mike's best vocal performance

Rob Halford and Kind Diamond. There has never been anyone better as regards pure natural talent. Gotta throw Geddy Lee and Robert Plant in there too for non-metal.

Meh. I was getting sick of the death growls. Too much of a gimmick. They're not a DM band.

Which makes the performance on the new album intriguing. Because it fits the more cohesive new sound.

Steven Wilson is shit, he's lucky he can fix his horrible singing with computer processing.

Best Growler is Mike or fucking Jorgen Sandstrom

Clean - "Some song I've never heard yet off of a record that's not yet been released"
Growl - "Heir Apparent" from what I can tell on the melloboat bootleg video

And I always getting goosebumps in "You worthless fool" line from Ayreon's album.

Woohaa!!! Samsara, I love you! Mofo, I laughed so much at this!!! Okay, sorry for mentioning "some-stuff-which-name-is-pretty-similar-to-the-title-of-second-song-from-the-fifth-Opeth-album".

Clean - "Hours of Wealth"
Growl - "The Grand Conjuration"

I was unimpressed by matt barlows performance on the framing armageddon songs they redid with his vocals.

He was amazing on the albums he did, but it sounded like he was trying too hard, maybe its because I already like the album to begin with and it was different from what I was used to.

I think Mikael Åkerfeldt's clean vocals have become too good :) It feels almost a bit show-offy at times. In songs like "Isolation Years" and "Hours of Wealth" I feel his increased skills make the songs sort of more distanced from the dark mystique of earlier Opeth ballads. Meh anyway.

Favorite growlers: Mikael Åkerfeldt is fucking awesome, he is the best, but I also love the gurgling sounds of most other death metal vocalists, I love the growling on Edge Of Sanity's "Purgatory Afterglow" and "The Spectral Sorrows", also Nile, Behemoth , David Vincent growls cooly.

For Mike's clean vocals, I've always been partial to
"Lost are days of Spring
You sighted and let me in
Keep the beast inside
Shackled within my hide
Screaming out too late
Losing to my hate
Grew together with your skin
And paced the trails of sin"

plus...

"Leave it be
It was meant for me
Soul sacrifice
Forgot the advice
Lost track of time
In a flurry of smoke
Waiting anxiety
For a fair judgement deserved"

The clean vocals on Porcelain Heart are fantastic as well.

For growls, his performance on Still Life and GR, I feel, are his best work. The one entire song that is his best overall vocal effort is Master's Apprentices.

For Mike's clean vocals, I've always been partial to
"Lost are days of Spring
You sighted and let me in
Keep the beast inside
Shackled within my hide
Screaming out too late
Losing to my hate
Grew together with your skin
And paced the trails of sin"

plus...

"Leave it be
It was meant for me
Soul sacrifice
Forgot the advice
Lost track of time
In a flurry of smoke
Waiting anxiety
For a fair judgement deserved"

The clean vocals on Porcelain Heart are fantastic as well.

For growls, his performance on Still Life and GR, I feel, are his best work. The one entire song that is his best overall vocal effort is Master's Apprentices.

i think this part from fair judgement is one of the most beautiful clean sections ever:zombie:

Of all the growlers I've heard, none come close to Mikael - his growls are truly the best the genre has to offer (the death metal part, at least; Opeth are in a genre of their own). I agree with what some have said already, his clean vocals have progressed very far and I would say his best performance is on Hours of Wealth. Having said that, I do really like his clean vocals from older Opeth releases - they're far more haunting and mysterious.

Of all the growlers I've heard, none come close to Mikael - his growls are truly the best the genre has to offer (the death metal part, at least; Opeth are in a genre of their own). I agree with what some have said already, his clean vocals have progressed very far and I would say his best performance is on Hours of Wealth. Having said that, I do really like his clean vocals from older Opeth releases - they're far more haunting and mysterious.

QFT.

"When can I take you from this place?
When is the word but a sigh?
When is death our lone beholder?
When do we walk the final steps?
When can we scream instead of whisper?

When is the new beginning,
the end of this sad madrigal?"

:worship:notworthy:worship:

Last night I listened to the whole Human Equation and my god Åkerfeldt does a great job. Maybe it's the recording process. But yeah!