Growls: How far could one go?

nat0

Sep 6, 2008
Mikael Akerfeldt has already demonstrated his ability to alternate pitch regulary when he growls. For Death Metal, the norm is to harmonize the growls with the guitars. This sounds brutal when done correctly, but how far could you take growl vocals? Instead of growling the same note and alternating pitch occasionally, imagine if one could sing melodies with growl vocals. This would eliminate the monotonous element of death metal. Its already been done with related vocal styles in other metal genres, but I can't name a band that has melodic death metal vocals.

i always thought akerfeldt, schuldiner and aaron stainthorpe from my dying bride managed to put some kind of pitch/melody/texture/feeling to their death vox... unlike other death metal vocalists who seem to grunt the same monotonous thing throughout the song.

yes that is because they alternate pitch but there is never an identifiable melody

they don't really alter pitch... not really. obviously there are pitches that make up the sound but that's not really related to what you're talking about. If you know the death cover of painkiller, that's about the best thing there is. mikael or any other death metal vocalist isn't adjusting the pitch per se, just tightening his throat to reach different levels that are sounds.

that description is a little vague, but think of this. from just death metal vocals, there is no identifiable tonal pitch. there just isn't. if mikael growls something without changing any level, you can't say "that's an F#" because it isn't. instead, as it is more of a noise and not a straight forward pitch (all tembre, no melody), there are lots of small pitches going on (very small) and they change generally in some direction to make it generally a higher sound, but still not creating a definite pitch.

painkiller chuck schulinder or some children of bodom is about the closest it gets, and you can tell the pitches they're singing. it's kind of like adding distortion to guitars, if you do absolutely ridiculous amounts, the played pitch will be pretty much unidentifiable, but with death vocals, there was never really a pitch to begin with (assuming you're not 'turning down the distortion' and trying to make pitch audible like in said examples).

they don't really alter pitch... not really. obviously there are pitches that make up the sound but that's not really related to what you're talking about. If you know the death cover of painkiller, that's about the best thing there is. mikael or any other death metal vocalist isn't adjusting the pitch per se, just tightening his throat to reach different levels that are sounds.

that description is a little vague, but think of this. from just death metal vocals, there is no identifiable tonal pitch. there just isn't. if mikael growls something without changing any level, you can't say "that's an F#" because it isn't. instead, as it is more of a noise and not a straight forward pitch (all tembre, no melody), there are lots of small pitches going on (very small) and they change generally in some direction to make it generally a higher sound, but still not creating a definite pitch.

painkiller chuck schulinder or some children of bodom is about the closest it gets, and you can tell the pitches they're singing. it's kind of like adding distortion to guitars, if you do absolutely ridiculous amounts, the played pitch will be pretty much unidentifiable, but with death vocals, there was never really a pitch to begin with (assuming you're not 'turning down the distortion' and trying to make pitch audible like in said examples).

Cool! Thanks for explaining things! Link me to some information on this?

The thing about growling, screaming, and brutality in general (especially in metal) is that it's meant to portray either a sense of extreme anger, sadness, fear, melancholy, darkness etc etc. For the most part, I think these emotions are best portrayed atonally. When Akerfeldt growls "The omen showed... Took me awayyyyyy" I don't want to hear a fucking melody. The guitars combined with the vocals create an entity of dissonance, atonality, disharmony, and desperation. This sound OBVIOUSLY is for very few people (who have fucking great taste in music and art in general, and appreciate the more subtle, emotive aspects of music) and won't ever be mainstream.

This would eliminate the monotonous element of death metal.

I agree that a shitload of fucking death metal is monotonous, but sometimes that's the point. Brave Murder Day for example. And what fucking makes Opeth the best band on the planet is their combination of melody and atonality. Why do you think they use so many ugly chords? The growls and screams are obviously meant to sound the way they sound. I don' think that should change in death/doom/black/melodic extreme metal

When talking about musical extremes I personally think that the "metal" part of Opeth doesn't require vocal melodies whereas the "prog" part does. There's a nice difference between these two musical ends as it is now.

Might be an interesting concept to experiment with. Im going to trying having my singer do a very high pitched scream, while I lay out a very low guttural. Experiment lightly with how closely I can put a tonality to the growl while maintaining the perfect balance of distortion.

I've never heard anyone do what chuck did in painkiller the same way. I wonder if they did vocal editing...

But 3 inches of blood actually has two vocals, one that does falsetto and one that does high screams. But high controlled pitch screams like Chuck. And how the fuck did he put vibrato on that shit? It's an amazing vocal performance.

Well, as Melpond said, I find that my growls really don't seem to have a "pitch", so melody is very hard for me to achieve.

However, when I attempt to imitate Tom Waits' voice, I find myself using the exact technique I use for Death Metal growling, but I mix in some clean singing with it. I imagine this is how Waits himself sings. This allows me to introduce plenty of melody, though that voice really wouldn't work with Death Metal.

Like Melpond, I understand this to be quite vague, but explaining growls is quite difficult if the person you're explaining to has no idea how it works.

Gojira's Joe Duplantier has a kind of melodic semi-growl/scream that gives his performances a very emotional feel to them. Not to be confused with his deep growls (which are monotone) and his clean vocals.