Kittie and Howling Monkeys

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
You would be surprised; there are many female growlers out there. Funny you mention Kittie; they are making an appearance next week at a record store here in Chicago. Maybe I'll tell them they are of interest in the Opeth forum.

I'm not a Kittie fan or anything, but I do appreciate good growling when I hear it, even if I don't like it enough to run out an buy the album.

I'm curious about how good she is at doing growling live. I have a feeling she'll be horrible (like most harsh metal singers), but she sure sounds cool with a studio behind her.

If you met her tell her I think she's a great growler, and let us know if she can do it good live, cuz that is the ultimate test of true talent.

rock on buddy,

Satori

I think it's rather sad that some of you can't appreciate someone's vocal merely because you attach this lame "nu-metal" label to it. What is this, high school?

I dont appreciate her voice cause of its style...More than growls its desperate kinda voice, most of the stuff numetal band uses. She growls but not all growls she still has the style johnatan davis made famous and profitable back in 1993/94...And for Desperation vocals i enjoy much more Deathcore bands from europe, mainly Deformity ( check their fist mcd its some of the most alien voices ever, so desperate, so weird, yet so appealing ) Congress to some degree, early Drowning, Kickback and the list goes on like that on de deathcore/metalcore scene.
I like those vocals more nothing personal about kittie...

Originally posted by OctoberVision
The girl who growls for Arch Enemy now rocks my ass.

Shit!!! I checked out Archs Enemy's latest release
and the chick rocks!!!! She sounds scary! Hehe...
She's even better than the Opera IX vocalist!
Lovely! I'm in love, with a girl!! Ooopsi! >:eek:P
Hum, more like in love with the growling!

But really, this chick can get extremly deep with
her growling, she sounds like a guy!

(oh, and welcome to post number 200 by; ME!!!!) >:eek:)

i skipped a great deal of this thread because im in a hurry and id like to say --- i heard a new song from kittie.... the song is not nu metal at all... the drumming is great... the vocals are NOT NU METAL they are good screaming vocals.... and the guitar riffs are kind of classic death metal style... its not nu metal... but thats only one song... but just proving a point

Originally posted by Mikael is God
i skipped a great deal of this thread because im in a hurry and id like to say --- i heard a new song from kittie.... the song is not nu metal at all... the drumming is great... the vocals are NOT NU METAL they are good screaming vocals.... and the guitar riffs are kind of classic death metal style... its not nu metal... but thats only one song... but just proving a point

I'm not really a part of this whole metal scene thing so I don't even know what nu-metal is. I assumed it was something like linken park or something (ie. commercial rock-metal), but the new kittie tune didn't stike me that way at all.

What I really like about certain growls is that they have the high hissy/shrill scream to them at the same time and whenever I hear anyone do this growl/scream combo well I go absolutely nuts. I even got a hard-on when I heard the howler monkey scream on the tv. It's definitely my favourite vocal style to date.

I think Mikael should experiment with different singers and I think a female growler would be just insane. I also think it would cool if he got a really soft/sweet female voice to do something on the next album too, I'm a big fan of different textures and clashing styles, and I think Mikael is just the guy to pull this off with whacked and proggy finese.

Prog! Prog! Prog! Prog! Prog! Prog! Prog! Prog!

Satori

I'm a big fan of different textures and clashing styles, and I think Mikael is just the guy to pull this off with whacked and proggy finese. Ya DAMN skippy! The one and only.

After all it was Slipknot that got me into metal, so...Sorry guys! Slipknot? You too? Hey...as long as you figure out what YOU like it doesn't matter. I don't like them so much, but I owe them thanks for opening a major door for me. I heard about Kittie from the same kid. Their release...um, what was it called? Choke? I heard a few off that at a pub. She definitely has a set of lungs on her!

I didn't like it. Why? The vocals, believe it or not, didn't have the satisfactory power in them...BUT THEY WERE VERY POWERFUL don't get me wrong. I didn't think the music was very original sounding neither. They have a new album out? Maybe something has changed since what I've heard...but I was not impressed with the band overall when I first heard it. The girl could scream/growl...that's all.

