Kittie and Howling Monkeys

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
So I'm watching much Loud on the tele and I see this video from that all girl teenage metal group from ontario called Kittie.

Getting over the shock of how a teen chick could use her feet that well on a drum kit, the lead singer chick starts doing a growl/scream combo not unlike that of our beloved hero Mikael (henceforth known as god).

I am shocked that she can growl this fucking well! You can tell it's a girl cuz it's not as deep as a guy, but it's every bit as harsh, shrill, powerful, and nasty as your typically amazing death metal singer. She's fucking cool!

Speaking of growls, I watched a show on the rainforest tonight whilst hitting the bowl. Feature briefly on this program was one of our cousins called the howler monkey.

This monkey does the death metal voice perfectly! It's got a deep growl with this hissy scream going on at the same time, it's so cool.

Anyway, growling rocks, and the 2 best growlers I've ever heard are god and the chick from Kittie. They should get together and do duet I think. God, are you listening?

Satori

WOW! Satori, I had never heard of the Howler monkey (AND I LOVE MONKEY'S) so I perused further, listen to the Howler monkey howl and now the more I listen to their unique groovey howling the more I love the cute little furry Howler Monkey...:lol:
howmnsm.jpg

I've seen Kittie a couple of times - she can growl pretty good. Crisis has another decent female growler too.

As for monkeys, I'll leave that for primate studies.:)

yeah Mercedes' double bass drumming is faster then it was.
but kittie still is numetal, and mallcore fucking sux.
'puting back metal into people' my ass, thats fucking bullshit.
they wont last that long.
as for the singer, her voice can be powerful as well as opera IX's singer as far as i know. i dont listen to alot of female fronted bands.

!us nioj

NP: Children Of Bodom - Bed Of Razors

Yeah, I saw Kittie at Ozzfest a few years ago. They were pretty good. Yet again, they are numetal and won't last very long.

I have to check out that howler monkey..my sound card is messed up right now. I can't find the drivers for it. :(

I used to like Kittie when I was into some numetal bands.
After all it was Slipknot that got me into metal, so...
Sorry guys! >:eek:P

I remember really liking kittie.
They work well, listening to in the morning when you're
extremly pissed that you had to get up early >:eek:P
I wanna sleep for fuck's sake! Hehe...

Well, I dunno...
Can't really say I enjoy the growling all THAT much.
She's not near "God"'s growling, or some other guys...
Girls often sound squeky when growling... But I like it when
she goes deep with her voice... I don't like her clean vox,
and the guitar sound is quite boring....after all; it's nu.
I think it's the bassist that does some of the deeper growling
in the background? Then it's her that kicks some arse,
not the uhm... "real" vocalist! >:eek:P Hehe...

I enjoy opera IX more, because the music is WAY better! :eek:)

Blackspirit: Its the guitarist, Falon, that was doing the background vocals. But now shes not in the band anymore.
And yes Opera IX definetaly kiks more ass. The singers got the attitude of a Norse Viking Goddess. Much like you. :p

Kittie???? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats funny!
Shadow and Arch Enemy has female vocalist! They are very good.
The first time I saw Cynic, they had a girl doing the death vocals and keyboards.
Kittie? HAHAHAHAHA! Numetal? hahahaha!

Originally posted by Confessor
Blackspirit: Its the guitarist, Falon, that was doing the background vocals. But now shes not in the band anymore.
And yes Opera IX definetaly kiks more ass. The singers got the attitude of a Norse Viking Goddess. Much like you. :p

Fallon quit? What did I miss!? Oh well...
Shit happens when you're digging deeper
into metal, you lose all updates on former
loved bands >:eek:P I don't care! >:eek:P hehe....
I have Opeth! :eek:)

i heard female death metal vocals a little while ago on the radio. I have no idea who it was, but to me it lacked the power of a male roar, which is an important element i think.

I guess it just sounded like she was trying to immitate the male roaring.

I think it's rather sad that some of you can't appreciate someone's vocal merely because you attach this lame "nu-metal" label to it. What is this, high school?

Grow up guys. Many people have something to offer, even if you don't like them, it doesn't mean they suck. Don't get so hung up and trapped within your tastes and what you think is "cool".

If you have actually heard the tune I'm talking about, then say so and explain why you think she sucks at growling, don't just label her and suggest she sucks merely by this association cuz that's just idiotic. I happen to think the vast majority of growlers are absolutely horrible and unlistenable by the way, Mikael is really one of the only ones that doesn't make me laugh, well, and the Kittie chick too, cuz she if fucking great at growling. If I could growl half that well, I'd be a happy boy.

Get a grip (you know who you are),
muwhaha,

Satori

Originally posted by Tribal
Kittie???? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thats funny!
Kittie? HAHAHAHAHA! Numetal? hahahaha!

Wow, could you dazzle me with your open-mindedness and brilliance any more? I'm reminded of being a teenager, which I guess is a good thing, in a way.

Looking on the bright side,

Satori

Originally posted by Jo
WOW! Satori, I had never heard of the Howler monkey (AND I LOVE MONKEY'S) so I perused further, listen to the Howler monkey howl and now the more I listen to their unique groovey howling the more I love the cute little furry Howler Monkey...:lol:
howmnsm.jpg

I listened to this. It's soooo cool. The nature show I watched sounded a little cooler cuz there was a bunch of them doing it, but this link gives you the idea.

I love the smooth powerfulness of it. I wish I could growl as good as a howler monkey, hehe. ;p

Thanks for the link. I think monkeys are cool too, I love all animals but this one inparticular blows me away because they are so very much like ourselves in such a great multitude of ways.

That reminds me of something. Sometimes children are born with an old recessive characteristic expressed and their entire bodies are covered in thick hair, just like our monkey counterparts (it's actually the same gene in monkeys and in humans, it's just that in monkeys it is expressed and in humans is it not).

Anyway, primates rock, and I'm quite happy to be one. cheers,

Satori

Originally posted by Satori

I didn't know about this. The Kittie chick was the first female growler I've ever heard. I'm intrigued, thanks for the info,

Satori

You would be surprised; there are many female growlers out there. Funny you mention Kittie; they are making an appearance next week at a record store here in Chicago. Maybe I'll tell them they are of interest in the Opeth forum.