heard yet off of a record that's not yet been released"
Growl - "Heir Apparent" from what I can tell on the melloboat bootleg video

And I always getting goosebumps in "You worthless fool" line from Ayreon's album.

.....my favourites are Robert Plant, Ronnie Dio, Rob Halford, Ian Gillan, Otis Redding, Mark Lanegan, Arethra Franklin, Glenn Hughes, Ray Gillen and of course Mike!..my overall favourite growl and clean singing from Mike is "Masters Apprentices"