New To Opeth

Lacrawl

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2004
Hey, I have been listening to Ayreon's newest album, "The Human Equation", and I love Akerfeldt's vocals on there. I'm not really a fan of death metal, but I can deal with about 50% death and 50% melodic vocals on albums. I was wondering, are there any album's by opeth that have at least 50% clean vocals? I know that "Damnation" supposedly is about 50 50 but kind of puts you to sleep. Can someone tell me any albums by Opeth that I would enjoy or list a couple albums and describe how the vocals are on it? Thank you.

Damnation is ALL light music...No death growls but the music isnt exactly heavy either...Good to pick up if you want something mellow.

As for a suggestion...I highly suggest Blackwater Park. It's all I've been listening to for the past few months. It's heavy but really melodic at the same time. There is a good mix of death/clean vocals as well as a mix of heavy/soft moments. Definitly Opeth's best.

Still Life and Morningrise are also good picks. Still Life is a lot like Blackwater Park and Morningrise is a little more raw but its also great and packs some awesome acoustic parts.

Welcome to Opeth :)

if you ask me Åkerfeldt's growls are so different from your standard Floridian death growls, so I recommend every album they have made. I can only think of one song that might sway you of, and that is the song Wreath.
I also recommend Katatonia :)

Elek - Thanks, man!

Illnath - Yeah his growls definitely are different. And I already listen to Katatonia. I love the newer stuff.

x3x opeth x2x - I'm just not too big of a fan of tons of death growls.

I prefer cheap beer over expensive wine. NOT in a metaphorical sense.

gunhaver said:
akerfeldt is a king with the death vocals. everyone else is a failure however

Good work. You've just gone from semi-intelligent to incredibly stupid.

Lacrawl said:
x3x opeth x2x - I'm just not too big of a fan of tons of death growls.

I was the same way. It will grow on you.

Personally, I think Still Life is a good choice for you at this point.

Decadent said:
:lol:

Back to the topic - most new members are responsive to Blackwater Park, so I'd suggest you check that out. If you get disheartened with the opener track, just skip to 'Bleak' or 'The Drapery Falls' and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

Over time the vocals will grow on you and you'll realize that the Opeth material of higher artistic merit is the stuff that's more obscure, and harder to subject yourself to. The initially repulsive tracks on BWP such as 'The Leper Affinity', 'The Funeral Portrait' and the title track. Most notably also the entirety of the Still Life album.

my 1st was Blackwater Park, so i vote w/ the others on that... i had never listened to death growls before and now i really love it. well, at least opeth's.
and get damnation too. and maybe also the dvd Lamentations.

Opeth worked for me as a stepping stone to extreme music and basically got me to appreciate growling.

If only other people would give it a go. Just about everyone I know dismisses it as "shouting noise" if they don't love it on first listen. sigh.

There's no doubt about it - growling is not for the faint of heart. However, in music like Opeth / My Dying Bride / some Katatonia it's just perfectly suited to display the kind of emotions involved.

As far as Opeth go, Blackwater Park is the most commercial sounding / ear friendly album they have released imho. The growls on that record as far easier for a new fan to take because of the higher amount of clean vocals / light tones that this album has. Blackwater Park, with the exclusion of Damnation, is probably the lightest record that Opeth have made.

On the other end of the scale, the most brutal of growling exhibitions from Mike would be found on My Arms Your Hearse (he had a cold on this record, so he seems to have a deeper growl imho). Closely tying (in terms of growling), would be Deliverance. I think (despite the album being a slight step back muscially), the growling on this record shows Mike being more diverse with how he growls and shows him being the absolute master of this art.

The first two Opeth records, Orchid and Morningrise respectively, had Mike growling in a more high pitched Black Metal style. He switched to lower growls after these two records (and also when he recorded Brave Murder Day & Sounds of Decay with Katatonia).

With metal overall having evolved so much since the 80's, I dont think anyone these days will accept a growler who isn't talented at what they do. When you learn to appreciate growling, you realise how much of a fine form for vocal brutality it serves, and also that it requires a LOT of skill to master.

I personally now have more respect for a good growler than a good clean vocalist.

I had Morningrise for quite some time but it was Blackwater Park that really made me a fan. His work on Ayreon was great. Anyways, I highly recomend Blackwater Park for a first album, tracks like 'The Drapery Falls', 'Harvest', and 'Bleak' are definitely stand outs and I think you will enjoy their growl/sing ratio. After that I would say Still Life would be another good choice, because it has about the same feel as Blackwater Park although a bit emptier. (SW's production on BWP slays, and definitely give it a spacious consuming vibe that draws the listener in.) Of course, Still Life is still a great album and full of mellow parts and if I'm remembering a fairly good growl/sing ratio, with two non-growling tracks on the album. I do not recommend anything else until you are used to and can tolerate the growling or in all hopes, fully enjoy it. The first 2 releases are a bit different as has been mentioned before it is more of a black metal screech and not growling, also if you're not into the growling do not get Deliverance or My Arms, Your Hearse, they are all about the growl. Hope you enjoy and that I could help.