Nice monkey. ;)

Originally posted by Opet
I didn't like it. Why? The vocals, believe it or not, didn't have the satisfactory power in them...BUT THEY WERE VERY POWERFUL don't get me wrong. I didn't think the music was very original sounding neither. They have a new album out? Maybe something has changed since what I've heard...but I was not impressed with the band overall when I first heard it. The girl could scream/growl...that's all.

I was talking about the new song in their new video and only this song. If you ever hear this tune I think it'll definitely change your mind about this chick's vocal talents, she does the scream-growl for almost the whole song and it sounds awesome.

I also recall hearing their old song Choke about a year ago, and I agree, it was nothing to get too excited about, pretty cool for a bunch of teenage girls though.

I am not endorsing Kittie, I just think the girl has an amazing voice. Perhaps I should've been more clear about this, hehe:)

Satori

I didn’t like the first kittie album. Then I heard the paper doll ep while stoned and found that I enjoyed it more. i think her growls are good live. Still wasn’t motivated to buy it though.
I want to at least hear their new album- I mean, yes, they are young, and I think that they, like any band out there, have the potential to get either better or get worse. Im not necessarily a fan, but I want to see them do better than a lot of the other more mainstream bands. :p

i heard female death metal vocals a little while ago on the radio. I have no idea who it was, but to me it lacked the power of a male roar, which is an important element i think.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
oh, the powerful male roar! how powerfull it is! we must have the power!
this makes me think back to something totally random thats pissed me off since i was a little kid. anyone watch he-man and masters of the unvierse and she-ra growing up?
he man had cool rocking music, while she ra had this lame disco sounding shit.
:lol: on the radio you say? it was probably hole or something!! :lol:

anyways. that arch enemy with the chick (wages of sin) has been on my cd wish list a long damn time…its been out in japan forever correct? like over a year!? They are huge there. can you get it in the US!? last i heard you couldnt (well not easily anyways!)

:zzz: im sleepy.

Whenever I'm feeling down I just put on the Kittie's first album. My friend gave it to me when it came out. It always brings a smile to my face:lol:

I was talking about the new song in their new video and only this song. If you ever hear this tune I think it'll definitely change your mind about this chick's vocal talents, she does the scream-growl for almost the whole song and it sounds awesome. -Satori

Right. A new album. I gotcha. So, is it being played on the radio? I'll probably hear it sooner or later. I know what her voice sounds like. It'll be like hearing Slipknot on the radio. They'll play that...suUURRRrre. So, I'm sure Kittie would be aired. I haven't heard it yet. If it does, it'll be on Sunday so maybe I'll hear it soon.

oh, the powerful male roar! how powerful it is! we must have the power! -Evisceratrix

Ahhh....the sweet...SWEET sarcasm. I can hardly stand it! Yes! :lol: That's it! Anyways...what I wanted to say was...yes, that's right. You must have the MALE POWER ROARING in metal. Finally! Someone understands. :p

this makes me think back to something totally random thats pissed me off since i was a little kid. anyone watch he-man and masters of the unvierse and she-ra growing up? -Evisceratrix

You got pissed off even as a child? Sorry to hear that. My brother was the Heman freak. I didn't like all the hype over the muscle power. (vocal power is were it's at ;)) I found my early years of comedy in cartoons with the Looney Tunes. OK...that's all folks. (sorry!)

:cool:

"With a halo of bitter disease...Black paragon in lingering breath."

Originally posted by Opet

You got pissed off even as a child? Sorry to hear that. ]

yeah i was a raging little demoness-worse than that chick in the exorcist! hhaha!
ok i was exaggerating! :p but you should go try to rent a she ra cartoon and see how lame it could get. i was a little tomboy, and never understood why he-man kicked so much ass while she-ra just...looked purty and did witty little things all the time...she outwitted her enemies while he man just zapped em! which isnt soo bad its just...i dont know! i was a she-ra fan anyways though. i was she ra one halloween.

this past halloween i was shadow weaver!

oh, the powerful male roar! how powerfull it is! we must have the power!
on the radio you say? it was probably hole or something!!
hehe, nah it was on "3 hours of power" (an australian metal radio program thing) and they were death metal vocals, not just a girl screaming or anything. To me this one example (whoever it was) just didnt sound right, im certain it could sound really good though if done well.

Well.... time for some mozart.