What would make Opeth even better for you?

Originally posted by warsofwinter
You made a great point there . I guess I wasn't really focusing on Opeth's music .. I got that Idea from a thing I watched on sat one day . This guy is a producer but at home he just does short videos (like a rain drop falling from the sky ) but he has a lot of time to produce shorter videos so they come out really nice .. he works a lot with the colors of plants and focusing . I enjoy focus a lot in a video gives more importance to things that people usually would not see . It would be awesome if the camera followed one rain drop down and then it broke through the layer of mist at the forest ground level .. and then it just stayed there focusing on the hole that the drop made in the mist and after about 30 seconds of that more rain drops would start falling and making more holes as the camera went on a journey through the forest at just above the mist level .

I wish I could get a producer and a bunch of people to make videos for me ... Id have so much fun just watching all my ideas on TV .. haha

Aha man, you're a genius!!

That is outstanding imagery! If I could translate the images I have in my head right now directly onto film, I tell you what!! We'd have one serious video!!

'Breaking through the layer of mist' THAT's the part! Dammit!

I've got all these dark yet beautifully rich colours in my head all the greens and browns of the forest but made a thousand times more intense. The crystal blue grey of the mist that floats and swirls and the dark angry purple/blue of the sky! Then the raindrop just breaks the surface and the mist ripples away. Ouch man! it feels like I'm on a trip but it's not chemically enhanced!!!!

(Actually WarHead is probably online, I get high off the fumes when WarHead's around here! Great!)

Opeth could try, maybe only once or twice, the following:

Shred guitar solo's. Technical stuff is cool.

Try to get some HAPPY in there! Something nice that makes you smile (and shut up if you say they already do this... what song, please tell me?)

a bit of GROOVE on some of their songs. something almost funk a bit. (listen to Dream Theater's "The Test That Stumped Them All" from 2:55 to 3:17 for what i mean about the groove thing... and wait the technical solo is there too heheh... Opeth should do something like that)

I repeat, SAXOPHONES would sound killer during some of the slower stuff, and if one disc is going to be "psychadelic" (in Mike's own words!), then why not?

Originally posted by veil the sky

Aha man, you're a genius!!

That is outstanding imagery! If I could translate the images I have in my head right now directly onto film, I tell you what!! We'd have one serious video!!

'Breaking through the layer of mist' THAT's the part! Dammit!

I've got all these dark yet beautifully rich colours in my head all the greens and browns of the forest but made a thousand times more intense. The crystal blue grey of the mist that floats and swirls and the dark angry purple/blue of the sky! Then the raindrop just breaks the surface and the mist ripples away. Ouch man! it feels like I'm on a trip but it's not chemically enhanced!!!!

(Actually WarHead is probably online, I get high off the fumes when WarHead's around here! Great!)

haha well lets phone tim burton and music for natiosn and mikael and find a few thousand bucks .. and make a god damn video hhah .. sounds simple

Originally posted by Satori
I think Opeth would be even cooler (if that's possible) if they had more speed and brutality in their music. I've always been a fan of that whole insane half-step speed metal stuff, it gives me such a fucking boner from hell.

Odd as this sounds, I think it would be super cool if Opeth had a guest vocalist on a song or two (yes, I'm aware of Wilson's contributions), someone very different than Mikael, like maybe a soft female voice or something to contrast the growls, that would be absolutely fucking insane.

What do you guys think? What elements would you like to see added to Opeth?

Satori

Ahh dude, interesting question.

I'd like to see more epic stuff.

Acoustics mixed with riffs riffs riffs.

No female vox, too cliche'.

I'd like to see more jazzy stuff (I dig jazz a lot) mixed with brutal metal; those Opeth moments from one extreme to the other are sublime. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about/

An idea that no one seems to have mentioned which I think would work quite well with the Opeth sound is the church organ.

I think some of Opeth's more epic moments would sound amazing with a great organ sound. Something like My Dying Bride's 'From Darkest Skies' would sound really good.

I'm not sure about female vocals either. Especially considering Mikael's subject matter. I think it's best that we only hear his side of things.....

Of course a video would be great (if done properly). Once again, to use My Dying Bride, they made their 'Cry of Mankind' video from what appears to be not much of a budget, yet it turned out amazing. Perhaps Opeth could do better than they anticipate!

ha ha ha I think it's funny that everyone is wanting opeth to do stuff that other bands have already done :lol: . Isn't the reason you like opeth is because of there originality?

But I would love to see an Opeth video that would be cool if done right like so many ppl have said before me. I don't think the sax would sound right with opeth but defianly the grand piano, ohh that gives me a hard on just thinking about it.

I don't think a video would ruin the music for me, but a live DVD would certainly be nice - one with multiple angles and 5.1 sound.

Admit it, that'd be fantastic. The closest thing you can get to being there (until Holo-Opeth)..

I think more Orchid-type solos. They're more melodic and really never sound tacked on.

I think some sax would sound amazing, as would a dose of Hammond.

You have to know that anything they put on an album will be top quality material, no matter what instruments they add or directions they take. Risks they may be, but they haven't let us down yet (*knock on wood*) :lol:

Originally posted by Hearse
Agreed with metalmancpa Opeth music video would be GREAT!

I once read Mikael said something about they would only do a video if they could make something completely unique, never done before. Eventually, I think they'll do it!

Satori

i dont see how making a music video would make opeth better, opeth are a band and about music, its not about their image, a video would be totally seperate to opeth and while it may be interesting would not make opeth as a band any better

if we're talking about the music then i would like to see more piano, and perhaps some sax, though used sparingly, i would also like to see more experimental soundscapes like in the acoustic section of under the weeping moon...

I'd love to hear Opeth free from the confines of their repetitive formula and make the music breathe even more - more improvisation, more polyphony (or minimalism and sonic desolation for a change), more brutality and more daring experimentation - experimental noise, free jazz, avant-garde, whatever Mikael would like to pursue.

I'd prefer them to stay a guitar-based band (no dimburger cheese-keys), to keep the vocal duality and to enhance it even more - like layering of growled vocals of various pitches and guitar-noise over a jazzy rhythm-section - but this question is like "What elements do Opeth need to include to become your perfect dream-band?"

D Mullholand